Public charter
Detroit, MI

Posted July 29, 2013
David ellis academy east was a very terrible school they had many many activities such as cheering,girls baseball,boys basketball,dance,and lylas group now all we have is a coed basketball team and dance team.......thier gym teacher mr.green has anger issues half of the basketball quit because of him all he does is makes them run back in forth and we lost every game accept 1 also my daughter told me that while they were doing notes he was watching boxing on youtube and on his phone. He picks on this young boy in 6th grade and i saw that with my own eyes. They have no gym uniform they either have to put there school shirt over there uniform or just workout and play just remember to bring gym shoes. Ms.comeaux,Mr.reed,and Ms.todd are the only teacher that take responsibility. There were lots of complaints about one teacher I've heard as a substitute and talks down on all grades she substitutes some parents threaten to leave the school and they boosted the children a grade up they unorganized but at the end of the day my Child's not going there next year!!!

David Ellis Academy 5

Posted July 29, 2013
I loved that school, and I always will. I've been there since Kindagarden to the sixth grade. Then I was transfer to the sister school, but that school was my second home, and always will be. The staff is amazing. I would miss that school

David Ellis Academy 5

Posted May 18, 2013
David Ellis Academy is a model charter. We are firm believers that student achievement is a must. In order for our students to achieve, our teachers must be highly qualified and always willing to learn as well. We believe in teaching the whole student. Therefore character is important and reinforced at DEA. Community partners and parents are integral stakeholders that DEA involves in our successes! The teachers are knowledgeable, the staff is helpful and the principal is fun! We are a family and we welcome you! I am not sure of where so many negative comments come from but we welcome you to see for yourself! :)

Posted March 25, 2013
I enrolled my daughter into kindergarten for school year 2012-2013. They have two, half of days a month off and with the winter break, spring break and professional development days it is too many days out of school. I just don't understand what the purpose of the half of days are. I don't see how a quality education can be provided with so many days off. I understand the breaks because those are the norms for students but half a days too. I have talked to a few other parents to see what they do with their children on the half of days and they say that their kids stay home. Unfortunately, I can't leave a 5-year-old home alone. The excessive time off is a burden. For a prime example, March 2013: Half day of school on 03/07/2013, no school on 03/15/2013, half of day 03/28/2013, no school on 03/29/2013. Their policy also doesn't make sense. My daughter was being bullied on several occassions and the administrator informed me that it is against policy to disclose actions taken on the other child. My daughter was the victim and I explained that a victim has the right to know the outcome but staff reinforced that it's their policy. I can't wait for the school year to be over.

David Ellis Academy 4

Posted February 20, 2013
I went to Devid Ellis 2 years ago from 1-6 grade. Even though the school isn't perfect they taught me things very well. I was placed in higher level classes during my 7th grade year at a new school. The teachers I had were very well. Even though the principal I had wasn't fair in my opinion but I'm just a kid. All in all David Ellis is a great school to send your child to.

Posted January 16, 2011
his is my daughter 2nd year at the 7mile Schafer location and her last. Last year we did not have as many problems as we do this year. The school should be for students looking for a second chance at their education. The teachers have NO control over the students, they respect and listen to me more than they listen to their teachers and it is a grave disappointment. I could go on and on but to avoid putting the school down in its entirely the best thing for me to do is to remove my child from the noneducational institution.

Posted June 16, 2010
The school is horrific! The building is close to dilapidated, the Principal has no sense of organization or urgency. The school cannot keep a science or math teacher (core subjects). No wonder their test scores are horrible. When going to parent teacher conference I found it unorganized and many teachers did not show up. I took my child out as soon as I found another school. Think twice before sending your Child to David Ellis. Their Test Scores Say it ALL

David Ellis Academy 0

Posted April 02, 2010
I feel the school is awesome in so many ways. The teachers are very attentive to the students. My daughter told me that the reason students can't come and go to the bathroom is because a few students are making it bad for others because they destroy school property but her teachers still let her go if it's an emergency. If students are being talked down to, and I doubt they are, then they probably deserve it. I think the principal is moving the school forward in so many ways.

Posted March 25, 2010
Yes, I have to agree, this school is awful in so many ways. The teachers are not attentive to the students at all. They deny them opportunities to go the bathroom and talk down to them constantly. It was once a very good school, that has suffered by the change in leadership. The principle needs to get a clue.

David Ellis Academy 0

Posted March 19, 2010
The principal is awful, some of the teachers are good, others aren't, they won't help a child out, if they need it. Tutoring doesn't help, the principal has favorites and let things go, (as far as threats), don't send your child to this school, it's a death trap!!! i've tried to ask for assistance, i've been given the run around, now david ellis will know how his school is being ran

David Ellis Academy
18977 Schaefer Highway, Detroit, MI  48235
Last modified David Ellis Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
David Ellis Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 40 reviews. Top