Dearborn Heights, MI
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

An authentic Montessori school like Dearborn Heights Montessori not only prepares a child for the real world, the curriculum offers many opportunities to experience the real world. A quality Montessori program provides a rigorous curriculum that satisfies the needs of all children no matter what level of ability they may have. Also, one of the primary components of a Montessori curriculum is to move the child to independence. This requires that the student must be self-motivated and learn how to manage his or her time. As a student moves into the upper elementary and middle school grades in our program, these skills become invaluable. Regarding homework, the volume does increase at the upper and middle school grades but does not replace the work required in the classroom. Homework typically includes subject areas that require repetition and practice, i.e. math and reading, and is never simply busy work . If, however, a student is not able to complete required work during the school day, he or she has the choice to take the work home so that a deadline isn t missed. Other at home projects may include finalizing reports, creating presentation boards, etc. The real world of high school and college requires not only homework but also time management and self-motivation. Regarding music and art, we are thrilled to be able to continue to provide these programs when many schools are forced to eliminate them. At Dearborn Heights Montessori Center, music and art are offered in addition to physical education, world languages, technology and a variety of other opportunities both during and after the school day. Our music program, executed by an educated and talented music teacher with many years of experience, provides exposure to many things including learning about famous composers; learning how to use a variety of rhythm instruments; learning to read music through playing the recorder; dance and movement; singing and performance; and much more. Our art program offers students at the elementary level a 75 minute class, once per week, led by an educated and experienced art teacher. The elementary curriculum is presented using the elements of art line, shape, color, and texture with the express purpose of building skills at all levels. Students have the opportunity to learn about famous artists and their styles and the chance to expand their artistic ability, using symmetry drawing, sculpting, still life drawing, performance art, and much more. In addition, art materials are available in the classrooms for use by students in creating presentations and illustrating their work. At the middle school level, art is offered as an elective in which the student creates work in a medium of choice. Art at the preschool and kindergarten level is embedded in the classrooms, with a variety of art materials available at all times. In addition, a weekly art appreciation lesson presents stories about artists and their work in an entertainng way. Visit our website or schedule a tour to see for yourself how a quality Montessori school like Dearborn Heights Montessori Center can benefit your child.
January 17, 2014

Posted July 22, 2014
This school is truly a gift to both my child and our whole family. You will not find another school with teachers and administration so committed and supportive of their families and children. They always place the child's best interest first in decisions they make. My child has grown tremendously due to this amazing learning environment. As a multicultural family, the diversity of the student and staff body was attractive to us. The diverse student and staff body allows for rich cultural lessons in the classroom and beautiful multicultural school events like the Cultural Festival. An outstanding school!

Dearborn Heights Montessori Center 4

Posted June 25, 2014
Very disappointed. My daughter attended this school since the age of two. And is now approaching the second grade and we decided to withdraw her enrollment due to the school appearing unable to address race issues in an effective and fair manner. The Dean and. Assistant principal minimized our concerns and dismissed our feelings when we asked for the child to be removed from our daughters class who on more than one occassion told our daughter she could not play because she was Black and because Brown people have sweaty hands and playing with them would make her sick and she would need to go to the hospital. The school seems to pride itself on embracing diversity but it seems that when a real situation in regards to tolerance and differences is brought to them they are ill equiped to handle the situation. They attempted to make us feel sorry for this child and their family instead of attempting to accommodate us and our concerns or what they could do to make our child and family feel comfortable. Dearborn Heights Montessori does not really practice what they preach.

Posted March 07, 2014
Our mission is to provide a safe, nurturing environment, unifying academic challenge with quality opportunities for social, emotional, and intellectual growth. This includes a multicultural emphasis that values individuality and attainment of each child s fullest potential. With the Montessori philosophy as our foundation, we guide development of responsibility and respect by cultivating independent thinking, self-awareness, cooperation and inner discipline.

Posted March 05, 2014
Dearborn Heights Montessori teachers gave my children very little personalized attention. The school body was divided, with a large population of children of Middle Eastern descent, and a smaller population of white children. The two groups of children did not interact with each other. It has been a few years, so I'm not sure if that is still the case. One of my children did suffer daily ridicule from a few children, and we were repeatedly brushed off by administration. My child was even forced to share a locker with the other student who was constantly teasing him. After enduring months of this we finally pulled all three out of DHMC, and we are so happy that we made the right choice. The staff at this school is overly concerned with how the public views them. They tend to brush matters (of importance) off to avoid dealing with the negative feedback that the school might receive.

Posted February 05, 2014
Toddler program was great. Preschool was a disaster. We had to pull out our son after two months. We don't know if the Montessori system was just a bad fit for him or if this specific classroom was the issue. Unfortunately, we will never know since we were not allowed to try him in a different classroom. Thankfully, he loves his new preschool and is doing great! None of the problems we had at Montessori. Be advised that you have to commit to the full year's (substantial) tuition which will not be reimbursed if your child has to leave the school for whatever reason. Even with a tuition reimbursement insurance (that we paid for) we were only able to recover 50% of the tuition and lost more than $2000!

Posted January 07, 2014
this school doesn't prepare you for the real world. The staff are nice but they really only focus on the ones who are thriving in a classroom setting, for example i was struggling and the teachers did little to help me other than to finish all my work, as i fell farther and farther behind. Also we did a lot of homework, but not very much of it actually mattered, it was mostly busy work. Also we had to go to a music class 2 times a week were we sang the same songs over and over again, then in the end of the year we had to stand on bleachers in the 100 degree gym and sing songs for the audience for three hours. Also if you have an artistic child this is not a good school because you have very little art opportunity, and very bad art assignments to improve your skills. If your considering this school, save your child and your money and send them to a different school.

Posted November 04, 2012
My child has been at DHMC for several years now and has had a wonderful experience. The teachers have been concerned, caring, and very supportive of my child's development mentally and emotionally. My child was bullied for a short time by another student who was asked to leave the school. The teachers and staff were very careful about their approach with both children. Educationally this school prepares children with how to learn, not just learning rotely.

Posted October 27, 2012
In this school, its all talk, not do. If I had a dollar for every time they said no to my child for asking for help, I would be a millionaire. They are extremely concerned about how the public perceives them. When you go to apply to put your child into this school, they have people that can speak in a way that will make you believe your child will be taken care of. WRONG. The only time they were actually concerned about my child is when we said we were leaving. They tried to talk their talk to me, but I realized how manipulative they can be with their words. If you are considering putting your child in this year.. think long and hard. The only parents that are happy with school is the ones who donate and help out a lot to get treated special from the teachers. The staff was afraid of the principal.. too much discluding.. so much drama.. never come here. Take your child to a real school before they graduate and go off to high school and be confused about everything.

Posted May 17, 2012
I am beyond happy with both of my childs' education at DHMC! I have never had a problem with disrespectful teachers or administrators. If I have ever needed to talk to a teacher they have taken time to call me within that day. My children are amazingly prepared because of the outstanding education given to my children. I wouldn't send them anywhere else! They have bent over backwards to help with my child's food allergies and molded two great, energetic and inquisitive children. Thank you DHMC!!!

Posted April 09, 2012
We have had an absolutely fantastic experience with DHMC. I'm shocked at the negative reviews. I have two children in this school & from the Toddler Program up I can't say enough good things about it. The teachers are attentive & involved. I can come in any time/day & see the class. I can contact the teachers by phone/email at all times. The parents and families are top tier everyone really cares about the DHMC community. There is no school around this area that can touch DHMC. I searched high and low for something for my children by visiting several schools & speaking with alumnae. DHMC was clearly the best choice. As far as these reviews about media in the room, get with it, this is the age of technology if you think your kids are sitting in a public school not watching DVDs your wrong (although probably VHS). As for power point & interactive learning, get with the program that's what your kids will use in the real world. One last comment on bullying. I had a small instance where I was concerned with another child. I brought it to the teachers immediately and it was addressed immediately. Nothing out of ordinary for any school and NO bulling is tolerated here.

Dearborn Heights Montessori Center
466 N John Daly Rd, Dearborn Heights, MI  48127
Last modified Dearborn Heights Montessori Center is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Dearborn Heights Montessori Center Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 75 reviews. Top