Detroit, MI

Posted April 29, 2014
Denby is located in the 48205 zip code, which the Detroit News deemed Michigan s Deadliest Zip Code. The majority of our students live in the 48205 and 48234 zip codes. Over the last 15 years this area has been one of the hardest hit in the country. Many of the students served by Denby come from an impoverished background. It has the highest number of abandoned structures, the highest parole and probation rate, a very high unemployment rate and is plagued by high illiteracy rates. These conditions normally result in high dropout rates. Denby has done a great job of supporting students and families with wrap around services to address the many issues facing the students. They do a great job of creating a family atmosphere to support students. Their college advisor does a great job of exposing students to post-secondary opportunities. They have also created many student led auxiliaries and clubs that students are engaged in. They, like all other Detroit area schools, are focusing on raising academics and attendance. Denby however, recognizes that you must also address the conditions that hinder academic success. These are some of the major reasons why Denby is a GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted September 21, 2013
Although Denby still faces some challenges as it is a neighborhood school, the community and culture of the school has changed dramatically for the better. Hallways are clear by the bells and students are in class learning. Teachers seem more connected to the school an surrounding community and have made efforts to get the kids involved in programs that expose them to all of the innovative things happening in Detroit. Denby students are required to do community service and each freshman is required to participate in an elective club. Keep the trend Tars!

Posted October 09, 2012
Denby has improved a lot since moving from DPS to EAA. With the renovation, new staff and administration, Denby is on the move to be a great school again!

Posted September 25, 2012
I went there in the late 80's and it was HORRIBLE then I can only imagine the decay of the school and loss of young minds stuck in this Educational vacuum!

Denby High School 3

Posted April 02, 2011
Great school . Had kin fokes going there when if first opened up .I went there in the 40's and earned a D letter in track It was the best school on the east side then, and is still the best school on the east side now Like the school song goes " "Denby we are always loyal we are always true etc."

Posted March 05, 2007
I have a ninth grade daughter attending Denby High School, and I must say that I'm disappointed in the DPS system as a whole. The school contains over 2300 students which is the highest student enrollment for all high schools in Detroit, and it shows. The halls are constantly littered with students, the staff is ill equipped to handle these children, and the security guards are no better.

Posted November 02, 2005
This school is terrible the adminstrators and teachers have no control over the students. I removed my child from this school and have no regrets whats so ever.

Denby High School 5

Posted October 02, 2004
I was a former student and now have a 11th grader there at Denby and wow it has really changed since I attended. The new principal is taking more control over the school, the academic program is much better, and the teachers/parents are more involoved. They have provided a safer environment for the students. I must say I absoultely love Denby. It is truly a great school.

Denby High School 5

Posted September 30, 2004
I have a child that goes to Denby but I must say it has come a long way. The teachers are great and the principal is involved.

Posted September 14, 2004
I am a student at Denby High school and I haft to say that we are very discipline school. Most people say that we are a bad school but we are not. The news always tell about the 10% that mess the school up but never tell about the 99% who are doing very well. Last but not least Denby High is a very well educated school to go to, and our principal Mrs. Fisher and the teachers are very supportive and are always willing to help.

Denby High School
12800 Kelly Road, Detroit, MI  48224
Last modified Denby High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Denby High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top