Detroit Service Learning Academy 2

Posted June 11, 2014
I agree with the last post. This school was once excellent. With the continuous staff changes things have continued to go in a downward spiral. The principle has probably changed every year for the last three years and the teachers are starting to leave as well. The principle is horrible and the staff is even worst. The teachers have no control over the classrooms, they do not notify you of any changes. All of the extra programs that I choose the school for they have cut out, no Christmas program, no end of the year carnival, and no compassionate staff. I hate for my daughter to change schools her 8th grade year, but she will not be returning next year.

Detroit Service Learning Academy 1

Posted June 10, 2014
This school was good at one point in time but now it is horrible. I would not recommend you send your dog the for training. Administration care more about money then education. They are study changing staff members without even telling the parents. Teachers have no control over the classrooms. When ever there is a out break of the flu they don't notify the parents. And lastly a lot of the administratiob have bad attitudes

Detroit Service Learning Academy 4

Posted May 26, 2010
I am extremely impressed with this school. The principal and support staff as well as the teachers are present themselves in a very professional manner. This is my son's 3rd school in 3 yrs and I hope to be his last through 8th grade. The learning and social responsibility curriculum are all very relevant to today's environment and culture. The homework is pertinent and an extension to what is being taught at that time and not just a packet of work that my child has no clue about because it was just breezed through in the classroom. I hope his 3rd grade year is as successful as his 2nd grade year was. I look forward to many more honor role certificates to come through my door!

Posted May 01, 2010
If you want your child to have the best, then Detroit Service Learning Acd is for you. The teachers are great in terms of providing your child with what they need. It is a technology base school, therefore, your child will far exceed in their knowledge of computer. They will be educated on social networking, search engines, and many other aspects of the computer. But wait! They will learn on regular PC, MAC, etc... The administration from top to bottom work for what is in the best interest of your child. M.E.A.P. scores, as well as, other national testing problems are very high. I can go on, but I will leave it to you to do your research.

Detroit Service Learning Academy 1

Posted December 15, 2009

Posted November 12, 2009
My daughter is a student at DSLA and so far it has been just ok. I would like for the school to have weekly classroom newsletters that highlight what is happening in the school and in the classrooms on a weekly basis. At the JA for 6-8 this is not in place and it should be. Also, teachers should be required to update grades in powerschool on a weekly basis and not wait until the end or weeks later so that parents can keep up to date with their child's grades. One more thing about the school is that I think they do a good job at preparing the students for the MEAP test and that is a plus.

Posted November 01, 2009
I love my school it is fun but is disiplined but you can learn stuff that most high school kids are learning now

Posted August 10, 2009
I am Jazmine Williams. I am a former student. I gratuated from there in 2007. I have to say to the staff and parents that are reading this. DSLA is a real wonderful school for your child to attend. I have learn so much from the school, staff, students, and parents. I would like to say i am proud to be a DSLA former student.!!! 1999-2007 had lots of fun...! :)

Posted July 28, 2009
i am a 6th grade student at the dsla and i love it the curriculum academics and the social activity is amazing whoever is in this school is up for an amazing life changing chance of education!

Posted April 18, 2009
Our school is excellent and it is better than it was before.

Detroit Service Learning Academy
21605 West 7 Mile Rd, Detroit, MI  48219
Last modified Detroit Service Learning Academy is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Detroit Service Learning Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 45 reviews.