West Village Academy

Charter | K-8 & ungraded | 413 students

Living in Dearborn

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $70,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $780.

Posted February 23, 2014

I've been here for years! Seen lots of good kids graduate and become successful! It's small and staff works well... I heart WVA!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 10, 2013

My oldest son attended this school from K-8. The entire staff is wonderful! The afterschool program/staff is awesome! Parents should get more involved in their child or children's education within the school ie: volunteering at the school, attending parent teacher conferences, PIC meetings, etc.. As a parent, it is one of my top priorities to be involved in both of my sons' schools & the relationships I've developed with the staff & other parents is great. I have a 4th grader attending WVA & look forward to sending my youngest son here next year for Kindergarten. Keep up the good work staff & parents! TOGETHER, we can make WVA an even better school! ~ Mrs. Robinson, VP, PIC Committee 2013-2014 #GottaLoveThoseWildcats!

Posted August 27, 2013

My son has attended WVA since 2ng grade and at first the school and the staff were all wonderful. I dont know what happened between 2nd and 5th, but somewhere in between this school lost its compassion, great teachers left leaving my son with 2 subs and finally a teacher. Now dont get me wrong there are some faculty that has been there for a long time who still care but as for the new teachers and staff they are horrible. My son is not perfect but it seems as if the kids who they did not want to put up with got expelled for silly reasons etc. Also the after school program for tutoring is NOT helpful at all. They rarely work on things that help them and its more of a babysitter program. I fell in Love with this school from the beginning and now I feel as though its going down hill. My son is going to the 6th and he will not be returning to WVA.

Posted July 23, 2013

West Village Academy. I feel the school caters to the exceptionally quick learning,and the rest will be lost in the dust. I agree that some staff are unprofessional my son had some caring teachers. Kg was Mrs. Welch,1st Mrs.King 2nd is where it went bad having a teacher then 2subs. 3rd Mr. Siik went above and beyond for his students for that I say Thank you job well done Mr.Siik. I am praying that God will bless my son with a school he is going to love to wake up and attend everyday rather than make excuses to stay home. Signed a concered parent.

Posted May 8, 2013

This school is terrible. It use to be a really nice, I been there since kindergarten, but now the students are out of control. There are so many fights everyday in the middle school. The teachers are really good but the students are terrible. I would not recommend your kid to go to this school.

Posted September 18, 2012

This school is over bearing ! Do not send any child under 3 rd grade their .Ive had the worst experience , The staff does not like you to check on your child you almost wonder what are they hiding?This school is for older kids that can take care of themselves! Do not send any little people there! Save yourself the stress parents!

Posted August 28, 2012

This is my son's 2nd year at WVA, & I love it! The teachers are wonderful, caring and educated in their fields. The administration is great! Any problems, concerns or issues are addressed and everyone is like Family!!! My son comes home happy everyday and hardly has anything bad to say. Congratulations on all the improvements & I look forward to another great year at WVA.

Posted August 9, 2012

my daughter went to school here for two years and I have to say that she fell behind during her time here. When ever she turned in projects i would'nt know her grade on them. Once she turned in a research paper and it was returned to her without a grade. I took it up to the school and asked what the grade was and the principle had to call the teacher. His response was if there was no grade on it then it was a 100%. I know for a fact that there were some grammer errors and missing punctuation marks. There was no feed back on the paper. When I spoke to her teachers in regards to her grades and missing assignments, I was told that she wasn't missing anything or failing any classes, but when I got her report card days later. She was failing a class and missing assignments. I'm not sure what is going on at this school, but I do know that there needs to be a major improvement at this school.

Posted June 7, 2012

The sentence was incorrect. Mrs Willus not only taught my son,but she taught him how to be responsible for his own education. To not depend on his parents but himself. She made him accountable with no excuses. Thanks Mrs.Tarver

Posted July 6, 2011

This school prepare your children for nothing. I am so glad my mother took me out in 7th grade and enrolled me in a public school. Now that I have graduated high school & off to college, I'm happy I have the chance to rate this school from a couple years back. I have witnessed myself a teacher choking a child in the classroom. The students are undisciplined. I remember a couple of students in the morning class started throwing shoes at each other. I suspect nothing has changed due to some comments i have already read. Oh and by the way, when my mom moved me to a public school i was very much behind the other kids and had to work extra. WORST SCHOOL EVER.

Posted October 20, 2010

I Love my student's 4th & 5th Grade Teacher's....They ROCK! Always supporting me in my ups and downs and cares for my kids!

Posted April 23, 2010

This was my daughters first year at this school and I would say she learned a whole lot in one year here. She has excelled in reading, math, writing, and other subjects. The teachers here are very friendly and helpful. The parent involvement is better than a lot of schools. Her teacher Mrs. Adler was great and I would love if she could be my daughters first grade teacher. This school was a wonderful experience even the teacher assistant Mrs. Smith was great.

Posted January 15, 2009

This a wonderful school and since Mrs. White has been leading our Wildcats I have seen a significant differences with my student and the teachers!!! Hopefully she stays around because she is awesome and she is well respected because she gives respect in return. You can go and talk to her about anything and she will help you solve the matter. The teachers talk highly of her and thats great when you get good feedback from staff so that means she is genuine and its not just a front.

Posted October 10, 2008

The new admin and school board are good they care a lot for our children.

Posted June 25, 2008

Since there has been an administartion change, once again, maybe things will get better. The old administration and people in charge of discipline management were bullies and unprofessional. Administrators do not have to have state teaching credentials or even administrative education to be They used suspension and expulsion as a remedy instead of providing assistance and management.

Posted April 11, 2008

First of all, I find it hard for a child to be educated without resources like books. For some of the curriculum it seems as thoughit was pulled out of a hat. I took my child out for that reason.WHen my child entered Detroit Public Schools they were at least a year behind, compared to what they had previously been taught at W.V.A South. The school is not preparing the students academically. They are failing them at a rapid pace. Charter schools need to properly use the money given to them on behalf of the students from the state. I frequently pick my nephew up from W.V.A. South and it still boggles my mind that with an increasing number of African American students enrolled, there is less than 1 percent of African American teachers. The couple that I have seen seems to 'our 'children.

Posted December 9, 2007

I understand there are specialists helping teachers give good instruction for students. I just wish there was a music class.

Posted November 22, 2007

As a teacher at West Viallge Academy, I would like for prospective parents to know that we do not have a high teacher turnover, we have a great caring staff that have been with the school for years. We have rules and expectations like any other school and the students that get suspended have major behavior problems that take away from teaching and learning. Parents are always welcome and teachers do ask for volunteers to come and help with field trips, parties and special classroom activities.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 10, 2007

This school focuses on Suspension of Students more than anything else. The Principle is not seen by parents and though the administration asks for parental involvement, it is a lie... There is a high teacher turnover here and high student turnover, I am taking my children out of this school. This is a horrible school and I do not recommend anyone sending their children here.!!!!!!!

Posted July 19, 2007

Quite frankly, the current administration is leaps and bounds ahead of the previous administration.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

51 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

49 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 84% 18%

Male 250%N/A52%
Source: 1 MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013
Source: 2 NCES, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Reading specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Special education

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Reading specialist(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3530 Westwood St