Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)

Edison Public School Academy 3

Posted July 20, 2016
It's a good school academically but they are disorganized and they lack communication. They don't tell students and parents,and also teachers about certain things. They are NOT consistent with their rules and every year they always doing something new to be strict on the students. For example,they had thing called tight right and that didn't last for long.Plus they tell you to get on the right side of the hall way but it's common sense to get on the right side. That's all I got to say it's academically but everything else from organization to rules do better.

Posted August 15, 2015
DEPSA is honestly a mixed bag. The teacher turnover rate is extremely high, sometimes in the middle of the school year, which causes disruptions in the classroom. The teachers are talked down to by the administrators and there is an obvious lack of morale. Teachers are not allowed to deviate from the curriculum and cannot teach to the child. Individual student needs are not even addressed or taken into consideration. It is one size fits all. Basically, it is a top down and very dogmatic environment, with teachers and staff having no decision-making authority even over minor mundane matters. Still, our children enjoy their teachers and peers, and feel safe in this environment. They are learning and developing nicely, but not as quickly as they could. The academic program could definitely be much more rigorous. More support needs to be in place for children at the upper and lower levels. If you are looking for an exceptional academic program for either your over achiever or different learner you may want to look elsewhere. If you have an average or just slightly above average student, DEPSA is worth a look. They serve the mid-range student exceptionally well. Finally, DEPSA offers amazing class trips each year, making it a fun place for many kids.

Edison Public School Academy 2

Posted June 01, 2015
This school ruined my life. Thanks to the staff a trouble maker came into my class and bullied me. Instead of straightening things out in the other classroom, the trouble maker came to my honors class where he did not belong. He only lowers the class percentage and continues his bad deeds that he had done previously. When I stood up to him he swung me into a desk and I hit my ribcage. This triggered asthma symptoms and I was forced to go to the hospital. I was suspended and when I came back I found out that the principal had already told my class that I went to the hospital and everyone, even in different classes knew. It turns out that news of me going to the hospital made the bully feel proud and went around the school making up stories about how the altercation happened and bragged about sending me to the hospital. And after all of that he even threatened to do it again. In conclusion, I was transferred to his former non-honors class for losing my temper and he stayed in my former class happy as can be. The school's education is exceptional, but is difficult with constant misbehaving students and constantly changing teachers. My main problem was how the staff handles situations, teachers quitting all the time, and last minute notifications.

Edison Public School Academy 1

Posted September 30, 2014
I am a current parent of DEPSA and I am not pleased with what I've experienced thus far. The Parent-teacher conferences are severely disorganized. Teachers are quitting as soon as they can find another opportunity because of the lack of the ability to deviate from the norm and actually challenge the children who need it. The pay is horrible. I think DEPSA is more concerned about the $$ they receive rather than the faculty, staff and most importantly, the children. I am starting to think they are pushing children through to the next grade just to keep up their image. Poor communication, poor time management and the lack of respect and consideration! I get last minute automatic calls from the school telling me about orientation the next day. I don't know about anyone else, but I have a full-time job that frowns upon last minute requests to leave work early, especially when it is NOT an emergency situation. DEPSA, you have to do better. There are a large number of teachers, parents AND students who would agree.

Posted August 09, 2014
DEPSA offers quality education and a strong curriculum. Our child is learning and progressing very well academically, and is on level with children who attend private schools. However, the curriculum does not allow for creative and analytical expression. The children are simply giving back what they receive rather than developing as free thinkers. DEPSA is rigid and unyielding, and doesn t easily meet individual needs. Teachers complain that they must teach directly from the curriculum they receive, without deviation. One of the lead teachers expressed that she felt she would lose her job if she deviated at all, or even voiced her concerns. Teachers are not empowered, which affects their ingenuity, spontaneity and creativity in the classroom. The children are learning, but it is more of a rote process. All children are treated exactly the same without consideration for their unique needs. A talented and gifted child is given the same exact homework as a child who is struggling. Some of the homework is the same each week whether the child has mastered the given concepts or not, and it is hard to see the purpose in that. Still, my child is definitely advancing academically.

Edison Public School Academy 5

Posted April 29, 2014
I have a daughter who attends DEPSA school. She's in the kindergarten and doing very well. I love the partnership between her teacher and myself. We communicate to make sure my daughter is getting everything she needs with her learning. This is a great school and the curriculum is awesome.

Posted October 08, 2013
My children have been attending depsa for a about four years now, they are happy and are learning at a lower pace than what i would like but they are content and learning. The teachers are overworked in the elementary school, i know someone there and she never has any home time because she is always working on papers, homework checking, etc. She is always stressed because of her teaching job, and she is absolutely the best teacher in the elementary division. She is always worried, worried that she could be the next one fired, especially if the money is tight at the school. They always get rid of the highest earning teachers when things begin to go south. I was a teacher for 12 years and when i got canned it was because the school i was at was losing enrollment and money, funding if you will. Teachers are unappreciated today and there is very little loyalty to them, but they demand loyalty from us. Parents on the other hand are pretty much clueless as to how to raise their children. I worry over the lack of intellectual stamina that exists in our schools and within our body of parents. Yet, DEPSA is a good school, and i applaud the efforts of Mr. Bland to keep the school .

Posted October 06, 2013
I had the most amazing experience! The Principal and the coaches came together to support me in my instruction! I was a first year teacher struggling to deliver instruction in a way that was engaging. I appreciate the observations, professionalism and seeing the growth of my students!

Edison Public School Academy 5

Posted September 27, 2013
Detroit Edison Public School Academy is a wonderful place for children to learn! The school is known for having scientifically researched based programs the drive student achievement.

Edison Public School Academy 1

Posted August 22, 2013
This, by far, is the worst teaching experience of my entire career. Employees mean NOTHING to these leaders. There is constant turnover and a devaluing of what employees have to offer. It's their way or the highway. I would NEVER send my child to this school! There is no consistency with anything. Instead of improving on their customer service and human resource, they trap people with contracts. Their is no unity and again, I'm speechless at the way people are treated Elian this company.

Edison Public School Academy
1903 Wilkins Street, Detroit, MI  48207
Last modified Edison Public School Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.