Posted June 26, 2014
so i am going to be a 9th grader this year. so the school is not all great but not all that bad. the school is getting broke really. the preforming arts program is really cool i am into art so i love that class. sometimes i learn things sometimes i dont in regular classes but everyone does that but the one thing that i hate is that the school only has black american there really. they really need to mix it up i am not talking about mixed people. but like add some white some Mexican Indian add more races there the lunch stinks the dean is controlling but fair wonderful teachers but bad office people all i have to say have a nice day

Posted June 15, 2013
I go to winans acdemy middle school am going in to eigth grade this school ha sits ups and downs the only reason am going here is for the performing arts. the dean is bad all he cares about is trying to teach us how to be shoulders. and this school hasn't once mentioned about college. I suggest the only reason you should bring any child her is for the performing arts. ive been her since kindergarten. so I know what this school is about. also the rules are to strict we cant assessorize for the girls without them saying take it off. even for birthdays. this school needs to close down. and fix their act.

Winans Academy High School 5

Posted April 25, 2013
I love winans Academy and i think it is a great School. One on the reasons why i like this school is because the dean enforces us to act disciplined. I think that if you are Looking for a safe Non-Judgemental Community Then you need to come to winans. I am not saying that it is perfect because no school is but it is one of the best ive seen. Taking this knowledge why dont you join our WAPA Family.

Posted April 24, 2013
ive been at winans for three years and this is my final year. Dont get me wrong the preforming arts are great and the academics are good however the focus and thrive is not there. The middle school dean is to worried about his "drills" and how quiet students get when he walks in the room than the real problems. They act like people are supposed to fear them in some way. Good school but im needing something more.

Winans Academy High School 1

Posted March 01, 2013
This is a terrible school. The administration as a whole is a joke. There are a few individuals that care about the teachers but the others could care less. The administration has no indication how their actions affect the teachers and their daily teaching routine. The principal and vice principal have no professional conduct and at times they mandate the teachers for pointless meetings and functions, yet they don't show up themselves. All in all, this school fails at giving resources to its teachers and thus is failing at preparing its students for college and it's no surprise it will close within a year.

Posted October 26, 2012
I respect the culture and teachers that work in this school. My problem is with the unorganization in both the elementary and middle school office. For example, a lot of important notes go home at the last minute (one day before). Also they do not extend themselves at many opportunities when they should, for example on the first day of school there is no one in the office early to handle first day issues or concerns. Just today I had a concern because I sent a check to the school for cancer donation. The check was made out to the Cancer Foundation I do not understand why it could not be forwarded with the other donations from the school. I was contacted at my job like I created a real problem for them. I suppose I should not have attempted to dress my son in (pink) or try to donate to the Cancer Foundation which I had already donated earlier with the month.

Posted May 11, 2012
Winans Academy does not get your child for college. They concentrate on Performing Arts more than academics.

Posted April 17, 2010
That last comment is not true. I am in advance dance also and I am not in club but I have performed. Usually a person in advance dance who does not perform are probably not really an advance dancer. They got in the class cuz of scheduling or they beg to get in advance bcuz if you r really good enough to b n advance u r n dance club. The dance & vocal r the best n the school

Posted June 12, 2009
The elementary school is a train wreck waiting to happen. The principal and assistant principal don't know how to run a school. Please don't send your kids to this school! I made the mistake and have taken them out after 1 year.

Posted June 11, 2009
Horrible School! The elementary school is going down the drain. The administration is out of control and they are ruining the vision!

Winans Academy High School
7616 Nevada Avenue, Detroit, MI  48234
Last modified Winans Academy High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Winans Academy High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top