Posted May 07, 2014
This school is terrible, to say the least ! They say that they have a zero tolerance policy, but my son is being bullied everyday they think if they did't see it it didn't happen , also he was assaulted twice and there was nothing done about it just excuses ! The teachers seem unexperienced and unable to deal with problems properly . If your child is being distracted by other students he is isolated from his piers, instead of addressing the problem. The Principal is dismissive a know it all and will not listen to reason, instead she believes that her staff is perfect and cannot make mistakes. If I read these review's I wouldn't have enrolled my son in this less than mediocre "school", and I use that term loosely !

Posted April 11, 2014
Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts is an AMAZING school. The culture is vibrant, exciting and fun. The building is clean, safe, student centered and encouraging. The staff are passionate, knowledgeable and hard working. The Principal is - WOW!! Totally committed to student achievement. It doesn't matter if students see the Principal 5 times in a day, they light up knowing that she loves and cares for them. Even our parents, they are supportive and always present. I am glad to be a part of the WAPA family, we are turning our school around and we wont stop until all of our children are succeeding.

Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem. 4

Posted August 23, 2013
The administrators and teachers are very professional yet personal with students and parents. The receptionist and secretaries are efficient and friendly. You can trust that your child will be safe and educated.

Posted August 22, 2013
Terrrrrrible! The teachers are lazy and messy! Students are lost are wayyyy behind grade level. The administration are incompetent and not being challenged to do their jobs. Please, I beg you, DO NOT send you children here.

Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem. 3

Posted July 06, 2013
I wouldn't say that this school is as terrible as some of the parents are making it to seem. My children have been attending this school for a few years now and when they first entered after leaving DPS, they were very far behind. One of my children will be entering the 12th grade this year and she has earned a full academic scholarship to attend U of M once she graduates. Another one of my daughters is entering the 3rd grade and she is reading at a 6th grade level. The staff works with your children to try to give them the best education that is possible. Like any other school, they have their issues but they are not as bad as the reviews listed here are. I would like to encourage more parents that are pleased to review the school also. The parents of other students is who I tend to have a problem with. they are not teaching their children nothing but ignorance when they act the way they do and that attitude reflects on the school. The school also offers drama, dance, orchestra, computer, Spanish, and many other classes that you can not find anywhere around. Stop in and check out the school for yourself before judging it prematurely.

Posted January 03, 2013
I would strongly suggest before enrolling your child here, confirming how the school handles incidents of bullying and student violence. My daughter was severely injured by another student because the schools administration considered the other student displayed "leadership skills." Even after the final attack on my daughter the only reason the school removed the bully from the classroom was because I filed a police report. There are safer environments for your children PLEASE DON'T RISK it. The damage far out weighs the benefits of this school.

Posted April 16, 2012
I am so pleased with this school. My daughter is in kindergarten but she reads at a 2nd grade level and school ends in 2 more months. Ms. Jiang is a wonderful teacher she has high expectations for her students. She is the type of teacher that really love her job. She even helps the students to extend their vocabulary. My daughter has devel oped so much. academically as well as socially. I recommend that all parents enroll the children here.

Posted April 04, 2012
I enrolled my daughter here in lieu of paying tuition for her to return to Cornerstone. She has fallen behind her peers in other 2nd grade classrooms at other schools. She virtually going to school everyday to have a babysitter. I am now reapplying to Cornerstone and paying to send her to Kuman learning centers. A second grade class should do more than color. They should be practicing reading, using dictionaries, doing math work, etc. I am angry with myself for placing her here against my better judgment. I would not send my dog to this school.

Posted August 25, 2010
The Winans Academy is a wonderful school. My child can from a charter kindergarten in southfield and when we got to winans she was so behind. Mrs eggleston did a good job in partner with myself to get her caught up. We are moving to the opposite side of town and will not have any transportation so we have to take her out. I really wish they offered trnsportation.

Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem. 4

Posted July 13, 2010
I have two daughters who were recently promoted from 5th and 8th grade. I really appreciated the Teachers and other Staff at the school.... And to me it's not enough parent involvement, at PTO meetings especially! Parents need to be involved instead of always complaining. The curriculum was quite challenging at times but, that's life. I truly love Winans Academy. I have watched the school improve in so many areas in the last 9 years and I will continue to support the vision of my Pastor and Chancellor.

Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem.
9740 Mckinney St, Detroit, MI  48224
Last modified Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem. is a Charter school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marvin L. Winans Academy of Performing Arts Elem. Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews.