Bad
Good

1st grade teacher was focused more on classroom behavioral issues than actually educating the children. My child attend ORAE from Preschool through 1st grade and will not be retuning for 2nd. Events are chaotic and unorganized, poor administration and poor quality of education. My 1st grader was stabbed in the hand with a pencil and the teacher said she was being too sensitive because the other student said she was sorry! The same teacher wouldn't allow my child to go to the rest room after repeated request until she couldn't hold it any longer and went right in the classroom - how embarrassing!!! The reasoning was because the children had already taken a few bathroom trips. Unless you like ignorant parents, confusion and chaos, send your child elsewhere... I can't imagine things getting much better based on the other reviews I've read for the higher grades.

My son has been going to ORA since 3rd grade, I've been impressed since day one of the small class rooms, challenging homework, and the support of all the teachers going over and beyond. My son is now in the 5th grade and I'm definitely going to enroll him in the middle school.

I have 4 children at ORA. My oldest is in 2nd grade and has been their for 3 years. My family and I love this school and the environment. They force the children to dress for success on a daily basis and to take responsiblilty for their actions. I am a very involved parent and the staff works with my family and I to make sure my children are getting the best education possible. Some parents need to realize that the educating of our children starts at home and you can't expect everything to be taught in school. If you don't start this process at home, your child is already at a disadvantage.

For the teacher who stated that all Mr. Smith cares about is money, all I have read about is what she is so unhappy about which just happens to be money. This teacher needs to re-evaluate what exactly she is at the school, and is her ultimate goal money or making sure our children learn.

This school needs to be closed down, ORA makes Detroit public schools look like Harvard. The entire school year, my son has not had field trips, they are unorganized. I do not suggest this school to ANYONE. This year is my childrens LAST year at ORA

Melvin Smith the CEO of Old Redford Academy cares about only one thing, MONEY! Back in 2008, the students didn't have enough outdated books, but the whole administartion staff went to Aruba for a "Professional Development". Good teachers get let go, because they are due for a raise and replaced by teachers fresh out of college. Half of them don't even make it through the school year, but their "CHEAP". This kind of corruptness that needs to be eradicated from Detroit, not put on display for all the Kids to see.

Melvin Smith the CEO for Old Redford Academy cares about one thing, MONEY. This guy took his whole administartion staff to Aruba for a "Professional Development" while my students went the entire year without enough outdated books for everyone. The turnover rate for teachers is so high because, once you've worked there long enough to deserve a good raise, you get replaced by a fresh out of college teacher. These teachers are cheap, but they also are inexperienced and a lot of them don't make it through the year. This is the kind of corruptness that needs to be eradicated from Detroit, not put on display for the kids to see.

My grandson failed kindergarten at the school last year. This year he is on the honor roll. His current teacher could not understand why he was held back along with some other children in her class this year. Something is wrong with this picture.

If your the type of parent who complains about rules and regulations then this school isn't for you. No fights and there pently of after school programs like environment science club,art club,french club,etc...

I have one child attending ORAE and one at ORAM, My son is in 6th grade and I love how his teachers keep me involved with his learning and with whats is going on in school seeing that I can not be there due to work. They keep me informed via email so what ever take place in school that day i am aware rather its good news or bad news, this gives me the oppertunity to address the situation right away instead of waiting on parent teacher conference. I love this school. Keep up the good work staff.

Last modified Old Redford Academy - Elementary is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.