PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Overall, the curriculum at Waldorf is great, though I do have some concerns of the lack of computer skills and standardized testing. I would have probably given the school a better rating, except for the breakdown in communication between the school and our household the past few years. My daughter was upset after the gym teacher shoved her. After taking it up w/ the school, the incident was dismissed because my daughter could not produce witnesses. One of her music teachers told her her grade would be marked down because my daughter could not make a recital outside of school hours due to a conflict she had. Another music teacher rented instruments for all of the class except for her. When my wife complained, she was ignored initially, then told to rent an instrument on her own, which is what she did. We were given one set of dates for my daughter's trip to Canada over the summer, and after myself and my oldest daughter requested time off from work and rented a cabin so we could all go on a family vacation together, the dates were changed to conflict w/ our vacation so that our daughter was unable to come w/ us on vacation this year. This was the first real family vacation we would have had since my wife was diagnosed w/ a very aggressive form of breast cancer just over two years ago. Since I am a contractor and do not get paid time off, we can only afford one week vacation a year so prevented us from having a family vacation this year. My daughter had a bicycle block in Ann Arbor which ended nearly two weeks ago and we are still waiting to find out when she will get her bike back. I've raised 3 other daughters, that went to 3 different schools, including Roeper, public school and special education, and have not had nearly this many issues to deal with. I am looking forward to my daughter leaving Waldorf as it has become a source of unnecessary aggravations.

Handles bullying effectively: Disagree

I can not agree with this after the gym teacher shoved my daughter. This greatly upset her.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

Lack of communication and coordination due to issues stated in my review of the school.

DWS is a community and a family. Every single person that works there is committed to the well being of the students. We love the building, the curriculum, the families, the staff and the focus on educating the whole child.

Every child should have the opportunity to attend the Detroit Waldorf School and every parent should have the opportunity to learn from the superb faculty and staff at this fine institution. It is, hands down, the best environment to nurture a child and prepare them for a happy, healthy and productive life. My daughter attended a Waldorf pre-school program and then all eight grades at DWS. She learned to work well with others while being encouraged to develop her own unique talents and gifts. Today she is a thriving adult and we both credit her success in life to the foundation she received at the Detroit Waldorf School.

Enrolling my child in Detroit Waldorf School was a great move! From the moment I took the tour it felt like home. The staff are very knowledgeable, proficient and helpful. I love the school structure. I like concept of focusing on the child as a whole and not just academics. My child is actually being challenged. My child is no longer bored in the classroom. I like the notion of "free thinking". My child thinks outside the box and it good to know that she's in great company.

The curriculum offered at DWS is spot on, it appropriately meets children at their developmental stages of growth. Teachers see the each child for the gifts they offer and where each child may individually struggle with a subject area, the children are lifted up to improve their area of struggle rather than treated as deficient for their challenges. These are the values that drew me to the school and are reaffirmed every day. I have seen tremendous growth in my own daughter as a result of the commitment to these values and am happy there is a curriculum offered in this city that drowns out metrics for a successful school and focuses on what will make each individual child successful in their education and their future.

DWS honors childhood while simultaneously preparing our children to think critically, broadly and mindfully about our world and their place in it. Our experience with every teacher, staff member and administrator has left us feeling positive and energized about the experience our children are receiving through their DWS experience.

Teachers at Detroit Waldorf are committed to each and every student. Each child is treated as an individual with unique characteristics to be nurtured to allow the child to learn and grow to his highest potential. The curriculum is not based on tests and multiple choice, but rather on developing skills and talents. My son is thriving as a student at DWS.

I owe most everything in my life to my Waldorf Education. There is no better place to learn, grow and become who you are meant to be than at the Detroit Waldorf School. It is because of the education that I received there that I was able to achieve in higher education, up to the Graduate School Level. I am grateful everyday that my parent's choose Detroit Waldorf.

Last modified Detroit Waldorf School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8