Posted September 12, 2013
love this school, the culture is awesome...the interest in the students being good citizens is awesome too...the kids are challenged academically...

Cornerstone School--Nevada Primary 4

Posted September 12, 2013
I am a 14 year parent with two daughters who are outstanding students and individuals. My eldest is a senior at Cranbrook and my youngest in 5th grade both of whom began their academic walk in the Pre-k program at Cornerstone. Both of my girls left Pre-school reading and computing math not to mention taking Spanish and Mandarin Chinese. All 3rd graders must take the violin, talent or not, as we know that music enhances math and comprehension skills. I have been a member of our PTO since joining the school and I love interacting with other parents and the administration. There is no limit as to how much time you can volunteer at Cornerstone and I love that I am welcomed with open arms. There are so many wonderful extracurricular programs: Chess, Academic Games, Golf, Book Clubs to name a few. My youngest was introduced and excelled at ice skating through Cornerstone. We are truly a "Broad & Beloved Community"! If you want "Excellence" for your children when it comes to a rigorous curriculum, Christian values and outstanding opportunities for your child to be his or her best self.....come to Cornerstone. The sacrifice that my husband and I have made has been worth it!

Posted June 01, 2013
I am a former student at Cornerstone and I have to say that Cornerstone is lacking. Their middle school is falling apart and is getting worse by the years. Some of the teachers aren't qualified to teach certain subjects and it shows in the students scores. I had the worst grades in math in 8th grade I have ever had in all my schooling, but when I got out of that school and went somewhere else in 9th grade I am getting A's on pretty much everything. Also some the faculty are a bit rude and tend not to be the best even though parents complain about them to the president of the school they don't do anything about it. Also during lunch for the middle school they run out of food I remember once being unfortunate enough to be at the end of line and all they had were a small bag of chex mix. Chex mix, nothing else no water no sandwiches nothing and I went hungry that day. The school seems to have a greed for money now of days since it seems that they want to increase their tuition as high as my sisters who got to an elite private school and let me tell you Cornerstone isn't one bit elite since anyone can get in. -From A Student

Posted December 20, 2012
To put it in a nut shell, this school is great! My daughter has been at the school since Pre-K and she has had a wonderful experience to date. She is now in the 1st grade and she is performing on a 3rd grade level in reading. She is ahead of the curve in all subjects and all the other 1st graders that I know from other schools. In fact, my stepdaughter of the same age attends a so called foreign language emersion school and she can barely read and write...I am serious. Cornerstone has helped to shape my daughter into a wonderful well rounded and considerate child, with focus and promise. I am very please and I know she can hold her own with any child across the country. Please people dont forget, it is not only the shcool that is responsible for the shaping of our children, but we as parent are the first teachers, so when you say your child is not performing to your standards. Ask yourself, have I done my part?

Posted February 26, 2012
I am a student at Cornerstone's "new" leadership high school. The school so far is average, for my taste it's way too small but I love the internships that they provide for us. Right now we are in the basement -_- and we have had many problems it's ridiculous and it's unorganized. In my opinions the idea and vision for the high school was great but the way that it's headed now...no comment (it's that bad) but, the academic and the Christ centered aspects of the school is great.

Posted December 08, 2011
My daughter attended Cornerstone for PK and now Kindergarten. I am very pleased with her reading, math, Chinese and spelling skills. What I like about the school is that it challenges the children and parents to aim high. I say this because my daughter is excelling in areas where I initially thought, "this is a bit much" (e.g. book reports for pre-K). As a single professional mother, I really like the long and continuous school year (kids get approx 6 weeks off during summer) so it doesn't provide much room for kids to get off track. The Christian teachings are a plus. The students are considerate, boys open doors for parents and girls, and all of them have a respectful demeanor. The teachers are caring. I don't see that "cliquish" stuff either. The extra-curricular activities are awesome. If you are not a parent who likes to participate or volunteer time, this is not the school for your family because parent participation is heavy at Cornerstone and I believe that is a major factor in the students' success here.

Posted July 09, 2011
BEST SCHOOL EVER!! My child has excelled at this school! Teachers are caring, loving and committed. Children are challenged with two languages: Mandarin Chinese (Mrs. Tang) and Spanish (Ms. Golick)--wonderful teachers. Ms. Kathy Ferris is one of the best string teachers ever! Mr. Gardener (choir) puts on wonderful musicals! The Nevada campus is breathtaking! Mr. Raleigh, Ms. Messana and Ms. Cox are truly phenomenal. Curriculum is challenging and Spirit-filled....Jesus is the Way! This is one school where you can see the effects of praying administrators, students and parents. LOVE IT!! Extra-curricular includes Chess, Academic Games and of course, sports...American Girls club, Girl Scouts and other.

Cornerstone School--Nevada Primary 2

Posted June 02, 2011
My son has attend Cornerstone since K and is currently in the 5th grade. For the first 3 yrs Cornerstone was an excellent school with great parent involvement and care and concern from teachers. However, I can not say the same for the past 3 yrs. The teachers are not firm and lacks control over the classroom. Cornerstone "touches" on a lot of things but not focusing on "teaching" where kids will grasp and know how to do it again. For example math, what taught change on a daily basis. It becomes confusing to the child and the parents. Also, a terst will be given a week later after learning a new concept for one day and they expect the student to remember it. Cornerstone has gone down a lot to me! I also agree that they are all about the money.

Posted June 02, 2010
I am a proud parent of the Nevada Campus and my son has been attending Cornerstone for 2 years and has excelled well. I love the parent involvement that is shown at the school; the teachers involvement to make sure each child succeeds; the curriculum that is offered is outstanding. Each child participates in all core subjects in addition to learning two foreign languages at the same time, computers, art, music and christian values. There is a lot of male support with the fathers which I haven't seen in DPS schools or in other private schools my son has attended. I have to disagree with the reviews of previous parents when they speak about the scholarship information not being available or not being informed. I am not sure which Cornerstone they attend but at the Nevada Campus I have seen notices put on the windows and doors for parents. Excellent School.

Posted June 12, 2009
Unfortunately, i've been a parent at cornerstone school for 5 the school years, and in the beginning years this was an awesome school for students academically and a close family like environment. In the past 2 years i've seen this school decline in numerous ways. Cornerstone is now simply about the money and has lost focus of the children. Parents are not given scholarship information, in a timely manner. Some parents and teacher seem to single out certain students showing great differences in thier willingness to help others. This is not what I would expect from a school who prides themselves on being christain based. Cornerstone has become your average DPS, not worlth your money.

Cornerstone School--Nevada Primary
6861 East Nevada St, Detroit, MI  48234
Last modified Cornerstone School--Nevada Primary is a Private school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Cornerstone School--Nevada Primary Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top