Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=5100+john+r+st,detroit,mi+48202&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=es2lhph3zu0-xd5faofvuc2q8ge=

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 5380525 5

Posted December 09, 2013
We are very excited at UPSM MS! I have just received a grant for an eighth grade science class project! Thanks to the Square One Company, we will be able to purchase I pads for each lab team along with weather monitoring equipment. The eighth grade will participate in a national climate and weather monitoring project using this equipment.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 2072704 5

Posted December 08, 2013
Ms. Lane has so much passion & Love within her Advisory class, she is such an awesome teacher to have & I very much appreciate in her taking the time by being such a caring an rewarding to my daughter by keeping her from the wrong peel-pressure. My child loves having Ms. Lane as her Advisory class. And UPSM does really have an Anti Bullying Program involves within their school and also a great after-program which is SWAG also associate with UPSM & UPA Students to teach them about GANG Awareness & also Anit-Bullying it's a really great program. My daughter was involved within the SWAG summer camp, 2013 and had looking forward of going back.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 5377500 1

Posted December 06, 2013
UPSM MS is not a good enviornment for my child. Her social studues teachet, Mrs.Lane she dosent challenge her enough. She tells her teacher that her class is not a challenge for her and Mrs.Lane refuses to listen but instead she blames it on her. Personaly i think that she should be replaced. Their bullying issue is not being resolved. I am taking my daughter out of there immediately.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 5129778 5

Posted May 10, 2013
UPSM MS is great! My daughter is a happy student there. She has nurturing teachers who really care about her. The advisory classes schedule outing and activities for the students to bond with other students and their teachers. The ongoing assessment helps me as a parent because I am able to measure her growth throughout the year. The STEM curriculum is preparing her for the future. The principal, Mrs. Spencer is very approachable and relates well to parents. She has strong leadership skills and has a proven track record of moving students academically in the right direction. The teachers and staff respect her. The PTSA is very active in supporting Mrs. Spencer, the teacher and the staff. I am very happy my child attends the #1 Charter Middle School in the state!

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 4957058 1

Posted October 23, 2012
My daughter attends this school and will be leaving asap. Academically it's not challenging enough. Bullying is not taken seriously by the principal or her staff they are a complete joke. I would not recommend this school to anyone who is serious about their childs education and safety.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 4330549 4

Posted May 14, 2012
This is my son's first year at UPSM and the experience has been very positive. He is involved and engaged in the learning process and has been able to grow socially as well. His classes could be more challenging and I wish they had AP classes. The standards could be set higher for a science and math centered school. This might weed out some of the more disruptive students.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 4399200 4

Posted April 30, 2012
My son has attended UPSM for 4 years. His primary years were at a Christian Academy. I have to admit I have some issues with the school and there are disciplinary issues. However, I talk to the teachers when there is a problem, When students see their parents disrespect the teachers, the student mirrors the parents behavior. As a result you have problems. Again. it is the parents that need to step up and become more involved. Also compared to other middle schools, UPSM is the metro Detroit area UPSM is your best choice. I have family in the school systems in metro detroit, and when I hear their stories, I am happy my son is at UPSM even with their issues. ALL SCHOOLS WILL HAVE SOME PROBLEM THE KEY IS HOW DO YOU AS A PARENT GET INVOLVED. I feel the school has a great academic program, IF your child comes TO SCHOOL TO LEARN,. I check powers school weekly, I communicate with the teachers, I MAKE SURE MY SON COMES TO SCHOOL IN UNIFORM and ready to learn. My so was accepted at U of D Jesuit, Rennaisance, UNiversity High & DeLasalle. If you are a involved parent looking for a middle school with a good academic foundation, I would highly recommend UPSM

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 1922263 4

Posted October 20, 2011
My son attended UPSM three years. Grade 6 thru 8. The school has many positive characterics. If the main object for your child is an environment with strong academics, exposure to many opportunities and small class size this is an excellent environment. I agree the school attracts undesirable students that have left the public school. It is unfortunate that going into its 4th year UPSM has not mastered the student discipline issues. I believe the percent of aggressive, disruptive students is low compared to the number of focused, positive students. The teachers hands are tied. Bullying/inaction to violence concerns should be addressed to the UPSM monthly board members for serious action. I experienced three years at UPSM. I was a very involved parent and would send my son to this school again. It is far from perfect but unfortunately with the closing of so many Detroit schools school enrollment is in turmoil. Good luck.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 4660055 1

Posted October 19, 2011
Please do not send your kids to this school. Most of the kids are from the east side of Detroit and they are disrespectful, have major behavior problems, confrontational, and her a menace to the school environment. The teachers act like they are afraid of the bad students and allow them to disrupt the classrooms. Bullying is allowed due to again the teachers being afraid of confronting the bad students which allows for an unbearable learning environment. My son goes to school there and his witness four fights in his classroom and countless outburst and threatening situations with other students. If you are serious about your children's education, do not send them to this school. Yes they offer strong academic classes but what difference does it make if the bad kids out weigh the good and prevents those who want to learn from learning. This school is no better then the Detroit Public Schools and thats a tragedy.

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School 4140305 0

Posted April 20, 2010
UPA is an excellant school 99% of the student go on to college after attending UPASM

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School
5100 John R St, Detroit, MI  48202
University Preparatory Science and Math (PSAD) Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 10 reviews.