Posted May 26, 2014
The curriculum is wonderful which is what we attend school for. My expectations for my kindergartener have been surpassed tremendously, and as long as I continue to see the growth in my child he will remain a student at Bates Academy through 8 th grade.

Posted April 28, 2014
Teachers and staff are top notch and then parental involvement is the best in the city. The teacher commitment to the youths should be reconized state wide.

Bates Academy 4

Posted December 18, 2013
Bates is a excellent preparatory school. The accelerated curriculum is challenging and rigorous but we have found that if students and parents are 100% committed, it is doable and your child can successful. We make it our business to be an integral part in the learning process; letting the ,teachers know that we are there to support them.

Bates Academy 3

Posted November 12, 2013
2013-14 School Year for Bates is off to a much better start. Jury is still out, though.

Posted October 25, 2013
Bates is an awesome school. It has an accelaerated program and the kids excel within their program and beyond in life. It is one of the gems in the educational arena in Detroit.

Posted June 19, 2013
Bates Academy is an excellent school that has gotten better recently. We are recognized as a Reward School by the state, and have been listed as one of the top 20 schools in the city. Our teachers and administrators really care about the students. We have a very active parent group that works well with the administration. We have had our library made over by Target, a new gymnasium floor, upgraded technology (interactive boards in every classroom), and a new computer lab all this year. Our principal, Mr. Kirkland, has led all of these efforts over the past two years. I believe that great things are ahead for us. I am proud to be a student of three Bates students!

Bates Academy 1

Posted March 07, 2012
im a former bates parent. the bates staff dont care and i dont want to send my child to an enviornment where they dont care about the students. my child is in their care until i can come pick my child up from school. i took my (3) kids out of bates and had them attend burton international academy. i'm proud to say thay that was the best desision that i made for my kids. there happy and love it there. they are all on the honor role and i couldnt be more happier. thank you Burton Staff esp. Dr. Wilson

Posted March 07, 2012
I LOVE Bates Academy. I switched my two students from Detroit Merit Academy (eastside charter school) to Bates Academy (DPS) this past Fall 2011 and I am so very pleased with the difference. My first grader is learning rapidly, because the bar is very high. Her reading level jumped significantly. My 6th grader is no longer the top of his class, which is a great thing, because he's being challenged significantly. He has some classes with 7th and 8th graders who raise the bar by questioning his responses in class. The expectation is very high. The principal Mr. Kirkland is very busy, but extremely attentive and personable. Excellent extracurricular program, excellent music program, Bates raises a very high bar compared to the Charter school my children attended. And the teaching staff better reflects the student population. There is a good mix of races within the teaching an admin staff, which I cannot say for the other school which had a predominately caucasian staff with about 3 teachers of African American descent. I am very pleased with Bates and I have done a lot of research. Still the BEST.

Bates Academy 3

Posted February 28, 2012
I am a current (and soon to be former) Bates parent. If Bates is supposed to be the best that DPS has to offer, then its best is not good enough for my children. The building is old and dilapidated and the administration is horrid and the office staff has not one ounce of professionalism. Any and all complaints fall on deaf ears--from the building level to the district level. I have sacrificed the education of my child for too long by sticking with Bates/DPS, but give the steady decrease/decline in test scores, I refuse to do it anymore! This school needs a complete overhaul--especially the administrative staff. There are some great teachers, but they need the support of their administration in order to truly enact change and impact the lives of their students.

Bates Academy 4

Posted August 25, 2011
My son just finished his kindergarten year at Bates and is about to begin 1st grade there. He is doing good there. This year I want him to get involved in bible club and sports. I however am concerned that his Spanish class did not go too far beyond the Spanish he learns on Dora and Diego and that the children don't have gym or recess everyday and that they rarely painted in his art class. Also the school asks for so many school supplies and the supplies are specific. I'm on a budget! But, my biggest concern is the school has went through 3 principles in 3 years! I believe a principle can help to make or break a school and the fact that Bates can not seem to find the right person for the job concerns me. This year I want to be more involved at school so maybe I can help address some of the issues that concern me.

Contact Information

19701 Wyoming St
Detroit, MI 48221

School website

Bates Academy
19701 Wyoming St, Detroit, MI  48221
Last modified Bates Academy is a public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bates Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 102 reviews.