Posted May 04, 2010
My son started at Benjamin Mays Male Academy at 4 years old. Now he is 6 years old and I truly see a significant difference in his behavior, character and knowledge. Thank you Dr. James C. Perkins for your vision for our young black men. I would like to say thank you to the faculty and supporting staff that are helping our boys turn into young men with a visions and dreams not deferred...

Benjamin E Mays Male Academy 0

Posted October 13, 2009
I appreciate the splendid opportunity of having Benjamin E. Mays Male Academy available for my son to attend. I am very satisfied with my son's progress overall. I can see a marked difference in his academic performance and behavior. Mays Academy has a good grasp of what it takes to educate 'young men' in general. Notwithstanding, our young black men are at a great advantage, attending Mays. As far as the overall program/curricula, I am satisfied with the content, the introduction level, and how the material is being presented. Also, the Christian values being taught, and the cultural exposure/experience is an added plus. Thank you Dr. James C. Perkins for your vision of seeing young black men...succeed. Thanks, to the faculty and staff at large as well.

Posted July 28, 2009
My parents and I have received a tremendous return on the investment in my education at Mays. I see my young cousins and my nephews who attend/ed Mays destined for similar paths of excellence. The best school or program I ve ever been a part of PERIOD. I love Mays and big ups to all of the MAYS MEN everywhere destined for greatness!

Posted July 23, 2009
My son is going on his 3rd year hear at Mayes. Oh my GOD, I can't believe how well he is doing. He love his classmates, teachers and adminstration. Thumbs up for me!

Posted May 02, 2009
This is our son's first year at Benjamin E. Mays Academy. We love it! He is getting a really good education and is nurtured by intelligent and caring African American males. The Christian environment and structure is just great! We have recommended the school to another family. This year has been the best school year our son has every had.

Posted April 30, 2008
Benjamin Mays Male Academy is the best school for young men that need aggressive academic challenge. Simply put, if your son is smart and you are tried of sending him to schools that are not, send him to Mays. Our son attended May Academy from the 2nd through the 6th grade. He was on the Honor Roll every quarter except one. We watched our son blossom into a young man that we are extremely proud of. His teachers were the best teachers we have worked with. They really understand how to connect with young African American males because they themselves are. Hats off to the Mays Family and all the Mays Men everywhere!

Benjamin E Mays Male Academy 0

Posted January 14, 2008
Where do I begin, in terms of the greatest this school provides for African American boys, especially 'single parents. My son started in the fall of 2007, and I have been very impressed with the quality of education he has received. The school does not have the 'bells & whistles', that most elementary schools have with respect to a playground and lunch room, but the school makes up for it, in that the teachers trully connect with the boys in such a way that they learn not only the basic subjects, but also dignity, self-respect and a strong sense of 'blackness' that is missing in our schools, public and private. For single parents, this school is a 'must' if you are raising a African -american boy in todays violent, media drive world.

Posted November 28, 2007
This is my son's first year at Mays and I am loving it. The teacher to student ratio is great. The structured environment is exactly what my son needed. The teachers are great and accessible. Although the school does not have recess, the exercise that the students receive in their gym class is dynamic. I spent an entire day at school with my son and I was truly impressed from morning formation to school dismissal. The only improvement that I would recommend is that the school should have a hot lunch program.

Benjamin E Mays Male Academy 3

Posted August 07, 2007
Our sons will not be returning to Mayes Male Academy due to the lack of consistency with policies and procedures. I do believe the teachers are well equipped to teach, but the method of teaching is quite militant and robotic. The buildings are very old and outdated, there is no playground or a cafeteria. With Tuition and after-care cost being very expensive per child at Mayes, we just cannot see were the monies are benefiting the 'Mayes Men'....ours won't be returning!

Benjamin E Mays Male Academy 4

Posted January 27, 2006
My husband and I like the quality of education the school provides, the principal this year is new, the teachers so far have been good. Our biggest concern is the school building, the school does not look lik a normal school, no cafeteria/gym. It is a elementary school so there should be a playground, no lockers. Our son is a 2nd grader, if they don't get a new building in the next year, then we will have to take our son elsewhere. We are just not happy with the current building at all. Thank you, Mrs. Williams

Benjamin E Mays Male Academy
3544 Iroquois, Detroit, MI  48214
Last modified Benjamin E Mays Male Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Benjamin E Mays Male Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top