Public charter
Detroit, MI

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 3

Posted December 27, 2014
My children have been with MLKECA Since the 1st grade. That school is like family my children have learned so much they have helped one my of my children move. On to attend casstech high school one of the best teacher was. Ms Frederick she really help my children learn she demand respect in her. Class that meant no talking respect your classmates and yourself. The price family is great with the parents and children. The school is a great school with great teachers like Ms. Frederick, Ms. Butts and a host of others teachers. My kids all say Ms. Frederick may have been hard on you. Sometimes when you did not pay attention in class by. Calling on you to answer a question or giving you extra work only because she care. My son is in high school and he tell his sister and brother to. Listen to what Ms. Frederick is teaching you because high school it get very real. And you will have a lot of teachers harder than Ms. Frederick she is a great teacher she really really cares about your education.

Posted December 27, 2014
My children attend MLKECA the school helped one of my children. Attend Cass Tech High school all of my children have been. With MLKECA since 1st grade Ms Frederick is a great teacher. Who care about her students she have. Always demand that each of her students do the best that they can. My children know Ms Frederick will push you to do your best. She always ask you to respect her classroom and your classmates. And just learn the lesson for the day if . Your talking yes she will call your name to answer questions or Ms Frederick will give you extra work to home. But Ms. Frederick is a great teacher.

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 3

Posted February 03, 2014
Im a student at mlkeca im in 6th grade.mlkeca is a great school.In fall we use books from the last year to get us ready for the meap test because its on every thing you learned in your old class.The one biggest problem is Ms.Fredrick.She is evil.She yells at you for the little things like moving.She is very rude,if you raise your hand to ask a question she answers WHAT !!!! I wish she would get fired.Every new school year students hope she got fired.I wish we had a nicer scince teacher.

Posted November 26, 2013
Academically a school may appear wonderful, but internally not at all. Our experience with MLK has been a nightmare, from spouse's being allowed to attend meetings held to discuss parents concerns, to spaking of students. If safety and concern is an issue - I wouldn't recommend MLK to anyone

Posted September 30, 2013
The school is great over all, they just need to have more P/E for the students.

Posted June 25, 2013
I have three children who attend this school; I am very impressed by the curriculum and programs. The only thing they could improve on would be recess for all ages; children need play time, that s what helps them stay focused and not so antsy while in class. I would recommend my closest friend to enroll their children in this school.

Posted April 26, 2013
I'm a student there and i HATE this school i cant wait to go to high school

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 5

Posted January 29, 2013
Overall, this is an excellent school. The teachers are passionate, dedicated, and are very involved. I originally had my son in a Montessori School, which I paid $7k annually for, but I was unsatisfied with the outcome. I switched him to MLKECA in kindergarten and the improvement was substantial. There are a few seedy elements that I've noticed throughout my son's time thus far (parents w/scarves on their head, parents w/pajamas on, and graduation is more like the Maury Show), but these elements have nothing to do with the quality of education, but are mere footnotes in the overall grand scheme of the school.

Posted November 22, 2012
The parent who claims that the school does not challenge the students is uninformed. This is a new parent who is obviously clueless about the way the school operates. in October the students prepare for the MEAP test. The test which is administered in October is based on the previous grade's work. Therefore from september until the test starts the students use workbooks that are state certified for the purpose of review. Once the MEAP test is completed, the students move on to grade level work. Although the students might take home work from the previous year (the reason for the workbooks a year behind) it does not account for the fact that the grade level books are in the classroom at the beginning of the year. If the parent does not understand the process of education, she should ask to have things explained rather than jump to incorrect conclusions. Such parents shuffle their children from school to school and this can inhibit the children's abilities in performance and forming secured foundations for learning. This school is exceptional.

Posted October 25, 2012
MLKJECA. Students are not being challenged with their abilities. 6th graders are working out of 5th grade books,7th grade is using 6th grade books. sad.... a mind is a terrible thing to waste,

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy
16827 Appoline Street, Detroit, MI  48235
Last modified Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top