Gesu School 5

Posted September 23, 2014
This is not one of those sink or swim schools that admits only gifted or accelerated learners. The school works with all children through regular classroom instruction, remediation and assistance for those who need it, and more challenging work for children who require it. There are high expectations of all children, and an obvious belief that all children can achieve great things with the right teaching and environment. Teachers are caring and committed, and the school stresses Christian values, providing a safe and nurturing place for children to learn. Generally class sizes are small. The school has a couple of classes that run into the mid twenties, but teachers seem to do a pretty good job of managing them. As a parent who has had children here for several years, I can say that the curriculum definitely becomes progressively more challenging as the children advance through the grades.

Posted September 04, 2014
Gesu school has become a nice educational alternative. In the past, this school turned out some of Detroit's most successful and accomplished professionals and leaders. After a bit of a slump, this school is making a real comeback. Parents are involved, leadership seems to be receptive (having made needed changes to the latchkey program, incorporating more technology with a new computer lab and updated library, upgrading facilities such as the new gymnasium floor, and beginning to examine new ways to challenge accelerated learners and expand athletic offereings.) No school is perfect, but the energy at this school is high. There seems to be a renewed recognition that education is about the children, first and foremost - and that the parents at this school will accept nothing less. I have learned that we must be a part of the great things we want to see happen. This is a great time to be a part of the positive changes at Gesu school.

Gesu School 3

Posted February 18, 2014
I can only speak on the preschool program... which was an awesome experience for my family. My daughter learned A LOT including things on the solar system, Lords prayer and provided opportunities for my child to join the choir. If we hadn't moved so far south we would have continued there. I only rated it a three-star because I cringe at the play ground and the forced fundraiser, which if you do no sell tix, its added to your child's tuition.

Posted October 09, 2013
Worst leadership from a Principle ever!! The parents don't respect her and neither do the students. Last year, they wasted money on a Dean of Students, and that was a bust too because he wasn't qualified either in such matters. The person who did the most cheer leading recently has the most to loose--time! The curriculum has a lot to be desired, and what's being taught is well below average grade level. The teachers aren't teaching to the average students but to the below average students, and unfortunately, there are a lot of them there, through no fault of their own. If you took an average Gesu kid, and put them into a higher performing school (private or public) these children would be struggling while heartedly. Keep your child in this school environment is doing them a disservice. And the premier in charge doesn't ever go over there, let alone make an effort to know the kids or their names! It's a darn shame!

Posted July 24, 2013
The principal is uneducated and inexperienced. The discipline problems at this school are not handled properly by the administration, if that's what you call it. The teacher turnover rate wouldn't be so high if the principal didn't allow the parents to run her classrooms and she does nothing about it! The teachers are the ones who carry this school. There are a couple veterans that need to retire, but I was happy to see the fresh faces hired in the last two years. The only reason why my children have and will continue their education at Gesu is because of the teachers. As a parent and administrator, I am less than impressed with the new principal's first year.
2 people found this helpful

Posted July 09, 2013
The school is truly a hidden gem. It has literally produced leaders for decades. It has a strong cirrcuculum and access to the resources of the University of Detroit Mercy! How many elementary schools have a deep partnership with a prestigious university located literally across the street? I will say, though the building is beautiful and well maintained, it is definitely showing its age. Something should be done about that.

Gesu School 2

Posted July 05, 2013
My child went to Gesu Pre-school and it was the worse thing I could have done for my child. She was already prepared for school and the staff focused on those that were not, i.e. not knowing abc's, can't write own name. Before My child went to Gesu she was writting her letters (upper and lower) correctly. Now she is writting letters backwards. The teacher prides herself on being a pre-school teacher for 15+ years, but she does not smile, is mean to the children and doesn't acknowledge the parents when you are droping off your child. I feel as thought we wasted a year of education on Gesu. My old day care center was better than Gesu. Everything about the school was last minute, from the lunch menus to the fundraisers. My child will not be returned to Gesu, I'm not wasting anymore money.

Posted April 22, 2013
I am disappointed with my son's Gesu Pre-School experience. The teachers are not patient with the children. The teachers don t even smile. They treat the kids like little prisoners. The children aren't aloud to talk neither during lunch nor during latch key. My son is terrified of the teachers. I didn't know why until I walked in on the teachers scolding the children for talking during a latch key movie. My son was having a problem with understanding the ambiguous directions. I asked the teacher about the directions. She said my son was trying to do whatever he wanted to do and she just gave up on trying to explain. Since when does a teacher give up on a student? I feel really bad for sending my son into such a hostile environment. He will not attend Gesu for Kindergarden. I feel that the pre-school experience is the first line experience of what is to come in the grades to follow,

Posted September 17, 2012
The school isn't that great. New Principle not that great, as she was the Asst Principle. IOWA scores are really low, and most of the teachers past the first/second grade are questionable. And the teachers and staff have been dropping like flies. I took my daughter out, and put her in a different school, and boy do I wish I had done it sooner. I cannot believe how low the Gesu standards and curriculum are. What a waste of time and money, but unfortunately, the person most harmed here is my daughter because she wasn't learning what she should have been in order to succeed. This school needs to clean up their act, and not reward an Assistant Principle with a promotion when she failed so miserably when she could have done a lot of little things and changes without stepping on the Principles toes when he was out ill, for basically the majority of the school.
2 people found this helpful

Gesu School 5

Posted April 17, 2011
I LOVE this school. My child is learning academically and socially. They make a point not to hold her back, but push her ahead. It is a small close knit family. For the money (tuition has not increased in years) it's excellent!

Gesu School
17139 Oak Drive, Detroit, MI  48221
Last modified Gesu School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Gesu School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews.