Posted April 29, 2014
I have a daughter who attends DEPSA school. She's in the kindergarten and doing very well. I love the partnership between her teacher and myself. We communicate to make sure my daughter is getting everything she needs with her learning. This is a great school and the curriculum is awesome.

Edison Public School Academy 4

Posted October 08, 2013
My children have been attending depsa for a about four years now, they are happy and are learning at a lower pace than what i would like but they are content and learning. The teachers are overworked in the elementary school, i know someone there and she never has any home time because she is always working on papers, homework checking, etc. She is always stressed because of her teaching job, and she is absolutely the best teacher in the elementary division. She is always worried, worried that she could be the next one fired, especially if the money is tight at the school. They always get rid of the highest earning teachers when things begin to go south. I was a teacher for 12 years and when i got canned it was because the school i was at was losing enrollment and money, funding if you will. Teachers are unappreciated today and there is very little loyalty to them, but they demand loyalty from us. Parents on the other hand are pretty much clueless as to how to raise their children. I worry over the lack of intellectual stamina that exists in our schools and within our body of parents. Yet, DEPSA is a good school, and i applaud the efforts of Mr. Bland to keep the school .

Edison Public School Academy 4

Posted October 06, 2013
I had the most amazing experience! The Principal and the coaches came together to support me in my instruction! I was a first year teacher struggling to deliver instruction in a way that was engaging. I appreciate the observations, professionalism and seeing the growth of my students!

Posted September 27, 2013
Detroit Edison Public School Academy is a wonderful place for children to learn! The school is known for having scientifically researched based programs the drive student achievement.

Posted August 22, 2013
This, by far, is the worst teaching experience of my entire career. Employees mean NOTHING to these leaders. There is constant turnover and a devaluing of what employees have to offer. It's their way or the highway. I would NEVER send my child to this school! There is no consistency with anything. Instead of improving on their customer service and human resource, they trap people with contracts. Their is no unity and again, I'm speechless at the way people are treated Elian this company.

Edison Public School Academy 3

Posted June 24, 2013
PMy child attends this school, I thought this was school excellent. I had no problems until mychildteacher one feday was gone. No word was giving to the parents, nothing was tills to the students, even if they are kids something should have been told to them because that's who had been teaching them all year, that is who they know and to have teacher after teacher changed on them for about a month was ridiculous. My child grades slipped some because he would turn in work it is suppose to be giving back everyday to do the next day work, sometimes it wouldn't be graded other times he just didn't get them back. He had been on the honor roll for the last two reportcards, he didn't get his last two. But besides that to me the school it's the teachers Care about those students and the students love the teachers, the administrators need to get it tighter. They challenge the kids and I seen a comment from another parent about DPS is looking better, the same work my child was doing in kindergarten, a 2ND grader was doing the same work so "please" on DPS, they are not even close to DEPSA, they will get it together.

Posted June 05, 2013
The superintendent and other administrators at DEPSA talk a great game about high-quality urban education, but the reality is less than great, especially for teachers. Teachers are expected to stay late (unpaid) after school every day to help with tutoring, meetings or other extracurricular activities. The administration is disorganized (for example, a disciplinary referral system was not set up for several weeks into the school year). Administration also does not follow through well with disruptive students, sometimes even undermining a teacher's authority over a student, causing a variety of disciplinary problems. Teachers' prep time is consumed with meetings, supervising and disciplining students, contacting parents, and other things that look good, but do not support the work of producing quality lessons for the classroom, which must then be done in the teacher's own time. In light of these demands, it is no wonder that DEPSA has a high teacher turnover rate. The students are bright and motivated to learn, the teachers care and work hard, but this is not a healthy school for either of them.

Posted May 28, 2013
This Is My First Year At Depsa As A Freshman. My first impression of this school was Depsa is an excellent school and very manorable. As the year went on. It has been a terrible disaster. The administration is very unorganized. Three of my teachers has quit. We aren't allowed to go too the bathroom anymore. We have visitors every single day. Depsa is becoming very "money hungry".

Edison Public School Academy 2

Posted April 17, 2013
If there is a high teacher turnover rate at ANY school then there is something broken within the administration. No good teacher, that has a desire, passion and talent to teach will willingly leave his/her students unless the administration is unsupportive or insisting or making unnecessary demands on the teacher. Do parents realize how many unpaid hours of over time DEPSA requires it's teachers to work? Has any parent actually worked within the school and/or with it's curriculum "coaches" or administration to provide work that is redundant and unnecessary? Please know your information and facts before you deem a teacher "lazy"; teaching is not for the faint of heart and no one is in this for the pay only. We have a desire to have young people learn and when that is not prioritized or set aside for the sake of administration "saving face" or their refusal to support their teachers, that is where the problem lies. I speak as both a former teacher and parent of DEPSA.

Posted December 17, 2012
I think this school is a pioneer for other schools to follow. The school invests in its students. How many schools purchase its students a book about winning scholarships from an Amazon best selling author that won $500,000. The school even went as far as bringing the author to the school to speak further on the subject. The event only had roughly 40 - 50 participants. In today's world when going to college is a requirement, learning how to pay for college is just as essential. Once a school makes the resources available, the ownership then shifts to the parents and students to make the time. Lastly, parents cannot complain about not having the internet. In today's world, not having the internet is detrimental to your child's future. There are so many educational resources online, and we need to be current. Phones, libraries, etc. all have access to the net. Make the investment in your child, I assure you the trade off pays huge dividends.

Edison Public School Academy
1903 Wilkins St, Detroit, MI  48207
Last modified Edison Public School Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edison Public School Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 85 reviews.