Burton International School 5

Posted March 07, 2012
I disagree with the comment before me. When he/she said that the kids run around the school/hallways, my case is what do you expect. It's a school with children. And if you are getting "mobbed" then move out the way. There kids . And what do you mean when he/she says that the kids were walking to their classrooms in a structured way. This is a Public school not a detention Facility. Anyways, Burton International is a great school . they have very outstadning academic studies that will teach your child get to high school. College is Not a option in my household and in the Burton House as well. i'm glad i put my 3 kids in Burton . Burton i where you should send your kid(s)

Burton International School 3

Posted June 13, 2011
Reputation aside, I dislike that the SERIOUS lack of structure for the children. Some staff are beautiful with the students but NOT all. Still the potential IS there. Parental involvement is seemingly good. PTA meetings always have big turnouts. However, I've noticed that boy students are suspended at an alarming rate. Especially when over the span of several years, I've observed inappropriate behaviors to be equal among both genders. I too was always turned off that students weren't walking in a structured way to their next class, but instead allowed to run and loiter through the hallways, staircases and bathrooms. I'd literally be unable to walk through the hallway without being mobbed by children. What was shocking was that it was always and still is allowed to go on. And this unruly conduct successfully makes its way into the classroom where I've seen on occasions, children in both the lower AND upper grades dismiss staff supervision to make learning impossible for average students. And this arguable but I'm convinced that this is the culture in this school. Burton is NOT certainly not the worst DPS school but it does NOT live up to it's reputation as the best school in DPS.

Burton International School 1

Posted May 13, 2011
My son went to Owens Academy which Burton took over this year. I kept my son in the school because of all the good reviews and test scores, but I was VERY unhappy with our experience. It didn't matter what time of day I went to my son's classroom, his teacher was always at her desk either on her cell phone or on her computer and the kids were running around and screaming. I really don't feel like he learned much either, we home schooled that last part of the year and he didn't even know what an adjective was, he is going into the 4th grade next year.

Posted February 03, 2011
This school year at Burton International has been challenging. When one considers that we have had a merging of three schools into one educational concept, the success of the venture is yet to be determined. There have been many strides towards balancing the educational levels of all of the students. There have been many successes. The academic incentive program currently in place is an excellent motivational tool. All of the staff and volunteers have been working hard to provide the excellent education for which this school in known. It is now time for some of the parents to put in as much effort towards their childrens education as has been demonstrated by the teachers.

Burton International School 0

Posted September 28, 2010
Our children are in their third year and every school has it's problems, and ours was our old school building. However, we changed buildings this year and the program of the school is one of the best programs in DPS, my honor roll students are always challenged at this school and the staff and principal cares. They have a multitude of extra curricular activities as well. I love the school.

Burton International School 3

Posted September 02, 2010
this school was good for my daguhter selena she was very popular and she learned how to deal with people. she loved every subject and she got better grades then she ever did

Burton International School 2

Posted August 21, 2010
i'm been in Burton since the first grade and it's really boring being at this school, therefore, I wouldn't recommend anybody coming to this school becaue of wild students and boring clases.

Posted June 22, 2010
This is an excellent school with a dedicated principle and staff. My son has attended since kindergarten. My only complaint is not properly assessing a teacher's ability to work with children with different learning styles and focus, and be placed with the appropriate grade level. Teaching is a challenging job, but teachers still need to realize that putting children down and speaking disrespectfully to them can break their spirit. Parents also cannot expect the teacher to raise their children. Involvement goes beyond a field trip. Also, bullying is an issue. Expecting a child to have to toughen up to deal with children that are known to have behavioral issues is not sending the right message to a non-violent child. Balancing the number of boys to girls in the classroom is also needed. Will try and stick with DPS.

Burton International School 5

Posted April 03, 2010

Posted March 24, 2010
My child has attended Burton since kindergarten and now she's in the first grade. The curriculum is excellent, but the attitudes of the staff are something to be desired. I have worked through the personalities, but trust me it was a difficult task. The principal was not proactive when I lodged a complaint, but again, I worked through the issue between my daughter's teacher and my strong desire to ensure my child succeeds. My child is excelling at the school and when I wanted to transfer to a different school, she did not want to go, so for her it s not all bad. Burton is now combining with Owens, they are not noted as a high achieving school, and I have great concerns. This may be our last term with Detroit Public Schools. It will be tough, but we may have to go private - education is important.

Contact Information

2001 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
Detroit, MI 48208

School website

Burton International School
2001 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Detroit, MI  48208
Last modified Burton International School is a public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Burton International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews.