Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (3 responses)

Bates academy One teacher threatened her with a yardstick & told her she was going to get her suspended the secretary is always unprofessional rude do not have customer service skills and I'm just tired my baby was bullied last year and this year not to mention they put them in the same classroom when I mentioned it to the principal the principal said she was being proactive however it wasn't until after I said something that they removed the little girl from classroom. As a working yet active parent I want my kid to fell safe and secure. The fact that anyone can walk in the school without a guard asking who they are is another major concern.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

There are a few great teachers at Bates I had the pleasure of working with Ms. Dotson who was awesome and stern, she was diligent in everything that she did with her students. Most of all she was fair.

Amount of homework: no rating

Its nothing given to them over most break including summer to enhance/sharpen there skills for the following school year.

Develops character: Neutral

If you do not have professional, honest staff that understand and uphold integrity then how can you put that put that in your students.

Amount of homework: Agree

Theres a lot of HW but a good parent has no problem seeing that its done and I reward my kids, they love Bates

Develops character: Strongly agree

A lot of the kids are well behaved, Bates is big on bullying which is great.I see all my kids doing fine at Bates.

Bates is a great school for education I feel my kids will definitely benefit,if we moved out of the city I would still want my kids to attend it could be better in a lot of ways some teachers are excellent some are just blatantly rude, staff could be A LOT BETTER,but as long as my kids are treated fairly I have no problem with that every school has its flaws.Overall its a great school but a lot of staff need to be replaced so people visiting will be thrilled about the school and not thinking its your typical Detroit school, 4 stars

Amount of homework: Agree

It was too much when my child was in Kindergarten but I now see the value of it all. Especially compared to my other child in another school who hardly brings home any work. A parent has to make time and commit to ensuring that the children do their work.

Develops character: Strongly agree

My two children have attended Bates and we love it. The teachers are top notch....the curriculum prepares kids to be the best that they can be. I had my one child in a different nearby school this past year and I can assure you that he is nowhere near where my other child was academically at the same level (kindergarten) at Bates. We also love the other experiences at Bates- parent involvement, field trips and much more that add to the student overall experiences. My other child (at the other school) went on two local field trips (the whole academic year....). We LOVE Bates.

Last modified Bates Academy is a Public school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.