Southwestern High School 3

Posted May 22, 2010
"S.O." as it was affectionately known in the past was a decent school. Not tops in academic programming, but I always felt safe. There had been a mix of teachers and counselors that cared, some that did not as in ANY school, but the programs did not prepare me for college entry exams. I did however have a foundation on which to build upon, and eventually graduated from the University of Michigan. I advise parents to supplement the education received here by enrolling your child in ACT & SAT PREP classes and make yourself visible at the school. Just seeing a parent active and involved at the high school level will get the attention of the administration and staff. Best Wishes!

Posted August 04, 2009
Class of '09. To be persuasive enough as it is, never judge that school by rumors, the neighborhood, or by the way it looks. The Staff, Teachers, and most importantly, the counselors are far by the best people i have ever encountered in my life. I've always wanted to go to a Melvindale school, but I just couldn't leave to once I called home. The Athelitcs there are awesome, all the coaches would make you feel crap at first but made sure you got those medals. I will never forget about the Teachers who took time to talk to me about Life and Education life without thinking it's a waste of time. This is Danny Jimenez and I highly recommend and DPS student to attend SW, to be a prospector and dig deeper into their minds to find that golden knowledge.

Posted July 23, 2009
Southwestern High School is a wonderful choice to send your child for high school. The academics at the school are outstanding! My daughter wanted to attend this school and I have always been against DPS but this school changed my outlook on the matter. I love Southwestern High School and would recommend this school to anyone!

Posted May 21, 2009
I feel honored to be a student at such a school where students are recieving national attention for their hard working academics and accolades. Seniors are attending colleges such as Clark Atlanta, Prarie View, Universary of Detroit Mercy, Wayne State, Florida A&M (FAMU), Universary of Michigan, Northwood, Ferris State and many other top ranking colleges along with joining the Navy, Navy Seals and Air Force.

Posted March 05, 2008
'Class of 2009' The way i look at my school is that it may not be the best school in the city of detroit, but we sure do have security and really great teachers to help us, am currently a junior at southwestern and i cant complain about it because every year since i started in freshmen year its getting more better and exciting, and now we even have a cumputer lab, football field, track, and much more. At first when i started in my freshmen year i though it was going to be a bad school, and yes i did think i was going to move to a different school but certain things happen that made me think it was a great school, not by the outside appearence, but just by the help I got from my counselor, I received alot of support from her and the teachers.

Southwestern High School 4

Posted September 21, 2007
Southwestern high school may not have been one of the best looking schools that I have seen but they made sure that I was ready for any chalenges that I may face after I had left there. After reading some of the reviews that people had left I fealt that they really didn't kno the people that work up there. They r over worked an yes they are very busy, but if the child or parent really needed to talk to someone or help with something it was there for them. The teachers an staff do offer extra help beyond the class time but it is up to the student to take the time to go to the teacher an ask for it. They do what they can but if the child is unwilling to do the work or go an ask for the help how can they expect to succed.

Southwestern High School 4

- a former student

Southwestern High School
6921 West Fort St, Detroit, MI  48209
Last modified Southwestern High School is a Public school
Southwestern High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews.