Posted June 11, 2014
Today marks the end of our first year at Friends. I'm so glad we chose FSD! All three of our kids LOVE going to school. FSD has an amazing community of parents; while our kids were meeting and making new friends so were we! I'm glad we came to see for ourselves just what FSD has to offer after years of public schooling. The teachers are outstanding. The small class sizes are very similar to homeschool co-ops, allowing teachers to get to know the students and students get the attention they need and deserve--from gifted students needing extra challenge and enrichment to students needing additional support. The Quaker values make this the ONLY school of its kind in MI and a gem in the city. Parents are always welcome and there are lots of grandparents as well. I wish they would add a high school, but I love the fact that it's K-8. I think the tuition deters people from applying but there is a financial aid program. FSD offers: diversity, Quaker values, drama, art, foreign language, music, small classes and a genuine community of folks from Detroit and surrounding suburbs. Glad to be in the FSD family!

Posted April 17, 2014
I have a second grader in the Friends School who has loved her school experience since her first day in Kindergarten. My husband and I selected Friends after investigating several public, private and charter schools in the Detroit and beyond. We were clear that my daughter's education should include a diverse ethnic population and exceptional academics within a nurturing environment. The Friends School provides a well rounded experience within a framework of sound Quaker values. Values such as equality, empathy and kindness are interwoven into the curriculum and practiced in daily interactions. Children are treated with respect and learn to treat others likewise. Most importantly, the kids have a great time together. they're not just classmates; their each other best friends! The parents are very active in the school activities and keep things humming. We love our school

Posted November 22, 2013
I don't think it gets any better than Friends School in Detroit. After a couple of years of unavoidable absence, we are happy to be back at home at Friends. This is an awesome school that embraces diversity in every way, encourages critical thinking and real learning in every area, and purposely maintains small intimate class sizes. Teachers have high expectations and push students to excel but are more than willing to work quite extensively with children in need of extra help. The principal and teachers are highly responsive and caring. The fine arts program is comparable to what one would expect from a much more expensive private school. The school also believes in real world exposure. Already this year my daughter's class has traveled to horse stables and the symphony and will be visited soon by a long time senator. The school is not fancy - but it is family and you will know it from the moment you walk in the door. To top it all off, children are immersed daily in the overarching values of peace, love, and social justice.

Posted September 24, 2013
My child has been a student at Friendsi for 4 years and without a doubt I can say this is an EXCELLENT school. The school has a warm, nuturing and caring environment which focuses on the Quaker values. It is a great learning environment where each teacher has a vested interest in each childs education. The small class sizes is a definite plus which allows the teachers to ensure all of the students are at the same level.

Posted September 17, 2013
(Part II) We were both education in parochial school K-12, hold 4 degrees between us and both work in higher education, so we have very high academic standards. But equally, if not more important is the well-being of the whole child--which no public school can provide. Diversity and inclusion (race, socio-economic, etc.), academic excellence and small class sizes at an affordable price. You will not find a school like this anywhere else in Michigan. The community is tight knit and reside in the city and surrounding suburbs. Students get a holistic education--not just drills, regurgitation and memorization. Add to that an excellent drama, arts, foreign language, human rights, community service and a music program. We've seen school buildings with vaulted ceilings and restrooms in every classroom, but nothing of value occurring in them. There's nothing fancy about Friends--no gimmicks, just genuine folks who love kids. Teachers are approachable and hold degrees to teach their content area but are not bound by the MEAP and "common" core. The best decision we've made. Tired of supplementing at home? Tired of paying for tutoring and commercial "enrichment?" Come to Friends.

Posted September 17, 2013
(Part I) We are new to Friends this year. Like many folks who were born & raised in Detroit, we left a decade ago in search of good schools. 4 elementaries and 3 school districts later, we are back. It took us two years to finally make the decsiont to send all three of our kids. If you are noticing your very bright kids are becoming better test takers than problem solvers; if you long for academic challenge without competition; if you want to provide more than a drop-off-pick-up-assembly-line-one-size-fits-the-middle education for your child(ren); if you value Quaker principles--Friends might be the right fit for you. We researched public and private schools ad nauseum before making the decision. The director of admissions/interim headmistress assisted us with the financial aid process and cared more about our family joining the community at Friends than adding a family of three to the tuition roster. Parents from a variety of professions-- lawyers, doctors, artists, musicians, engineers and homemakers. Just a wonderful community! Students LOVE to be at school and rarely want to leave. We feel relieved that our kids are safe and sound and in the company of Friends.

Posted September 01, 2013
Friends School is the best private school in Detroit because of the small class sizes, the experience of its teachers, and the quality of the students enrolled. The parents are wonderful. Friends has an amazing arts and music department.

Posted January 03, 2013
My family is new to Detroit, having moved from the West coast. My daughter was always top of her class at her schools back home, rarely challenged, and often bored. Their solution to this was to move her up a grade... After being at Friends School for the second year, she has learned so much is completely challenged, never bored, and now studies for those A's! The teachers are amazing! They engage every student, making each and every one of them feel important, always eager to help and even more incredible; they are always reachable. It is like family at Friends! Having Quaker values is such a wonderful thing. You will find nothing but care, love, kindness and empathy at this school. It all begins from the first step through those doors, meeting the kind admissions director, touring the school, and having that welcoming interview with the Headmaster. We were impressed from day ONE! We live listening to our daughter talk about school each and every day- about how much she loves it & seeing how not only she, but each & every student love it so much they never want to leave! How many middle school students do that? Friends is the happiest place for learning in Detroit!

Posted January 03, 2013
My kids love it here at Friends. We lived in downtown Detroit when we first enrolled our kids. Now we are almost an hour away and still chose to send our boys here. They would not be happy anywhere else. Our eldest son had a reading challenge when he started 3 years ago. Now he is reading 2 years above his grade level! All thanks to the wonderful teachers and staff at Friends for taking the time to attend to our son's needs. I recommend this school to any parent that needs to know their child is safe, secure -and learning beyond comprehension!! Visit Friends and see for yourself! Your children can have a 2 day visit at the school, what better way to know!

Posted December 20, 2012
What an amazing place! After my son was at Friends for 1 year, his reading comprehension seemed to double. The teachers, parents, and adminstration seem to really love the kids they teach. I couldn't be happier. The Quaker system is truly all it is made out to be. This why Obama sends his girls to their sister school in DC.

Contact Information

1100 Saint Aubin St
Detroit, MI 48207

School website

Friends School In Detroit
1100 Saint Aubin St, Detroit, MI  48207
Last modified Friends School In Detroit is a private school that serves grades PK-8
Friends School In Detroit Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews.