Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 3

Posted February 03, 2014
Im a student at mlkeca im in 6th grade.mlkeca is a great school.In fall we use books from the last year to get us ready for the meap test because its on every thing you learned in your old class.The one biggest problem is Ms.Fredrick.She is evil.She yells at you for the little things like moving.She is very rude,if you raise your hand to ask a question she answers WHAT !!!! I wish she would get fired.Every new school year students hope she got fired.I wish we had a nicer scince teacher.

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 1

Posted November 26, 2013
Academically a school may appear wonderful, but internally not at all. Our experience with MLK has been a nightmare, from spouse's being allowed to attend meetings held to discuss parents concerns, to spaking of students. If safety and concern is an issue - I wouldn't recommend MLK to anyone

Posted September 30, 2013
The school is great over all, they just need to have more P/E for the students.

Posted June 25, 2013
I have three children who attend this school; I am very impressed by the curriculum and programs. The only thing they could improve on would be recess for all ages; children need play time, that s what helps them stay focused and not so antsy while in class. I would recommend my closest friend to enroll their children in this school.

Posted January 29, 2013
Overall, this is an excellent school. The teachers are passionate, dedicated, and are very involved. I originally had my son in a Montessori School, which I paid $7k annually for, but I was unsatisfied with the outcome. I switched him to MLKECA in kindergarten and the improvement was substantial. There are a few seedy elements that I've noticed throughout my son's time thus far (parents w/scarves on their head, parents w/pajamas on, and graduation is more like the Maury Show), but these elements have nothing to do with the quality of education, but are mere footnotes in the overall grand scheme of the school.

Posted November 22, 2012
The parent who claims that the school does not challenge the students is uninformed. This is a new parent who is obviously clueless about the way the school operates. in October the students prepare for the MEAP test. The test which is administered in October is based on the previous grade's work. Therefore from september until the test starts the students use workbooks that are state certified for the purpose of review. Once the MEAP test is completed, the students move on to grade level work. Although the students might take home work from the previous year (the reason for the workbooks a year behind) it does not account for the fact that the grade level books are in the classroom at the beginning of the year. If the parent does not understand the process of education, she should ask to have things explained rather than jump to incorrect conclusions. Such parents shuffle their children from school to school and this can inhibit the children's abilities in performance and forming secured foundations for learning. This school is exceptional.

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy 1

Posted October 25, 2012
MLKJECA. Students are not being challenged with their abilities. 6th graders are working out of 5th grade books,7th grade is using 6th grade books. sad.... a mind is a terrible thing to waste,

Posted March 16, 2012
My son is in the kindergarten and my niece is in the pre-school program. They are in different buildings but the love is spread from pre-school to eighth grade. The teachers have a great relationship with the parents and caregivers as well as the administration is involved with all the students. You see the connection, cohesiveness and coordination of all parties from the classroom to the special events/programs and even with the field trips. I am always greeted at the front door upon entrance and exit with smiles and respect. The teachers challenge the students and parents to maintain involvement. This is a successful school for multiple reasons and will remain one because of its faith based background.

Posted August 24, 2009

Posted January 27, 2009
Our son went to this school for kindergarden in 2005 and it was an excellent experience. Mrs. Lee did an excellent job with our son and the rest of the kids as the kids built a strong bond with each other. The principal and vice principle were very competent and nice and they really cared for kids. I was even impressed with the secretary Mrs. Ely who always treated everyone with respect and was always very professional. Academically, MLK is great, the teachers challenge the kids while letting them have fun at the same time. We are now strongly considering putting our son back in MLK.

Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy
16827 Appoline St, Detroit, MI  48235
Last modified Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Luther King Jr. Education Center Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.