Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

The teachers and administrators talks to the children any kind of way. As far as the education aspect it's excellent, but the way the children are spoken to is down right disturbing. This behavior has happened on numerous occasions while I was visiting the school. Awful school.

My child went to school. The only reason I took her out was due to moving. The principal is very good and understands very well what is needed. She needs more parent and I did not see that much. When there were meetings monthly, Coffee with the Principal, which discuss different issues and concerns from both Mrs. Bell and the parents, alot was solved. If you dont support Parent Teacher Committees, dont expect to get any results from issue you may have, because it takes a village to raise a child! Period.

This is a horrible school. The principal does not have any understanding of what she is doing or age appropriate content. She is unprofessional. This school is about as closest thing to a jail a child could experience.

My son currently attends FCA n he will not be attending next year 2012-2013. I think his teacher(s), staff, and the challenging curriculum is GREAT but the many drawbacks that my husband I decided not for him to return are: 1) The school does not offer latchkey, 2) there are no afterschool activities for elementary students..when the original website indicated that they provided many activities but when I asked I was told that FCA only concentrates on academics now ???, 3) my son eats his lunch in his classroom daily and not in a lunchroom, 4) MOST of the kids are unruly and disrespectful DAILY because of lack of supervision afterschool, 5) my son is not allowed to celebrate his birthday at school, and 6) he has not went on one field trip, participated in a science fair, dances. or etc. In my opinion to make sure a child is well rounded a school needs to provide more than academics it should also include team sports, art, drama, karate, cub/boy/girl scouts, and choir.

My son currently attends Flagship as a 1st grader but he will not be returning for the 2012-2013 school year. I will give his teacher(s), staff, and the curriculum two thumbs up but I have to give the school overall a minimal rating because 1) the kids are very unruly and displays dispresctful behavior DAILY, 2) my son eats lunch in his classroom, 3) there are no afterschool activities as previously posted on their website when I applied, 4) the school does not offer latchkey, 5) there are no science fairs, field trips, dances for the kids, and 6) the students are not able to celebrate their birthdays in their classes. As stated to me that all NHA schools only concentrates on academics which is not productive to kids because in my opinion elementary students needs other activities (team sports, drama, art, karate, cub scouts, and etc..) to become a well rounded student and child.

As a former teacher at this school, I can say, I would never send my child to a NHA school. The quality of education is completely subpar to a public education, even DPS. Administration has little classroom experience (can you imagine the last time you had a principal in their late twenties or thirties), most of which do not even have highly qualified status (as per NCLB). Educators are trained to re-program students into robots, in literal "factory style fashion." Focus is placed on how the building looks and not how it is run. I have sat in on staff meetings where the administration has belittled and used vulgar language directed to the staff. There is no constructive criticism or praise of any kind. Students are expected to act as machines. Their day is comprised entirely of routine. They don't learn the social skills or problem-solving abilities necessary to transition into adulthood. Children eat in the classroom and recess is restricted to second-grade and below. I have sat in on Professional Developments that actually used a "profit chain" when comparing test scores. NHA is a company that profits by pocketing teacher salaries and student resources.

I would be cautious about this school if you are applying as a teacher or sending your child. It is not developmentally appropriate for the lower grades. There is a very high turnover of teachers each year. They have not asked some great teachers back. Detroit wants highly qualitfied teachers, but then when they get qualified teachers they say you don't fit with our philosophy. The principal does not realize what she has lost in many staff members and as stated by one student, she is loosing great students by the sounds of it!

flagship charter academy is the most disrespectfull school i have ever attened .its fulll of nothing but drama. and hatred.u will get suspended just for chewing gumand for not having your blazer or tie on for the upper grades. some teachers there care and others just there for the paycheck.the princepal never in her office and the assistant principal got her head on her shoulders to much so i recommend that you dont ever send youre child here unless your ready to deal with alot of D-R-A-M-A

I went there since it opened and They want you to suceed I won't forget anyone from that school.

Last modified Flagship Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.