Detroit, MI

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 01, 2015
It was too much when my child was in Kindergarten but I now see the value of it all. Especially compared to my other child in another school who hardly brings home any work. A parent has to make time and commit to ensuring that the children do their work.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
The value and quality of instruction and homework ...to manage that alone- a student needs to develop these values otherwise one cannot be lazy and make it at Bates. It has done this to me as a parent too.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
Bates involves students in community activities that help develop positive values in children. I am glad to have my children at Bates. Parent volunteer opportunities also help students learn the value of 'doing for others' and giving their time to make a difference.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted July 01, 2015
My two children have attended Bates and we love it. The teachers are top notch....the curriculum prepares kids to be the best that they can be. I had my one child in a different nearby school this past year and I can assure you that he is nowhere near where my other child was academically at the same level (kindergarten) at Bates. We also love the other experiences at Bates- parent involvement, field trips and much more that add to the student overall experiences. My other child (at the other school) went on two local field trips (the whole academic year....). We LOVE Bates.

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted June 09, 2015
the teacher is not a very personable person at all she doesn't talk to the parents. She's the worst teacher my son ever had.

Bates Academy 3

Posted June 09, 2015
My son's teacher was the worst that he ever had. She's one of the 1st grade teachers. She gives them the work and will not help them if they need it.

Posted May 26, 2014
The curriculum is wonderful which is what we attend school for. My expectations for my kindergartener have been surpassed tremendously, and as long as I continue to see the growth in my child he will remain a student at Bates Academy through 8 th grade.
4 people found this helpful

Posted April 28, 2014
Teachers and staff are top notch and then parental involvement is the best in the city. The teacher commitment to the youths should be reconized state wide.
2 people found this helpful

Bates Academy 4

Posted December 18, 2013
Bates is a excellent preparatory school. The accelerated curriculum is challenging and rigorous but we have found that if students and parents are 100% committed, it is doable and your child can successful. We make it our business to be an integral part in the learning process; letting the ,teachers know that we are there to support them.

19701 Wyoming Avenue, Detroit, MI  48221
Last modified Bates Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bates Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 114 reviews. Top