Bad
Good

Posted October 22, 2015
My daughter is currently a senior at the school. The curriculum is rigorous and the teachers have high expectations of the students. I believe that my daughter is getting a good education there. I'm disappointed that the school's rating has fallen. I believe this is a result of the schools finances and being under emergency management. This school (as is true of all DPS schools) do not have the resources of other schools. For example, during one state assessment test, the computers wouldn't work properly. These students had less time to take the test but were measured against students in other districts who didn't have this issue. I've had to purchase text books. I've also had a problem speaking directly with teachers. Overall, its a good school that provides a solid education for our brightest students despite its shortcomings.

Posted August 20, 2014
My son is a senior at Renaissance High School and I am thankful that he is attending the school. The school has delivered and has improved yearly as evidenced by their data. It is so disappointing that the school and district has decided to increase their class size and cut teacher pay. I have never entertained the thought of leaving the district but today the thoughts have become a reality. The thought of 40+ students per class is ridiculous. I thank all of the teachers at Renaissance that have been so diligent and focused. Thank you for your service and your dedication. Our choice to leave the district is not a reflection of your teaching or leadership, but enough is enough.

Posted March 25, 2014
My son is a senior this year at Renaissance high school and he's doing great. We had nothing but a good experience throughout this four year journey.

Renaissance High School 3

Posted January 12, 2014
security guards need to do a little more walking to combat the theft at physical education classes, that isn't reported, when kids go on the track to run,someone or a couple going thru their backpacks and taking their personal belonging.The principal said they would send t a memo months ago to parents but somehow it got lost. I guess.the young thieves are still doing they things stealing from others.

Posted December 15, 2013
I am a freshman and I'm very impressed so far. For me that's saying a lot because I attended Grosse Pointe Public Schools and Detroit charter schools all my life so I have high expectations. As I expected, the books are used and outdated but my teachers use the internet as a resource well enough too fill up the missing gaps. The sports programs are a little "iffy" but I guess academics are more important. Lastly, they need to severely improvement in all of the other subjects because of the difference in skill clearly shown in our MME test scores. Overall a good school, yet still lots needs to be done (especially motivation from the teachers to not dropout).

Renaissance High School 3

Posted October 24, 2013
I graduated from Renaissance back in 2012 and believe my experience was average. The school, like any other school, had issue but one of the biggest benefits I got was from the writing curriculum. As a college student, I have ran into students who have honestly never had to write a paper in their life but being a Renaissance grad, this was one skill they made sure we excelled in. I do, however, believe the school needs more AP course in other areas and more advanced math classes (highest is currently Calculus) to make students more qualified in other areas. I do believe administration also needs to better its relations with students because there is a lot of tension from both groups.

Posted August 26, 2013
Renaissance is the best Public High School in Detroit. I would not have sent my son anywhere else. It prepares the kids for college. Many students go on to great colleges and do well! My son graduated June 2013. Some kids can't handle the work load and just can't excel there (my little brother couldn't) and its unfortunate. This school was a 10/10 when I enrolled him here in 2009. It needs to stay a 10/10. No other public school in Detroit is better.

Posted July 16, 2013
I was told the Renaissance was the best high school in Detroit, MI. As a kid that started high school strong, with a 3.7 grade point average on average for all four report-cards, I recieved im looking to joining a better high school than I previously went too. I hope this school is like what it was told to me !

Posted July 02, 2013
In response to the parent's post in May, there was no air conditioning at all when I attended Renaissance (I graduated in 1985) and I am no worse for the wear. You do not have to be in an air conditioned room to receive an education.

Posted May 24, 2013
Renaissance is a great school. But, it still has it's problems like most schools do. I don't like when the air is not working, they keep the children in school when it's hot. Of course the office has air. Also when the power goes out, the students are still in school when they should be let out and sent home. I also don't like the fact that some teachers round up and others don' when it comes to grading system. To me that shows favoritism. This school is already a high magnitude school when it comes to the curriculum, so if a student has a 89.7%, give me a break and round it up. Renaissance can become the school it once was if everyone (faculty, parents and students) work together. Stop letting anybody in the school when appeal time comes. If the student couldn't pass a test to get in, well maybe they need npt be there. I'm not saying all of them, but the majority.

Renaissance High School
6565 Outer Drive, Detroit, MI  48235
Last modified Renaissance High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Renaissance High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 96 reviews. Top