Public charter
Detroit, MI

Voyageur Consortium High School 5

Posted August 07, 2015
My experience with Voyageur Academy & Consortium College Prep was very unpleasant for the 2013-2014 school year. Due to the lack of concern for the students by both teachers and staff I decided not to allow my daughter to return for the 2014-2015 school year. As I anxiously awaited the end of the school year, I received a call from the school. Mr. Atkins ( a really outstanding staff member who heads up enrollment for the school) requested my presence at a meeting with the new management team who would be replacing the 2013-2014 management group. After much consideration I decided to attend. During this meeting promises and commitments were made. The new regime shared with parents the new direction the school was headed. I decided to give the new regime a chance....it has been one of the best decisions I've made regarding my daughters education. Under the new regime, new programs were introduced to the school. WallStreet is a program for students who do not complete their homework assignments. Credit Recovery is another program designed to bridge the gap for students who were not achieving under the previous administration. The teachers are committed to the students 100 %. Gone are the days when the teachers beat the students leaving after school. Tutoring is offered after school for students who require extra support. Sport programs are increasing ( shout out to Mr. Lane, the track coach ). Most of the staff has been extremely helpful ( special accolades to Mr. Maxwell & Mr. Lenny). Each student is assigned to an advisory teacher. These teachers shadows students through high school and beyond ( Ms. O is an amazing advisor). This summer my daughter attended the U of M Electrify program in Ann Arbor while my niece attended classes with Ferris State University and is earning college credits. As a part of graduation requirements, CCP is one of only two schools in Detroit that REQUIRES seniors starting in the graduating class of 2016 to receive two acceptance letter from two different colleges. Graduating classes thereafter will also have to meet this requirement in addition to taking at least one Advance Placement course. I also enrolled my youngest daughter in Voyageur for kindergarten...and I'm equally as impressed! She's reading...actually reading ( Thank you Ms. McCarthy for a productive year). IT'S A NEW DAY AT VOYAGEUR ACADEMY & CONSORTIUM COLLEGE PREP!!

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted August 07, 2015
I strongly agree that VA & CCP develops persistence, grit and determination in their students. The teachers and some staff members challenge and stretch the students while being supportive and encouraging. As a result my daughter participated in the U of M Electrify program this summer, she has tested very well on the practice ACT test, she was placed in honor's classes. I have noticed the change in my daughter since attending CCP......she no longer gives up when her homework is challenging, instead she does research online, contacts her teacher or a classmate. For the 2014/2015 school year....every semester she strived to increase her GPA. Last week she pulled out her notebooks and worksheets and studied...... IT'S SUMMER VACATION!!!!!!!!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 07, 2015
CCP'S teachers are very effective with the students. The teachers are available to the students after school for tutoring and extra support. My daughter's teachers were outstanding!!!!! Ms. Ling.....the computer teacher is so passionate about teaching. She spent endless hours teaching Xcel to the students. My daughter was concerned about taking physics but Ms. Helberg......an awesome teacher.....just made physics simple. Ms O was my daughter's advisory teacher, she pushed my daughter to complete the necessary requirements to get accepted into the U of M's Electrify program. The teachers at CCP are focused, professional, dedicated and driven.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 07, 2015
Homework assignments are given daily. My daughter was not overwhelmed with these assignments. Sometimes the homework assignments were challenging but her teachers always made themselves available to assist.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted August 03, 2015
I can't honestly say CCP develops compassion, caring and empathy. My daughters developed these characteristics prior to attending school.

Develops respect: Neutral

Posted August 03, 2015
My daughters developed respect for others at home but the school does enforce respect for others.

Voyageur Consortium High School 2

Posted March 29, 2014
I do not recommend you to send your child or relative to this school. I currently attend CCPHS and since we've moved to a bigger building, our school has had a big turn around, academically, and when it comes to caring for the us students. There isn't any type of control within the classrooms or the school itself at all. There are more fights more than ever and teachers are coming in late as if they do not have a class to teach. There are teachers quitting left and right which leaves us students to either have substitute teacher or no teachers at that. The graduating percentage for this year is very very low.

Posted March 26, 2010
My Son is a Senior who graduates this year and I am concerned whether or not this school has truly prepared him for college. When taking his entrance Math Exam for college, half the stuff on the test was never taught at Consortium. They present a great picture of how they are preparing kids for College, but the truth is all graduating Seniors of Consortium are worlds behind and might find college very challenging their first year. I regret putting my Son in this school and would advise other parents not to make the same mistake.

Posted September 21, 2009
I am Consortium Alumni. I do not recommend anyone's child to attend this school. Although there are some very intelligent teachers there, the administration often hinders the full potential of teacher-student interaction and educational development due to awkward prioritizing. Then, they cut honors courses. The successful 'look' is more important than how the students are actually doing. My graduating class was only 97 and the average ACT score was 16. They made sure we all got accepted to a college but they did not make sure we were truly prepared, which is ironic. Now that I am in college I realized that i started off already behind!!!!!!! And its not just me, many other alumni agree.

Posted October 06, 2008
This school is great because it is small and the teachers care about the students. The students receive more one on one than other schools. The graduation rate is high and also the college acceptance rate. The salutatorian was accepted to John Hopkins and received a full scholarship.

4366 Military Street, Detroit, MI  48210
Last modified Voyageur Consortium High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Voyageur Consortium High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top