Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My experience with Voyageur Academy & Consortium College Prep was very unpleasant for the 2013-2014 school year. Due to the lack of concern for the students by both teachers and staff I decided not to allow my daughter to return for the 2014-2015 school year. As I anxiously awaited the end of the school year, I received a call from the school. Mr. Atkins ( a really outstanding staff member who heads up enrollment for the school) requested my presence at a meeting with the new management team who would be replacing the 2013-2014 management group. After much consideration I decided to attend. During this meeting promises and commitments were made. The new regime shared with parents the new direction the school was headed. I decided to give the new regime a chance....it has been one of the best decisions I've made regarding my daughters education. Under the new regime, new programs were introduced to the school. WallStreet is a program for students who do not complete their homework assignments. Credit Recovery is another program designed to bridge the gap for students who were not achieving under the previous administration. The teachers are committed to the students 100 %. Gone are the days when the teachers beat the students leaving after school. Tutoring is offered after school for students who require extra support. Sport programs are increasing ( shout out to Mr. Lane, the track coach ). Most of the staff has been extremely helpful ( special accolades to Mr. Maxwell & Mr. Lenny). Each student is assigned to an advisory teacher. These teachers shadows students through high school and beyond ( Ms. O is an amazing advisor). This summer my daughter attended the U of M Electrify program in Ann Arbor while my niece attended classes with Ferris State University and is earning college credits. As a part of graduation requirements, CCP is one of only two schools in Detroit that REQUIRES seniors starting in the graduating class of 2016 to receive two acceptance letter from two different colleges. Graduating classes thereafter will also have to meet this requirement in addition to taking at least one Advance Placement course. I also enrolled my youngest daughter in Voyageur for kindergarten...and I'm equally as impressed! She's reading...actually reading ( Thank you Ms. McCarthy for a productive year). IT'S A NEW DAY AT VOYAGEUR ACADEMY & CONSORTIUM COLLEGE PREP!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

CCP'S teachers are very effective with the students. The teachers are available to the students after school for tutoring and extra support. My daughter's teachers were outstanding!!!!! Ms. Ling.....the computer teacher is so passionate about teaching. She spent endless hours teaching Xcel to the students. My daughter was concerned about taking physics but Ms. Helberg......an awesome teacher.....just made physics simple. Ms O was my daughter's advisory teacher, she pushed my daughter to complete the necessary requirements to get accepted into the U of M's Electrify program. The teachers at CCP are focused, professional, dedicated and driven.

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework assignments are given daily. My daughter was not overwhelmed with these assignments. Sometimes the homework assignments were challenging but her teachers always made themselves available to assist.

I do not recommend you to send your child or relative to this school. I currently attend CCPHS and since we've moved to a bigger building, our school has had a big turn around, academically, and when it comes to caring for the us students. There isn't any type of control within the classrooms or the school itself at all. There are more fights more than ever and teachers are coming in late as if they do not have a class to teach. There are teachers quitting left and right which leaves us students to either have substitute teacher or no teachers at that. The graduating percentage for this year is very very low.

My Son is a Senior who graduates this year and I am concerned whether or not this school has truly prepared him for college. When taking his entrance Math Exam for college, half the stuff on the test was never taught at Consortium. They present a great picture of how they are preparing kids for College, but the truth is all graduating Seniors of Consortium are worlds behind and might find college very challenging their first year. I regret putting my Son in this school and would advise other parents not to make the same mistake.

I am Consortium Alumni. I do not recommend anyone's child to attend this school. Although there are some very intelligent teachers there, the administration often hinders the full potential of teacher-student interaction and educational development due to awkward prioritizing. Then, they cut honors courses. The successful 'look' is more important than how the students are actually doing. My graduating class was only 97 and the average ACT score was 16. They made sure we all got accepted to a college but they did not make sure we were truly prepared, which is ironic. Now that I am in college I realized that i started off already behind!!!!!!! And its not just me, many other alumni agree.

This school is great because it is small and the teachers care about the students. The students receive more one on one than other schools. The graduation rate is high and also the college acceptance rate. The salutatorian was accepted to John Hopkins and received a full scholarship.

The school emphasizes standardised testing over critical thinking and creativity. The sum of my kid's education was a miscellany of worksheets, crossword puzzles, multiple-choice tests, and short essays where grammar was more important than content and style. There are no advanced courses, art classes. There is a dearth of extracurricular activities and sports as well (no football, soccer, baseball teams and track and field was cut). The high point of the school are dedicated teachers -- many of whom have, or are in the process of leaving. If you just want your kid to graduate from high school and nothing more, enroll him or her in CCPHS. But if he or she has post-graduate aspirations, enjoys learning or learns best under a challenging, engaging environment look elsewhere.

I think parents need to realize that this is a charter school. While it is not perfect it does offer the safe environment and teachers who care. If you want an Art class and that is what is important, go to the YMCA or sign your student up through the community programs offered in every city. We use to have an Art Club but it was cancelled due to lack of participation and support.

I must admit I am highly disappointed with putting my Son in Consortium. They do not offer an Art Class other than performing arts, sports program is very limited. I have tried on several occassisions to speak with Mr. Atkins the principal, but it is obvious He feels his time is better spent trying to service the middle school (Voyager) than the children at the high school level. I am making every attempt to remove my son after his 2nd year of school.

Last modified Voyageur Consortium High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.