Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=17351+southfield+fwy,detroit,mi+48235&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=r4qldi4nmpx-vwi6vyl0rijxgoo=

St. Scholastica Elementary School

Community rating:
Detroit MI

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

St. Scholastica Elementary School 4564215 1

Posted June 20, 2011
I applied for St. Scholastica and I have to say that Mrs. Vaughn is one of the rudest Principals I have ever met. As she was interviewing me she asked me inappropriate questions regarding my son (whom she has never met)..like does he hit, or is he a bully. She did not give me a chance during the interview to tell her the great things regarding my son, and his accomplishments in his past schools but she only dwelled on negative questions based on what??? She kept stating that he will be on "probation" and I asked her why would she mark my son in such a negative manner because tshe and her staff will constantly look for negative behavior that he may or may not do as a 6 yr. old. I faxed her and Fr. Babcock a letter of stating how disappointed I was with her behavior and when I spoke to the Fr. Babcock he seemed to condone her negative behavior and her line of questioning to a potential parent. I heard so many good things about St. Scholastica but after that encounter I will not recommend this school to no one.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 4567801 1

Posted June 14, 2011
This year will be the last here. I work very hard for my money and what I have seen is that in comparsion to what other students are learning in the public sector I will begin to envoke my FAPE rights and send my child to a public school this coming fall. The form of instruction is not engaging and does focus on the whole child. I will save my money for a school that invest into it's children. Poor adminstration (Principal) along with outdated tactics is what I have seen here.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 4557786 2

Posted June 02, 2011
I really want to love this school but it is lacking in so many areas that I know my child is suffering by attending. The principal, Mrs. Vaughn seems to be constantly unorganized and unapproachable. This school year I had to call the school to find out when school was to start because no notices were sent out. School started after labor day and for some reason classes will be dismissed on June 3, which is a short school year compared to other schools. The split classes for 1st and 2nd, 3rd and 4th grades does not allow the teachers to give each grade level the atention the children deserve and the parents are paying for. There are no sports available for many of the students. This school would benefit from a better principal and better rograms for the students, definately not worth the money.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 4550741 3

Posted May 25, 2011
My son has spent one complete school year at St. Scholastica and as a parent I noticed the lack of patience this school exhibits with children. My son hadn't been exposed to years of Spanish and religion as the other students, but was expected to perform on the same level without a stable foundation being provided. On some occasions I noticed how students whom had been a part of the St. Scholastica family for a long period of time were excused for their inappropriate behaviors. I found the private school teaching styles to be extremly outdated for today's time. They have antiquated methods for teaching and do not use varied levels of instruction to reach all. The lack of technology use in the classroom will eventually become a hinderance to students in the future. The adminstration is very unpleasant and rude. If Ms. Vaughn would be more approachable I am sure she could get the type of parental involvement that she strives for. With her harsh disposition I'm not sure what parents would really want to dedicate extra time to the school. Mrs. Vaughn has been a major reason why I have decided not to continue on with this school. You truly need some professional development.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 2904263 5

Posted April 27, 2010
What a outstanding school!!!! I love that the school is classified as a 'safe' school. Well their record shows they are a safe school. The Prinicipal is wonderful and she treats the kids as if they are her own. The parent involvment was lacking a bit when we started here two years ago. However, with the newer parents coming in, it is starting to increase. I have never been to an private elementary/junior high school offer such a large sports and academic program. Track, softball, baseball, volleyball, academic games, scouting and much more!!! Kids can start participating ad early as 1st grade!!! The reading program is without question top notch. If you are looking for tight discipline, safe, clean, educated as was a nuturing school...St Scholastica is my school of choice!!! Keep up the good work!!!

St. Scholastica Elementary School 3804352 0

Posted September 11, 2009
I am a student of saint schoolastica and I like the school it has taught me slot about the Christian faith the teachers were good and I hope to come back again.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 3602042 0

Posted April 29, 2009
I am a parent new to St. Scholastica this school year. The school academics are very challenging. My son is doing exceptionally well thanks to the wonderful 4th grade teacher. Ms. Kos is an excellent teacher. She works extremely hard with the children. If you are looking for a challenging school with a dedicated staff, St. Scholastica is a sure fire hit.

St. Scholastica Elementary School 3546794 1

Posted April 14, 2009

St. Scholastica Elementary School 2112607 5

Posted January 24, 2007
My daughter attended St. Scholastica 1999-2003. I only switched schools because we relocated. She now attends public school. St. Scholastica gave my daughter the foundation and tools she needs to succeed. She is currently a straight A student.(four years straight) My daughter always says, ' Mom I already learned that at St. Scholastica. '

St. Scholastica Elementary School 1954820 5

Posted October 19, 2006
- a former student

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

St. Scholastica Elementary School
17351 Southfield Fwy, Detroit, MI  48235
(313) 532-1916
St. Scholastica Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.