Bad
Good

I did a lot of research looking for a good Kindergarten program (in Detroit) to place my son in and found that Wright rated very high across the board. I definitely see improvement in my son's knowledge and I have no issues with the school at all. My one complaint is that they do not take advantage of their drop-off curve and so what happens is parents use the small parking lot to drop off their children and this blocks other parents in, this however, is not the schools fault. All in all, it has been a pretty good experience for my son and he will be returning next year for 1st grade.

If I could give this school lower than one star I would. there is only one word that describe this school and staff, UNPROFESSIONAL. I noticed most of the reviews are old, this is my son first school experience and with this help of this school staff my kid now hates school. They call every one but the parent first when something is "wrong" they were under staffed but failed to make me aware of that so a computer teacher was teaching a kindergarten class, who had no patience. Seems like they give kids work without actually trying to help them understand it. The assist in the front office is rude, I was lied to about important information, and wasn't giving the correct info until I called the district. Needless to say my son will not be attending next year, I wish I could switch him now. Now I understand why my mom worked so hard for us to not attend Detroit public schools. my kids will never be in this district again. These teachers are clearly only here for a check.

Absolutely LOVE this school when it was Dow Elem to the movement into the new bldg Charles Wright. Both my kids attended this school. The staff, teachers and principal were great. I loved how the principal Mrs. Sylvia Green took time in the morning & afternoon to assist with students entering & being dismissed from the building. She built relationships with her parents & didnt think she was too good to stand out in the cold like all the other staff. CWA had more parents than I had ever seen coming out to PTA mtgs. I found that the parents that took time to get to know their child's teachers, volunteered at the school when possible & interacted were much happier with the schoo & its curriculum. The complaint parents were the ones that never took time to come up to the school to see how their child was progressing or attend any meetings, parent/teacher conferences, etc. I loved the teaching staff, monthly programs, the principal interaction, etc. I did not like how only a select few of parents would have the courage to assist with unruly students during dismissal while most stood around and watched. It takes a village to raise a child. CWA had a standard that made the school great.

Although my children no longer attend this school I miss it. The school they attend now doesn't compare to Charles Wright. Charles Wright is a jewel in the DPS. I am sad Ms. Green is no longer principal but I met the new principal Mrs. Davis and I think she has big shoes to fill in Ms. Green's place. I thought the PTG was good with raising money for the school, getting parents involved and informing parents. The president Ms. Crowler was nice and she seemed to know everybody including the kids. I really enjoyed the time my children spent at Charles Wright. The MEAP scores were high, they met AYP and received Apple awards and a Skillman grant for being a great school. There were members of the DPS board coming out to support the school which was nice. They put on a nice program even 5th grade graduation was like being at a college ceremony. They really made the kids feel special. I enjoyed the picnics, lunch with the principal, the mentor program, chess program, etc. I miss Charles Wright and I hear with all the school closings Ms. Green retirement that the school standard has dropped. I guess change came with a new principal. Wish Mrs. Davis a good year and I hope she does well.

My daughter, (second grader at Charles Wright-1st year) enjoys school. She made me promise she could stay until she completes all grades. Principal Davis is open to improving the educational environment; she listens to parents &makes every effort to do what s best. Of course, not all parents feel this way, but no one can be all things. Parent conferences are well attended; is that not GREAT! This school is a DPS gem. It ranked in the top 5 (Excellent Schools Detroit) and scored 6 (Great Schools); test scores-WOW! I believe they scored 6 because of the limited afterschool programming; we re working on that. PTG/Educators are increasing parental involvement, starting a fitness class; some teachers stay to participate we are slowly increasing involvement. Parents often don t have a gauge as to teacher s abilities -the homework, I get it. My child has the confidence to do it on her own &I check it (she gets it too). Obviously, her teacher (Ms. Potapeko) teaches. The packages challenge her &I enjoy watching her use the robust words, like procrastination-big words for 2nd graders. The goal is for them to understand how to use the words. Keep up the good work Wright Educators!

My son is in one of the autism classes at Charles Wright. He has attended this school since 1st grade. Now he is in the 3rd grade. He has made tremendous strides under the direction of his teacher, Ms. Suzanne Erbes and teacher aide, Mrs Kimber-Rose. My son loves going to school and I don't know what I would do without them working with my son the way that they do. Charles Wright is an awesome school and I recommend it to anyone that needs a school and staff that truly care about the well being of your child(ren). Charles Wright is filled with staff that do not just care for the children because it is their job but because they truly care about the them.

My child is in the Pre-K program and I love, he teacher is wonderful and I can see how he good he is doing with expanding his ideas and he growth.

My child attened this school from second to fifth grade in special ed and I loved this school. My son is a handful and they dealt with excellently. I recommend this school to parents all of the time, I wish it went to eighth grade, I would send him back there.

I submitted a review on Sept 8th about my son's 2nd week at Charles H. Wright. While I love my son's teacher (Ms. Traylor), the progress that he's making and the level of the class material; I have to admit that the discipline of the children before school leave little to be desired. I do my part to try to keep children in line, break up fights, help children that seem to be in distress but I get little support from the other parents standing around. Because this school is named after a prestigious gentleman that was an upstanding Dr. and Detroit citizen, my feeling is that the school needs to embody this man's legacy. I don't feel this is occuring. There are little boys that look like and carry themselves like little bullies. Pants sagging and oversized, foul language and lack of respect for adults. Jennifer Floyd

I feel charles wrigt is a great school for my son and will be next year for my daugter

Last modified Wright Charles School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.