Bad
Good

golightly is terrible due to the new administration there old principle ms davis and mr woods were great know there new principle and academic engagement offices is terrible and needs to be fired or get there act together the teachers argue with students and discipline students with out reason especially there current science teacher who hasn't done a thing but harass her students and i have seen her teach and she just yells all day and focus on one person and there new administration is terrible and it wouldnt surprise me if golighly turn into an EAA

Principle is very professional and wants the best out of facility and students and it's show by the way the school us ran. I enroll only 1 child into their pre-k program. I was so impress he stayed and I brought my older child whom was attended another school to Golightly. I'm a really satisfied and know I made a great decision!

As a mother of a 4 year old son who currently attends Go Lightly Early Educational Center in the Pre-K program, I was skeptical of DPS Schools as a option for my only child. This particular Pre-K teacher was recommended to me by a family member who's son attended in previous years. I am so impressed with the way she conducts her classroom, her organizational skills are immpeciable, attitude stellar, and interaction with the children and parents far exceed my expectation. To date, this teacher still checks in on the progress of my cousin's older son and sincerely cares about his development as well as other students. Now that my son is in her class, I do see a difference in my son's language/vocabulary, motor skills, word choices and love for school. He picks up on the teacher's passion and lovable spirit to teach. She stands outside of her room each morning to greet the parents and always interacts with us via in-person and email. She keeps the parents informed by all channels and keeps us in the know about the activities our children are participating in. Keep up the good work Room Pre-K A102 - You so ROCK!

Detroit Public Schools as a whole have gone through a major change. But the staff and parents of Golightly Educational Center are working to maintain the excellence that has come to be expected at Golightly. I can only speak to the elementary school as my children are in the 3rd and 5th grades. This year the school has gotten a new principal and assistant principal. They seem very dedicated and focused on making Golightly a school of excellence both in the elementary and middle school building. This is the trial year for Golightly's middle school and if I don't like what i see, my children will be attending another middle school, and that's the truth.

I loved this school because it was original.

Golightly was a very good school about 5 years ago but now things have taken a turn for the worst. The teachers dont care, the behavior of some of the students is horrible. This school does not prepare the students for the rral world. I will be taking my child out of Golightly this year. I cant take it any more and you shouldnt either.

I am a parent that has participated with the Golightly Family since my child has started 1st Grade at Golightly. She is now a 7th Grade student at the school. I know the Administration, the teachers, the staff and the students. We have been like a family. I am sorry that some people feel negative towards our school. Maybe if they volunteer around the school with the kids/staff they will get a better impression. The school is still a nice school. You could make it better!!! ~Monica Frazier

I have been attending this school since kindergarten. I will be graduating from Golightly in 2009. I plan on going to Cranbrook. Golightly has really prepared me for everything I shall encounter. I have already passed my test for Cranbrook with flying colors, and I am smart enough to know that Golightly had something to do with this. I feel insulted when I see comments that our students are out of control. Our school was and is a very controlled school. Now, I will say, however, that there has been a slight behavior-related change since we've opened our school to Sherrard and Loving, two schools that closed. If anything, these students are the reason for your opinion. If you still feel that way, feel free to take your child elsewhere. By the way, I will be crying at graduation, I wish I didn't have to leave.

My daughter has attended GEC since 2004. Yes it has changed since last years school closings. GEC is still a very good school. High parent involvemnt. Very impressed with the hands on Dads I see every morning!! I have had one probelm with a teacher who was rude 'everyday' & felt she did not have to speak with you unless she felt like. Other than her, my child love GEC.

GEC has taken a turn for the worse. It was an excellent school, now it is just a neighborhood school. 5-8 has no discipline, teachers don't have control over the students, teachers bickering with the administration, NO and I mean NO parent participation.

Last modified Golightly Education Center is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.