Public charter
Detroit, MI
After care: No

Posted March 17, 2015
brings tears to my eyes. ms dugar made my kids want to go school for the first time in their lives and ms ahn was strict but held the school together and LISTENED to parents. there is been no parent workshop this year. i hear the good teachers are all leaving. seems like nobody know what they is doing around there anymore. sad to see something so good go to waste.

Posted January 29, 2015
Disappointed overall in the school as a parent. I have never witnessed so much confusion and chaos in a school. There is a lack of leadership. I would not reccomend this school; I removed my child and I have no regrets!

Posted September 04, 2014
Very disappointed to hear that the high school principal ms Dugar and ms Ahn are no longer there. They have replaced them with principals I don't trust. I participated in the principal interviews and the parents all said we disliked the people they hired. They didn't listen to us. I have pulled my kids out of this school

University YES Academy 5

Posted April 15, 2014
UNIVERSITY YES ACADEMY IS AN EXCELLENT SCHOOL THE TEACHERS WORK THERE HARDEST TO GET THE CHILDREN TO COLLEGE.THEY GIVE THE SCHOLARS THE ALL EVEN THOUGH SOME OF THE SCHOLARS REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND OR TO SIT AND THINK ABOUT THAT THEY TRY THERE BEST AND WORK THERE HARDEST TO PASS EVERYONE.THE TEACHERS/STAFF/DEANS/PRINCIPAL SET GOOD EXAMPLES FOR THE SCHOLARS. THEY WANT ALL OF THE UNIVERSITY YES ACADEMY SCHOLARS TO BE LEADERS. IF ANY OF THE UYA STUDENTS ARE BEING MISTREATED THEY WOULD PUT A STOP TO IT REALLY QUICK UNIVERSITY YES ACADEMY IS A GREAT SCHOOL. {I KNOW BECAUSE I ATTEND THIS SCHOOL} ITS AWESOME. -6 GRADER-

University YES Academy 4

Posted September 25, 2013
University YES Academy is doing great things with the kids at hand. They try their best to teach the kids what parents lack teaching their own children such as how to speak properly how to have respect for adults and your peers, how to look presentable, etc. This is a tough task when the parents do not contribute with teaching the children the same things. UYA is a GREAT school. What more could you ask for? They offer all types of educational and enrichment such such as access to teachers, principal, etc . whomever-you name it. They have tutoring during lunch, after school, over the phone, somewhere else. What more can you ask for...that really will make a difference with getting our scholars on the right track, not just to college, but in life? If the parents would start teaching their children how to behave, speak, etc. then the teachers would not have to work so hard. They are very hardworking and they don't back down. They have a passion for the children and it shows in their steadfast ways.

University YES Academy 3

Posted August 13, 2013
I have read some of the recent comments about University YES Academy. I am disappointed in reading some of the comment that parents have left. Some have mentioned that children are treated poorly by teachers because of "talking in line, chewing gum, disrupting the classroom setting, and various other things that are not allowed in a learning environment. It was also mentioned that teachers were unable to control the students. What do they think that the teachers and staff are suppose to do with these students who consistently disrupt the classroom? Send them home? I have taught children myself in a classroom setting. If each child went to class and completed their assignments and obeyed the teacher's rules then their day would go a lot more smoothly. Parenting begins at home. Children are going to school and act the same way that they are allowed to act at home. This is a school that has tried to improve the chances of these children entering a four year college. Think about that! Are you helping them prepare for college or giving children the impression that they can do whatever they want. If they were in college, this type of behavior would not be accepted!

Posted August 09, 2013
Enrolling my child in this school was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. My child's grades dropped tremendously (no one cared). She was harassed by teachers, the administration was very rude. the children were graded on how well they treated the teachers ( via professional points). They called me all the time for minor things regarding behavior ( talking in line, chewing gum, shirt not tucked in, no belt, child asked subject related question without raising hand, etc) But not one call informing me that my child's grades were declining. There Power School grading system was never updated, report card grades did not match what I saw in Power school grading system. Many of days my child was scared to go to school because teachers had no control over students. Please don't make the same mistake I made.

University YES Academy 5

Posted August 02, 2013
This school is doing great things for the community, and is rated one of the top charter schools in Detroit. From personal experience, they appear to be there for the children, which is the main point, and really work with the community.

Posted June 03, 2013
University Yes Academy is a joke, they are suppose to be a college bond school. They have unruly kids if they have gym and the class gets in trouble the cant change their clothes for gym for how ever long they say. The Dean of Students and the teachers are a joke, they call you for stupid things like your child was talking in the line during transition,or our child broke the line, they were chewing on their finger during class. But when it comes to serious things they wont or don't call you in a timely fashion. The teachers have know about some of the students not liking each other and can hear them talking about fighting and does nothing about it until they fight and have the parents come in and come to find out it could have been prevented if the teacher would have taken the right measures. Don't let the allegations be of a serious nature you wont get it handle and then when you try to talk to the Dean Of Students she cant talk and they wont let you go over her head to try to protect them when they are wrong. They put on a really good front but if you are a parent that truly cares about the school your child attends then UNIVERSITY YES IS A UNIVERSITY NO!!!!!

University YES Academy 4

Posted November 03, 2012
i go to this school i am in 8th grade this is a real good scool that give kids a 4 year sholarship to any university thay want.I say this is the best school i went to.

University YES Academy