Holt Junior High School

Public | 7-8 | 952 students

Posted August 23, 2013

as eighth grade student there, I don't really appreciate this school, of course because I'm a kid and every kid hates school but let me tell you why I hate it. at this school the teachers yell at you for how you're dressing when you aren't breaking any rules, they just want to yell at someone so they yell at us for no reason. this school is not my school of choice that's for sure. and that was one example of why I hate this school.

Posted February 7, 2013

I have had 2 of my 3 kids go through this school so far. I will send my 3rd one without any hesitation! Only things I can "complain" about is that some of the math teachers are rude and don't seem to want to help the kids when they need it (not all, some), and there is 1 lady in the main office (out of several that work in there) that NEVER smiles, NEVER makes you feel welcome, and always makes you feel like you are a horrible human being for coming in there! If it wasn't for the other ladies....I don't think anyone would go in there. Love the principal! Love all the other teachers and staff. :)

Posted January 21, 2011

I think holt schools are good schools. my older children went there in the early 80's, and the wrer more advanced, then other school's.

Posted November 5, 2009

I do not agree with the quality this school seems to show on these ratings. 1. Nothing offered for above average students. We were told our daughter would have to wait until Senior High... but they do have 6 football teams. And a socially competitive environment if you think junior high isn't hard enough.

Posted September 16, 2008

Well, this is mostly a very good school. I do like how most of the teachers can relate well to all the students. One of the major problems though is that security gaurds and office workers are not very kind to students or parents.

Posted August 15, 2007

I'd like to see Holt implement letter grades earlier than 7th grade. The new experience of combining two middle schools to become a class of 500 students, juggling 5-6 classes/teachers, and getting letter grades for the first time is too much change at once...implementing letter grades at the middle school would be better for the students. Holt also needs more emphasis on fine arts...we have no elementary art program and no strings program at all in the district, compared to our neighbors in East Lansing and Okemos. Dr. Scott, the principal, is outstanding...he is always in the halls interacting with students. He knows what's going on and is very communicative and proactive.

Posted February 20, 2007

I was just at the Jr High for 8th and 7th grade. It's a pretty good school. The prinicipal was really great. He was on the anouncements a lot nad i saw him in the hallways every day. I don't even really know what my principal looks like up-close at the 9th grade campus. One thing though is that the staff in the office or the security guards were never really nice to any of the kids and even to my parents. I also had some not so great teachers and some great ones at the same time
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 5, 2007

This is our first year at holt. We moved from the lansing district. The staff and students have been wonderful in helping my child adjust. This is the first year for lockers, several diferent classes and teachers. I volunteer in the a.M. At the school. I wanted to see for myself how things were. I am very pleased with what am getting to be a part of. The principle knows students names and stops, talks to them, asks about their school work, sports, and family. I have often seen him playing basketball with the students. The staff knows the students and interacts with them the same way. Staff members are continuesly asking how my child is adjusting, if we need anything and stopped my child to ask about her report card. The academics are also excellent. Students have a well rounded positive learning enviroment. Thanks holt staff for all you do!

Posted January 31, 2007

I account the principal is a good disciplinarian. Additionally I think this school has a good learning environment

Posted November 7, 2006

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Holt my daughter is thriving at this school , the teachers and parental involvement are what make the difference and I truly encourage anyone to give Holt Junior High a chance!!

Posted September 8, 2006

I love Holt schools so much! I went to Detroit for two years until I transfered to I Gardner(Lansing). I was only at Gardner for a month last year until my parents had to transfer me to Holt. But, Holt was different. When I first walked in to my new school in Holt, I could smell a different smell. The school smelled clean, the lockers were twice the size, and the bathroom stalls auctually had doors. I made friends easily because the people are so nice. Now, this is my 3RD year at Holt. I use to be a girl who tranferred and moved to different cities all the time, now I belong somewhere, I belong in Holt.

Posted August 27, 2006

Holt Junior High is a great school. All the teachers are excellent and I know all the other students at Holt like them a lot also. I also have to mention the excellent principal and his team of helpers. They are all great. myself in the two years I have been at Holt Junior High School I have had about 20 complements on how great my school is and I just say back,'Oh thanks I love my school.' And I truly mean it.

Posted August 20, 2006

I Love Going to this school I met lots of good friends they have Great teachers And the Prinicpal is awsome!

Posted July 8, 2006

With a strong principal for leadership and teaching excellence, Holt Junior High School is a growing urban school focused on learning. The emerging diversity is well blended and adds to the experience for the student. A much improved and more consistent discipline policy and management of the student behavior is needed however. If this school is to avoid the pitfalls of many other schools in the area. Without a clear on manageable policy, teachers will be mired in issues unrelated to teaching and this shinning gem may lose it's luster. Weak central administration makes this possibility almost a certainty over time. Strong parental evolvement seems to stop at the assistant principal's office. Parents need to take a stand with teachers and demand more than just lip service about discipline and place the responsibility on those who would undermine the learning and classroom instruction.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2014.

467 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

464 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

464 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 35% in 2014.

458 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2014.

457 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 20% in 2014.

457 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 11% 18%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 44%N/A48%
Source: MI Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1784 Aurelius Road