Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=13436+grove+st,detroit,mi+48235&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=5wugvevn5j4svuspdpfohkhorzu=

St. Martin Deporres High School

Community rating:
Detroit MI

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

St. Martin Deporres High School 4937012 5

Posted September 29, 2012
I was a teacher at DePorres High school from 1967-1971. During my tenure there I can say that the faculty and students were some of the best people I have ever encountered. Joe Doolin was the principal and was an inspiration to us all. I loved my years there and will never forget the wonderful and inspiring students I met there. I am so sad that it closed. Submitted by former teacher Ray Mack

St. Martin Deporres High School 4937003 5

Posted September 29, 2012
I was a teacher at DePorres High school from 1967-1971. During my tenure there I can say that the faculty and students were some of the best people I have ever encountered. Joe Doolin was the principal and was an inspiration to us all. I loved my years there and will never forget the wonderful and inspiring students I met there. I am so sad that it closed. Submitted byRay Mack, a teacher

St. Martin Deporres High School 1421044 5

Posted December 21, 2005
- a former student
St. Martin de Porres was just the environment that I needed to help me find my place in life and help me identify my self. The strong christian ethics and the solid family values are unique to De Porres, the are very hard to find else where in our secular society. The stong disapline responsilbe for the drive and ambition found in each of DP's students. There is no reason De Porres should have ever closed. Not very often will you find a predominantly African American high school with 99% graduation rate and 95% percent later go on to college, most of them on scholarship. De Porres was an asset to the city of Detroit and to the black community.

St. Martin Deporres High School 1088638 4

Posted March 29, 2005

St. Martin Deporres High School 842745 2

Posted January 29, 2005
- a former student
St. Martin de Porres is a school that needs a lot of assistance. It all starts at the top. The principal, Ms. Hughes has done a poor job of managing this school for far too long. She has run away some of the finest students, teachers, coaches and alumni. The school has some very poor instructors due in part to the lack of accountability from anyone. It is apparent that the office management lacks the skill needed to be effective in properly educating today's youth. If you want a good sports program, DP is your school. If you want a good education, look elsewhere (U of D, OL-St. Mary's, CC or Rice). This school will be better if/when the current principal retires. Hopefully, they don't shutter the doors before this happens. I don't know what the current tuition is but if it is anything greater than $1, it is too much!

St. Martin Deporres High School 919622 5

Posted October 26, 2004
- a former student
DePorres is 'top-notch' in education. They hand pick their teachers and it really shows. DP is one of the better schools in Wayne County (research has proven). I would recommend DP to anyone wanting to send their child to a quality school to obtain a quality education. c/o 1988

St. Martin Deporres High School 880891 4

Posted September 20, 2004
A great school. The discpline, small class sizes, cleanliness, and overall culture of the school creates a wonderful learning enviorment. Would like to see more community and corporate support. An upgrading of the technology based learning equipment within the school. The athletic wing and playing field and track need remodeling.

St. Martin Deporres High School 880025 0

Posted September 19, 2004
- a former student
as an alumni of DP and mother of 4 i never considered DP as a school for my children. for 30 yrs their basic concern has always been sports. I have one son and i told him that playing a musical instrument would last longer than any career in sports. my son attends Notre Dame and is perfect 4.0 they offer advanced classes for students like him. I would like for the big DP to be noticed for academics as well as sports. And yes we already know dp is going to beat nd on 10/08/04

St. Martin Deporres High School 876698 5

Posted September 16, 2004

St. Martin Deporres High School 875543 5

Posted September 15, 2004
- a former student
I am a DP graduate who had a wonderful experience at DePorres. I went to DP for my entire high school career and I played 3 to 4 sports while attending. I presently am still in contact with 3 of my teachers and 2 of my coaches. I graduated from University of Detroit with honors. I also earned a full-ride scholarship to play women's basketball. I really do believe that DePorres opened up the doors to college. DePorres was a great family atmosphere where I learned courses dealing directly with college. When I got to college, I had no problems adjusting to the schedule and the many responsibilities I was facing. As a matter of fact DP helped me prepare for the major responsibilities that college brings to me. I really believe DePorres is a school of choice for anyone who is willing to work hard to get a good education.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

St. Martin Deporres High School
13436 Grove St, Detroit, MI  48235
St. Martin Deporres High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.