Detroit, MI
After care: No

Posted August 03, 2014
Detroit School of Arts is one of the best kept secrets in the state of Michigan. The students are motivated , focused and ready to learn. I appreciate having a school community that is about the business of education. An excellent choice of a high performing high school. Applications are accepted on an ongoing bases.

Posted August 26, 2013
This school is amazing. When choosing a school you have to consider DSA. The test scores are amazing and teachers are why. They do their best with the students. They take their time to prepare for test and more. The school have a amazing performances and more. This is a true college prep school. Its a safe environment. This is a school to consider!!!

Posted September 29, 2011
I read each of the reviews that was submitted, and ended up saddened and appalled by some of the responses from the parents and the students. Dr. Denise Davis-Cotton, the founder of DSA had a vision in which she was able to bring to fruition by talking with people such as Max Fisher, and other "movers and shakers" to get the process of building a school so that students that were creative, talented , scholarly, and interested in working towards excellence would be able to achieve their respective goals. Inasmuch as she did this, to vilify the school, the curriculum, and the staff is too much. As a former educator in the DPS, I fully understand and recognize the fact that there are problems in many schools, whether they are DPS schools or schools throughout this country. Dr. Cotton has exhibited the right attitude, the steadfastness to work for the betterment of all students that enter the doors of DSA.She is one person. She wore many hats, some of them were very "Hard hats." I strongly suggest that instead of spewing hatefulness,, .rollup your sleeves, go to the school, volunteer, tutor ,, spend some time there.

Detroit School of Arts 1

Posted June 08, 2011
DSA is a Detroit Public School, need I say any more. I removed my child because I didn't feel she was safe. I felt the staff cared more about the new building than the lives of the students. Sure the school had security and metal detectors but they were inefficient. There was a high turnover of teachers and subs. They did a good job getting students into college but many are unprepared. They have great ideas but poor implementation. Removing my child was the best decision I've ever made regarding her education. Compared to other DPS schools it's better than average but compared to other Michigan schools, DSA is substandard.

Detroit School of Arts 1

Posted September 01, 2010
i hear that, they dont have anything to gather. the office was a mess, and because they kept loosing the assignments the students did, they were just giving them bad grades

Posted November 19, 2009
Iam a student of Detroit School of Arts ''DSA'' and iam very impressed with school. At first I was going to Cass Tech. but than I heard about DSA. So i had to choose and DSA won. Overall i have love this school.

Posted October 03, 2009
College prep with a fine arts/ performing arts specialty. The radio/ TV and Arts major are awesome

Posted June 30, 2009
When I went to DSA, I was educated the right way! The evening of fine arts 2009, really showed Detroit that DSA is the place to be for the arts!

Posted March 18, 2009
As a former student of dsa I am proud to say that I recieved an acceptable education from this school. DSA's academic and arts programs will prepare you for the real world, now watch this if you let it. Most of the time we determine an evaluation based upon what someone or something can do for us, when in fact the only way to sucess is U, sucess can only occur with U. So you might blame things on teachers, principals,and programs but unless U take sucess into your own hands you will never see a sucessful future. So as a pastor, an entrepenuer and a husband and father I am proud to be an achiever! I am proud to be DPS!!!

Posted September 23, 2008
The band classes that I have seen and heard are awesome. The new band director works very hard. It's hard to replace Mr. Quick, but Mr. Malabed came in and rolled with what he had. Mr. Malabed in district MSBOA festivals received both superior ratings for both groups at the district and state level. He also mangaged to find band scholarships for all of his seniors to go to school. In all, his seniors raised well over $700,000 in scholarship money to attend various universities around the country. Keep doing great work and don't forget about my daughter's class of 2008.

123 Selden St, Detroit, MI  48201
Last modified Detroit School of Arts is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Detroit School of Arts Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top