Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=7616+east+nevada+st,detroit,mi+48234&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=txsszyccaleimxjfsfw8ycrfwvs=

Winans Academy High School

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Winans Academy High School 5166257 3

Posted June 15, 2013
I go to winans acdemy middle school am going in to eigth grade this school ha sits ups and downs the only reason am going here is for the performing arts. the dean is bad all he cares about is trying to teach us how to be shoulders. and this school hasn't once mentioned about college. I suggest the only reason you should bring any child her is for the performing arts. ive been her since kindergarten. so I know what this school is about. also the rules are to strict we cant assessorize for the girls without them saying take it off. even for birthdays. this school needs to close down. and fix their act.

Winans Academy High School 5115625 5

Posted April 25, 2013
I love winans Academy and i think it is a great School. One on the reasons why i like this school is because the dean enforces us to act disciplined. I think that if you are Looking for a safe Non-Judgemental Community Then you need to come to winans. I am not saying that it is perfect because no school is but it is one of the best ive seen. Taking this knowledge why dont you join our WAPA Family.

Winans Academy High School 5114369 3

Posted April 24, 2013
ive been at winans for three years and this is my final year. Dont get me wrong the preforming arts are great and the academics are good however the focus and thrive is not there. The middle school dean is to worried about his "drills" and how quiet students get when he walks in the room than the real problems. They act like people are supposed to fear them in some way. Good school but im needing something more.

Winans Academy High School 5060547 1

Posted March 01, 2013
This is a terrible school. The administration as a whole is a joke. There are a few individuals that care about the teachers but the others could care less. The administration has no indication how their actions affect the teachers and their daily teaching routine. The principal and vice principal have no professional conduct and at times they mandate the teachers for pointless meetings and functions, yet they don't show up themselves. All in all, this school fails at giving resources to its teachers and thus is failing at preparing its students for college and it's no surprise it will close within a year.

Winans Academy High School 4959993 3

Posted October 26, 2012
I respect the culture and teachers that work in this school. My problem is with the unorganization in both the elementary and middle school office. For example, a lot of important notes go home at the last minute (one day before). Also they do not extend themselves at many opportunities when they should, for example on the first day of school there is no one in the office early to handle first day issues or concerns. Just today I had a concern because I sent a check to the school for cancer donation. The check was made out to the Cancer Foundation I do not understand why it could not be forwarded with the other donations from the school. I was contacted at my job like I created a real problem for them. I suppose I should not have attempted to dress my son in (pink) or try to donate to the Cancer Foundation which I had already donated earlier with the month.

Winans Academy High School 4117707 3

Posted May 11, 2012
Winans Academy does not get your child for college. They concentrate on Performing Arts more than academics.

Winans Academy High School 4135461 0

Posted April 17, 2010
That last comment is not true. I am in advance dance also and I am not in club but I have performed. Usually a person in advance dance who does not perform are probably not really an advance dancer. They got in the class cuz of scheduling or they beg to get in advance bcuz if you r really good enough to b n advance u r n dance club. The dance & vocal r the best n the school

Winans Academy High School 3677527 0

Posted June 12, 2009
The elementary school is a train wreck waiting to happen. The principal and assistant principal don't know how to run a school. Please don't send your kids to this school! I made the mistake and have taken them out after 1 year.

Winans Academy High School 3676000 0

Posted June 11, 2009
Horrible School! The elementary school is going down the drain. The administration is out of control and they are ruining the vision!

Winans Academy High School 3536322 0

Posted March 23, 2009
I am a current student and sometimes the school can be unorganized, i am also in advance dance and in that class you cant preform unless your in dance club and also there is not a veriety in the dances, this school just doesnt give you an opertunity to give your all...

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Winans Academy High School
7616 East Nevada St, Detroit, MI  48234
Winans Academy High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.