Posted April 17, 2014
My son has Mrs. Arneau for PreK/Kindergarten and she is Amazing! He is learning a lot and speaking more!

Posted April 02, 2014
Students here receive attention from great teachers who have a lot of experience. It's a little large, and its been around for a while but kids thrive here.

Posted March 20, 2014
Both my older brother & I attended this school. I began in 1947 8 years after my brother. We both loved the school as well as the teachers at the time. Those were the days when high dump trucks used to drop off ton's of apples for all of us to take home. We were also given huge long squares of American cheese, larger then my arm, also free. Those were the days when the Duncun yoyo people used to come to school to demonstrate, the candy apple man, the ice cream man. We played marbles in the yard etc. It was a very nice school & I am happy to see it still is..

Posted August 05, 2011
I am so sorry to say that my my daughter only attended Thirkell for only one year(5th grade)...she attended a charter school prior to this. There is no comparison between the two. I have found the Thirkell staff to be older and more experienced. The teachers have a love for teaching and the children. I have not found that to be the case in charter schools with their young inexperienced staff. . Great academics and extra curricular activities. This school really feels like the good old fashioned neighborhood school I grew up attending. I wish I had discovered this gem years ago. Dr. Smith is doing great things. I wish DPS would invest in a new building for this school.

Posted October 20, 2009
Thrikell is a great school that care about their students.The staff are friendly and helpful to students and parents.

Posted April 11, 2008
Thirkell is constantly improving and will become a gem for DPS under the guidance of Dr Clara Smith. I am a University of Michigan School of Education student and hope to one day have Thirkell students in my mathematics courses because they will be well prepared.

Posted November 12, 2007
Thirkell is a very good school for children to learn. The principal and staff are great!

Posted July 17, 2007
I am very proud to say that my daughter has attended Thirkell Elementary since Pre-K and has graduated from the 5th grade this year. My daughter has had excellent Teachers at Thirkell, who are very committed to the students learning and academic growth. Thirkell has an excellent Computer Lab and Computer Science Teacher who has well prepared the students to function with the required computer skills that will be necessary in their educational endeavors. Thirkell has afforded their students with academic supplemental experiences such as Project Seed, Science and Engineering projects for the students through G.M. Dr. Smith, the Principle, is one of the best that you will find. She works hard to make sure that Thirkell Students receive the best academic experiences and programs along with establishing community partners. I believe that my daughter experienced a proficient educational foundation while at Thirkell and will excel in future academics.

Thirkell Elementary School 1

Posted July 18, 2004

Thirkell Elementary School
7724 14th Street, Detroit, MI  48206
Last modified Thirkell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Thirkell Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews.