Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=17139+oak+dr,detroit,mi+48221&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=rzmm2y3dvonaxz_v31lmmvsiskq=

Gesu Elementary School

Community rating:
Detroit MI

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Gesu Elementary School 5454939 3

Posted February 18, 2014
I can only speak on the preschool program... which was an awesome experience for my family. My daughter learned A LOT including things on the solar system, Lords prayer and provided opportunities for my child to join the choir. If we hadn't moved so far south we would have continued there. I only rated it a three-star because I cringe at the play ground and the forced fundraiser, which if you do no sell tix, its added to your child's tuition.

Gesu Elementary School 4979035 1

Posted October 09, 2013
Worst leadership from a Principle ever!! The parents don't respect her and neither do the students. Last year, they wasted money on a Dean of Students, and that was a bust too because he wasn't qualified either in such matters. The person who did the most cheer leading recently has the most to loose--time! The curriculum has a lot to be desired, and what's being taught is well below average grade level. The teachers aren't teaching to the average students but to the below average students, and unfortunately, there are a lot of them there, through no fault of their own. If you took an average Gesu kid, and put them into a higher performing school (private or public) these children would be struggling while heartedly. Keep your child in this school environment is doing them a disservice. And the premier in charge doesn't ever go over there, let alone make an effort to know the kids or their names! It's a darn shame!

Gesu Elementary School 5205265 4

Posted July 24, 2013
The principal is uneducated and inexperienced. The discipline problems at this school are not handled properly by the administration, if that's what you call it. The teacher turnover rate wouldn't be so high if the principal didn't allow the parents to run her classrooms and she does nothing about it! The teachers are the ones who carry this school. There are a couple veterans that need to retire, but I was happy to see the fresh faces hired in the last two years. The only reason why my children have and will continue their education at Gesu is because of the teachers. As a parent and administrator, I am less than impressed with the new principal's first year.

Gesu Elementary School 5186415 4

Posted July 09, 2013
The school is truly a hidden gem. It has literally produced leaders for decades. It has a strong cirrcuculum and access to the resources of the University of Detroit Mercy! How many elementary schools have a deep partnership with a prestigious university located literally across the street? I will say, though the building is beautiful and well maintained, it is definitely showing its age. Something should be done about that.

Gesu Elementary School 5182784 2

Posted July 05, 2013
My child went to Gesu Pre-school and it was the worse thing I could have done for my child. She was already prepared for school and the staff focused on those that were not, i.e. not knowing abc's, can't write own name. Before My child went to Gesu she was writting her letters (upper and lower) correctly. Now she is writting letters backwards. The teacher prides herself on being a pre-school teacher for 15+ years, but she does not smile, is mean to the children and doesn't acknowledge the parents when you are droping off your child. I feel as thought we wasted a year of education on Gesu. My old day care center was better than Gesu. Everything about the school was last minute, from the lunch menus to the fundraisers. My child will not be returned to Gesu, I'm not wasting anymore money.

Gesu Elementary School 5111818 1

Posted April 22, 2013
I am disappointed with my son's Gesu Pre-School experience. The teachers are not patient with the children. The teachers don t even smile. They treat the kids like little prisoners. The children aren't aloud to talk neither during lunch nor during latch key. My son is terrified of the teachers. I didn't know why until I walked in on the teachers scolding the children for talking during a latch key movie. My son was having a problem with understanding the ambiguous directions. I asked the teacher about the directions. She said my son was trying to do whatever he wanted to do and she just gave up on trying to explain. Since when does a teacher give up on a student? I feel really bad for sending my son into such a hostile environment. He will not attend Gesu for Kindergarden. I feel that the pre-school experience is the first line experience of what is to come in the grades to follow,

Gesu Elementary School 3956705 4

Posted January 17, 2013
Wow. My experience has been very different from the last post. My two children began at this school this year after transferring from another catholic school. The principal has been immediately responsive to any inquiry or concern that I have had and I and my children love her. It is nice to be in a school where the number of students is stable and not rapidly declining as is true of many catholic elementary schools now. My kids say this school "feels like home". I have checked the curriculum against the state standards content expectations for their grade levels and it is on par with the work they are doing. They offer in school tutoring free of charge for students who need help with particular subjects or concepts. I do feel that more advanced students could be a bit more challenged at times. I plan to speak with the principal about this soon and expect to be met with the same understanding and quick action that has been given to everything else. The school makes very good use of students from the university across the street and area catholic high schools and I am sure that they can be used to work with more advanced students.

Gesu Elementary School 3927397 1

Posted September 17, 2012
The school isn't that great. New Principle not that great, as she was the Asst Principle. IOWA scores are really low, and most of the teachers past the first/second grade are questionable. And the teachers and staff have been dropping like flies. I took my daughter out, and put her in a different school, and boy do I wish I had done it sooner. I cannot believe how low the Gesu standards and curriculum are. What a waste of time and money, but unfortunately, the person most harmed here is my daughter because she wasn't learning what she should have been in order to succeed. This school needs to clean up their act, and not reward an Assistant Principle with a promotion when she failed so miserably when she could have done a lot of little things and changes without stepping on the Principles toes when he was out ill, for basically the majority of the school.

Gesu Elementary School 4518594 5

Posted April 17, 2011
I LOVE this school. My child is learning academically and socially. They make a point not to hold her back, but push her ahead. It is a small close knit family. For the money (tuition has not increased in years) it's excellent!

Gesu Elementary School 3673994 5

Posted October 12, 2009
Gesu school has a long tradition of educating the future leaders of Detroit and Michigan. For decades, the school has been a 'feeder school' for some of the top private high schools in the Metro Detroit area including Mercy High School, UDJesuit, Catholic Central and much more. Many leaders in business, industry, goverment, education and law started their education at Gesu. Many of Detroit's private schools followed the population migrations to the suburban areas. But, Gesu school stayed in the City and showed its commitment to providing excellent education to Detroiters along with its Jesuit affiliated schools UD Detroit Jesuit and Detroit/Mercy. Gesu has gone from a peak of some 700+ students at its peak enrollment to the 247 students of today.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Gesu Elementary School
17139 Oak Dr, Detroit, MI  48221
Gesu Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.