Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=2985+e+jefferson+ave,detroit,mi+48207&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=dh3ke0pfimnhen6u40slnwzmkis=

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 5059561 2

Posted November 12, 2013
This is my daughter's last year at Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences. My son will be going into kindergarten in the 2014/2015 school year and he will not be attending that school. Some of the staff personalities are not appropriate for teaching children. I know some students can be hard to deal with, but how do you continue to allow a teacher who has put his hands on another student as if he's an adult to continue working there? The school is unorganized, some of the teachers doesn't seem to care about the students (they're just making a paycheck), and they've offered false promises all the years my daughter attended there.

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 3776755 2

Posted August 22, 2009
i attended this school for 6th grade snd it was not exactly horrible but it wasnt what i expected

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 2094865 1

Posted August 20, 2009
My child attended DAAS for the fourth grade. Everything he did was just a refresher of the third grade at his previous school. This school is so far behind it is unreal. These children are not going to be ready to compete on a local school let alone global. My son will be returning to his previous school and Sylvan to make up what was not learned in fourth grade at DAAS. For those who hold this school in high regards they must be comparing it to DPS. DAAS should not be an option for everyone. Oh and my son said he was given the answers to the MEAP.

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 3336064 1

Posted November 14, 2008
this school is the worst im an expelled student and the lunch prices were too much

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 3209129 0

Posted August 28, 2008
This is the most unorganized school I have ever seen. Their interview process is thrown together while you wait. Paperwork is lost and there is no communication. I feel bad for the kids because even though I spend hours with my planning I'm not sure the administration would know if I didn't

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 2659187 1

Posted November 01, 2007
Having taught at this school and having an inside perspective,DAAS is the most unorganized school I have ever taught at. Teacher turnover is incredibly high because teacher input is not respected by administration and teachers aren't given the materials to help students succeed. For example, not enough textbooks, copiers were always broken, floors were never once cleaned, no soap in the restrooms, minimal extracurricular activities, and the list goes on. Unfortunately, DAAS brings in wonderful, certified, enthusiastic teachers but these teachers cannot help students thrive in this environment. They are receiving a bad rap from parents and others because they are taking the blame for the lack of structure and organization at DAAS. As many parents have already stated, promises are often made but they rarely materialize. Administration is too concerned with the facade of looking like a great school instead of making it a great school.

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 2375970 1

Posted June 06, 2007
The school gives false promise to our families. When I changed my daughter to DAAS I thought I would have a new begining and I was giving her the oppourtuniy to have a great education, I was dead wrong. This school is so out of control, any parent would be better off sending their child to the local Detroit Public School. The children are learning below grade level and there is no structure. the staff is unsteady. My daughter has had five different Math teachers and none of them are sticking to a strict and structred lesson plan. My child has gone from an 3.4 average to a low 2.0 average. I made a big mistake dont experiment with your childs education.

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 1843568 5

Posted September 19, 2006

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 1603322 1

Posted May 01, 2006
The senior academy is severely lacking in structure, overall staff dedication, excellence and accountability. Administration is a comedy of errors and decisions are made in a vaccum. I do NOT recommend this school at all.

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School 1427381 2

Posted April 29, 2006
This is my second encounter with this school and I am greatly disappointed. Everything promised at orientation never materialized. I am removing my child and sending him to a Detroit Public school. He needs to receive an education, not trying to find out every day who his teacher is.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School
2985 E Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI  48207
Detroit Academy of Arts and Sciences Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 24 reviews.