Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I was esstatic for the first day of school. I had visited the school a couple times before school started to get my daughter enrolled. We met the principle He was great. So I just knew it was a great school after reading the reviews and everything I felt secure with what I thought would be a great choice considering me and my daughter had just moved to the neighborhood and had a few options on schools. This seemed to be the best choice. We was in for a rude awakening the third day of school my daughter got into a fight. A young lady stepped to my daughter and told her to shut the F word up numerous times then hauled off and slapped my daughter in the face which engaged them in a fight. The young lady is known to be a bully I spoke with the prinicple they moved her to a differnt class. After they told me they would not be switching my daughters class they switched her class anyway. They fired the best principal and the school has went down hill from there they do not have any control over the students in the classrooms since all of that my daughter has had several fights with girls and boys all provoked by someone hitting her, and I have had meetings with the school about bullying policies which they have not put in effect. This school is out of order and has a bed bug problem. One of the office staff Ms. TILLIS is very rude to people. IT'S THE WORST SCHOOL MY DAUGHTER HAS BEEN TO EVER. They switched the Teachers so much because the class is so out of order they cant find a teacher to stay longer then a month. Teachers have cried that they cant handle the class and the parents dont care about their children as soon as this year is up im snatching my daughter out of that school Asap. They should have never gotten rid of Mr. Buldger he was the glue that was holding this poor little school together. Im so dissapointed.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly disagree

No not at all they tolerate bullying when there is supposed to be a zero tolerance policy in place against bullying. My daighter has been a victim of bullying this year

Supports LD students: Neutral

I dont know about this subject i dont have s child with learning differences.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The Teachers fail to lead the students at the proper way. The teachers are as childish as the childten

Develops character: Strongly disagree

These kids dont even respect they teachers they yell back at them be ready to fight them.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

My daughter didn't get homework for the whole first quarter.

I am a student at DSLA and it is not bad at all we learn we been on t.v. we had interviews billboards so elementary is not a joke you are used to babies but we are the real deal we had so many principles because they are trying to find the best one atleast this school trys so i would say great

My daughter has been a student here since kindergarten she is now a fourth grader. The staff is excellent and I'm really excited for her to continue on until the eighth grade.

The primary academy is amazing and gets your child off to a great start, but the elementary academy is a joke. My child (4th grade) has had two principals, two assistant principals, five teachers, and numerous "guest teachers" that have graced her classroom and the building. The turnover rate is despicable. I have brought my concerns to the administrative several times to no avail-the school takes no personal responsibility whatsoever for your child's education. My child has been bullied, has property stolen, has had her hair pulled, etc and has brought concerns to the "teachers" there only to be ignored with no action taken. The students with behavior issues are not sent home or held responsible for their actions. The teachers have the kids doing below grade level work. There is no organization. This was a good school once.....years ago.

I agree with the last post. This school was once excellent. With the continuous staff changes things have continued to go in a downward spiral. The principle has probably changed every year for the last three years and the teachers are starting to leave as well. The principle is horrible and the staff is even worst. The teachers have no control over the classrooms, they do not notify you of any changes. All of the extra programs that I choose the school for they have cut out, no Christmas program, no end of the year carnival, and no compassionate staff. I hate for my daughter to change schools her 8th grade year, but she will not be returning next year.

Last modified Detroit Service Learning Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.