Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=19701+wyoming+st,detroit,mi+48221&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=4mattyt7denuq5ymvkjt3yh2ixy=

Bates Academy

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Bates Academy 5388454 4

Posted December 18, 2013
Bates is a excellent preparatory school. The accelerated curriculum is challenging and rigorous but we have found that if students and parents are 100% committed, it is doable and your child can successful. We make it our business to be an integral part in the learning process; letting the ,teachers know that we are there to support them.

Bates Academy 4799954 3

Posted November 12, 2013
2013-14 School Year for Bates is off to a much better start. Jury is still out, though.

Bates Academy 5338626 5

Posted October 25, 2013
Bates is an awesome school. It has an accelaerated program and the kids excel within their program and beyond in life. It is one of the gems in the educational arena in Detroit.

Bates Academy 5169433 5

Posted June 19, 2013
Bates Academy is an excellent school that has gotten better recently. We are recognized as a Reward School by the state, and have been listed as one of the top 20 schools in the city. Our teachers and administrators really care about the students. We have a very active parent group that works well with the administration. We have had our library made over by Target, a new gymnasium floor, upgraded technology (interactive boards in every classroom), and a new computer lab all this year. Our principal, Mr. Kirkland, has led all of these efforts over the past two years. I believe that great things are ahead for us. I am proud to be a student of three Bates students!

Bates Academy 4469511 1

Posted March 07, 2012
im a former bates parent. the bates staff dont care and i dont want to send my child to an enviornment where they dont care about the students. my child is in their care until i can come pick my child up from school. i took my (3) kids out of bates and had them attend burton international academy. i'm proud to say thay that was the best desision that i made for my kids. there happy and love it there. they are all on the honor role and i couldnt be more happier. thank you Burton Staff esp. Dr. Wilson

Bates Academy 3689900 5

Posted March 07, 2012
I LOVE Bates Academy. I switched my two students from Detroit Merit Academy (eastside charter school) to Bates Academy (DPS) this past Fall 2011 and I am so very pleased with the difference. My first grader is learning rapidly, because the bar is very high. Her reading level jumped significantly. My 6th grader is no longer the top of his class, which is a great thing, because he's being challenged significantly. He has some classes with 7th and 8th graders who raise the bar by questioning his responses in class. The expectation is very high. The principal Mr. Kirkland is very busy, but extremely attentive and personable. Excellent extracurricular program, excellent music program, Bates raises a very high bar compared to the Charter school my children attended. And the teaching staff better reflects the student population. There is a good mix of races within the teaching an admin staff, which I cannot say for the other school which had a predominately caucasian staff with about 3 teachers of African American descent. I am very pleased with Bates and I have done a lot of research. Still the BEST.

Bates Academy 4749198 3

Posted February 28, 2012
I am a current (and soon to be former) Bates parent. If Bates is supposed to be the best that DPS has to offer, then its best is not good enough for my children. The building is old and dilapidated and the administration is horrid and the office staff has not one ounce of professionalism. Any and all complaints fall on deaf ears--from the building level to the district level. I have sacrificed the education of my child for too long by sticking with Bates/DPS, but give the steady decrease/decline in test scores, I refuse to do it anymore! This school needs a complete overhaul--especially the administrative staff. There are some great teachers, but they need the support of their administration in order to truly enact change and impact the lives of their students.

Bates Academy 4172990 4

Posted August 25, 2011
My son just finished his kindergarten year at Bates and is about to begin 1st grade there. He is doing good there. This year I want him to get involved in bible club and sports. I however am concerned that his Spanish class did not go too far beyond the Spanish he learns on Dora and Diego and that the children don't have gym or recess everyday and that they rarely painted in his art class. Also the school asks for so many school supplies and the supplies are specific. I'm on a budget! But, my biggest concern is the school has went through 3 principles in 3 years! I believe a principle can help to make or break a school and the fact that Bates can not seem to find the right person for the job concerns me. This year I want to be more involved at school so maybe I can help address some of the issues that concern me.

Bates Academy 4605019 5

Posted August 01, 2011
My son has attended Bates since the Kind...had the Wonderful Mrs. Mihalski! She is tough and cares. She told me my child might not make it his first week, but I told her I will help my child....I did and he was one of her top students and in has been reading 3 grades above his level since he had her. Bates is not for parents who think the teacher should do it all. I helped my child all day with his work to help at home so he can achieve. Parents do us a favor and if you don't discipline and help your child...take them out due they interrupt the children who are being molded for excellence.

Bates Academy 3513430 1

Posted July 30, 2011
I went to Bates since 7th grade I graduated class of 2011 I hate this school so much and I never want to tell anyone about it. The school isnt really isnt all that like how people brag. Though the students are kinda smart the teachers arent doing their job. The science teacher Ms.Finley makes mad because I felt like she gave out grades based on her realtionship with the student on a friendly basis. I did all of my work all the time and I still got a B in her class but people who have been there for 8 years got A's and they dont do anything but talk. Bates need to step their game up if they claim to be the best. The staff is really un professinal no activities just a horribe school.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Bates Academy
19701 Wyoming St, Detroit, MI  48221
Bates Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 100 reviews.