Posted March 11, 2011
Absolutely LOVE this school when it was Dow Elem to the movement into the new bldg Charles Wright. Both my kids attended this school. The staff, teachers and principal were great. I loved how the principal Mrs. Sylvia Green took time in the morning & afternoon to assist with students entering & being dismissed from the building. She built relationships with her parents & didnt think she was too good to stand out in the cold like all the other staff. CWA had more parents than I had ever seen coming out to PTA mtgs. I found that the parents that took time to get to know their child's teachers, volunteered at the school when possible & interacted were much happier with the schoo & its curriculum. The complaint parents were the ones that never took time to come up to the school to see how their child was progressing or attend any meetings, parent/teacher conferences, etc. I loved the teaching staff, monthly programs, the principal interaction, etc. I did not like how only a select few of parents would have the courage to assist with unruly students during dismissal while most stood around and watched. It takes a village to raise a child. CWA had a standard that made the school great.

Posted March 11, 2011
Although my children no longer attend this school I miss it. The school they attend now doesn't compare to Charles Wright. Charles Wright is a jewel in the DPS. I am sad Ms. Green is no longer principal but I met the new principal Mrs. Davis and I think she has big shoes to fill in Ms. Green's place. I thought the PTG was good with raising money for the school, getting parents involved and informing parents. The president Ms. Crowler was nice and she seemed to know everybody including the kids. I really enjoyed the time my children spent at Charles Wright. The MEAP scores were high, they met AYP and received Apple awards and a Skillman grant for being a great school. There were members of the DPS board coming out to support the school which was nice. They put on a nice program even 5th grade graduation was like being at a college ceremony. They really made the kids feel special. I enjoyed the picnics, lunch with the principal, the mentor program, chess program, etc. I miss Charles Wright and I hear with all the school closings Ms. Green retirement that the school standard has dropped. I guess change came with a new principal. Wish Mrs. Davis a good year and I hope she does well.

Wright Charles School 4

Posted February 01, 2011
My daughter, (second grader at Charles Wright-1st year) enjoys school. She made me promise she could stay until she completes all grades. Principal Davis is open to improving the educational environment; she listens to parents &makes every effort to do what s best. Of course, not all parents feel this way, but no one can be all things. Parent conferences are well attended; is that not GREAT! This school is a DPS gem. It ranked in the top 5 (Excellent Schools Detroit) and scored 6 (Great Schools); test scores-WOW! I believe they scored 6 because of the limited afterschool programming; we re working on that. PTG/Educators are increasing parental involvement, starting a fitness class; some teachers stay to participate we are slowly increasing involvement. Parents often don t have a gauge as to teacher s abilities -the homework, I get it. My child has the confidence to do it on her own &I check it (she gets it too). Obviously, her teacher (Ms. Potapeko) teaches. The packages challenge her &I enjoy watching her use the robust words, like procrastination-big words for 2nd graders. The goal is for them to understand how to use the words. Keep up the good work Wright Educators!

Posted December 17, 2010
My son is in one of the autism classes at Charles Wright. He has attended this school since 1st grade. Now he is in the 3rd grade. He has made tremendous strides under the direction of his teacher, Ms. Suzanne Erbes and teacher aide, Mrs Kimber-Rose. My son loves going to school and I don't know what I would do without them working with my son the way that they do. Charles Wright is an awesome school and I recommend it to anyone that needs a school and staff that truly care about the well being of your child(ren). Charles Wright is filled with staff that do not just care for the children because it is their job but because they truly care about the them.

Posted November 26, 2009
My child is in the Pre-K program and I love, he teacher is wonderful and I can see how he good he is doing with expanding his ideas and he growth.

Posted December 13, 2008
My child attened this school from second to fifth grade in special ed and I loved this school. My son is a handful and they dealt with excellently. I recommend this school to parents all of the time, I wish it went to eighth grade, I would send him back there.

Posted November 06, 2008
I submitted a review on Sept 8th about my son's 2nd week at Charles H. Wright. While I love my son's teacher (Ms. Traylor), the progress that he's making and the level of the class material; I have to admit that the discipline of the children before school leave little to be desired. I do my part to try to keep children in line, break up fights, help children that seem to be in distress but I get little support from the other parents standing around. Because this school is named after a prestigious gentleman that was an upstanding Dr. and Detroit citizen, my feeling is that the school needs to embody this man's legacy. I don't feel this is occuring. There are little boys that look like and carry themselves like little bullies. Pants sagging and oversized, foul language and lack of respect for adults. Jennifer Floyd

Posted September 01, 2008
I feel charles wrigt is a great school for my son and will be next year for my daugter

Wright Charles School 3

Posted April 08, 2008
I personally think in which this is my opinion Charles H. Wright could be better. I really think it depends on what teacher your child has. Sometimes I have to wonder if the teachers really care and do they take out the time to make sure that the students understand their assignments. I don't really care for the repeated journal homework. There should be other assignments such as math ect. for students to do inside the journal. I never recieve any graded classroom assignments until parent teacher conference. So I have no way of seeing the actual assignments my child has done in the classroom. All I see is a few work sheets, maybe math and the weekly journal. They do have the children participate in wonderful programs and plays. The after school tutoring program is ok it helps a little. With this being said, Charles H. Wright could be better.

Wright Charles School 4

Posted November 14, 2007
This is a very good school with consistent above average MEAP scores. The after school component needs to be better. Overall I think that this a nice school. In terms of the homework, many teachers do assign lots of meaningful homework with only about a twenty five percent return rate making it difficult to determine if the homework is even valued.

Contact Information

19299 Berg Rd
Detroit, MI 48219

School website

Wright Charles School
19299 Berg Rd, Detroit, MI  48219
Last modified Wright Charles School is a public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wright Charles School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews.