Detroit, MI
Students enrolled: 2,260

Posted August 25, 2015
My daughter just graduated from Cass and is headed to Michigan State University! I found the teachers very caring and very concerned about her ability to succeed! My husband and I are trying to get our middle daughter to go there too! ELF - Parent

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 25, 2015
My daughter says the amount of homework was just right! I don't recall her staying up too late at night doing it.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted June 07, 2015
Teachers refuse to help students who are struggling - they refer them to other students for help. My daughter was referred for Saturday tutoring sessions - the only problem with that was, the sessions were directed at students in regular level classes, my daughter had honors classes.

Cass Technical High School 1

Posted June 07, 2015
I could write a book on how this place is hiding behind it's former glory. My brother graduated from here, so my mother thought it a good idea to enroll my daughter. Up until this school year my daughter had been an A and B student. They penalize students for being ill - my daughter was given F's for participation when she was out ill for over three weeks after an allergic reaction (we had medical documentation). She again had another reaction in late May - same situation. We were finally told about something called a 504 form too late to have it protect her this year. Teachers refuse to help her catch up. Her English teacher absolutely REFUSED to provide information about a project she missed, and after several calls and parent-teacher conference where she should have shared the information, she told my daughter that she placed it in an online forum. When my daughter stated that she missed it, because of her hospitalization, she asked if she had wi-fi access in the hospital. Requests for homework to be sent to the Academics Counselor by all of her teachers were ignored. Teachers take weeks to put grades into the system which gives parent's the impression that children are failing. Oh and if you arrive at 8:16 am, you are forced to sit in the school lobby and wait until second hour classes, which means then you have numerous unexcused absences on your school record, and you were sitting right downstairs on the floor in the lobby. I have had to report the ROTC program twice already. It was the ONE thing that my daughter liked about Cass. The final straw came at the 2015 graduation ceremony, so she quit the ROTC program the next day. She is now demanding to be leave the school. The students attending there are bullies, even the lunch room staff and the security staff are horrible. The security officer stationed at the door has put her hands on my daughter for no reason. My daughter has been stressed, losing her hair, having GI problems related to stress, and most of her teachers have done very little to help. She has given up. I have never seen her so discouraged about her education in all of my life. Cass is hiding behind a good name. The education that alumni rave about does not exist. Don't risk your child's educational future on this place. It's a joke. Send your child somewhere else. You will be sorry if you don't.

Posted June 05, 2013
I love my alma mater. I learned a great deal and became a better citizen as a result of my education there. Just like any other inner city school, Cass Tech has its challenges to deal with a struggling

Cass Technical High School 1

Posted May 16, 2013
Completely horrible. Definitely doesn't live up to the name it has. In fact, I have absolutely no idea how it can be ranked as a top school in DPS. It is about as worse as most of the other schools. If I had the choice to go back to my freshman year and pick a different school, Cass would certainly not be my choice.

Posted March 17, 2013
I graduated from Cass Tech in 1949. I was a Home Economics major. I also took pre-med classes such as chemistry & biology. It was an excellent school. I would recommend to any young person that has a goal in life for a particular career.

Cass Technical High School 2

Posted January 24, 2013
As an alumnus of Cass Tech, I am gravely disappointed in the fact that I recently went to the school's website (after bragging about the long-standing college prepatory focus of the school) to find an "ACADEMIC" model, or "ACADEMIC" offerings (courses), anything related to "ACADEMIC" tracks, etc. I wanted to show a colleague of mine (In the Educational arena) just what was SO SPECIAL about "MY" High School. The site for: Cass Tech (as of today January 24, 2013) is a JOKE! What about the academics, the curriculum tracks, concurrent enrollment (can you get college credit for courses taken at Cass), AP (Advanced Placement) offerings....criteria for getting in? I SUGGEST (DPS & CT Admin): Stop relying on HISTORY(THE PAST) to validate Cass. There's nothing special about Cass (anymore); at least you can't tell from the site. It's the same as Redford, Mumford (and THEY ARE GONE). ACADEMICS, ACADEMICS...Who cares about Sports - they're nice, they're needed, they serve a purpose, BUT - I would ONLY send my student to Cass, or recommend someone sending their child to Cass - IF I could SHOW & PROVE by way of their website-at least! FOCUS PEOPLE!!! CassTech, MBA, M.S., M.Ed. 1986

Cass Technical High School 2

Posted December 17, 2012
This schools administrative staff is very rude. I've called the school on a few occasions just to ask general questions. Each encounter has always been very rude, and I was rushed off of the phone as if my questions weren't of their concerns to receive an answer. Which ever administrative member I talked over me as I tried to ask questions and as I told her excuse me "there is no need to be rude as I am talking to u in a very calm and civilized way" she responded "ANYWAY have a nice holiday!" and hung up on me. Never did I raise my voice or say anything equally rude. I was just asking a general question. I was more than disappointed in the service that I received. I am a 25 year old sibling of a younger sister who attends this school. Is this how all of the staff conducts themselves I wonder? Very sad. My sister also does not have school books to take home for certain courses. And has told me that her counselor is very rude and unhelpful when she sees her for academic advice.

Posted December 03, 2012
Its beatiful on the inside and out in so many different ways it is very high TECH.Get it. lol but on a serious note impecible.

2501 2nd Avenue, Detroit, MI  48201
(313) 263-2000
Last modified Cass Technical High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cass Technical High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 132 reviews. Top