Durand, MI

Durand Area High School 3

Posted April 15, 2014
Not many reviews for this school. I'm here trying to see new reviews for Durand High as we need to make a decision between Durand or Swartz Creek for our child and there's not a lot of info that is new. Someone please tell us something!

Durand Area High School 1

Posted August 12, 2012
I posted in February after transferring my kids from a local school district to the Durand schools, needless to say I am sending my kids back to their original school. Durand is really good in appearances, but after my kids flunked out of EVERY CLASS they had after passing te same classes in thier other district I am DONE with DURAND!

Posted February 22, 2012
As a student I don't like it. Test scores are low, moral is low, and the general education is sub par. I am a senior who intended to take two AP classes this year but that didn't happen. All AP classes except for calc were cut and 12 students signed up for the AP English class. Instead I drive two days a week to take a class at Mott Community College spending right around 30 dollars a week on gas plus my books for a class that I shouldn't have to pay anything for. There are some very good teachers here, but they are not given any credit for what they do and often the bad teachers out shine the good ones. From what I have seen of the principle he is a good guy, doing what he can for the students but the new vice principle is horrible. Dress code compliance/ enforcement has dropped dramatically and basic rules are not always enforced. When they are it is to those who the staff see as less desireable or do not have popular parents in the district. I would never send my children here and if given the chance I would switch schools. The programs are not challenging, some of the teachers have no idea of what they are supposed to be teaching, and the students themselves often don't care.

Posted February 28, 2011
This school has the beast band i ever seen but they are definatly not supported by their board of education and only somewhat by the community. The band is the only thing this school has going for them. The band students are very disaplined kids and very hard working. and to see their program get trashed like it is now is a sad sad thing.when they work on their band program thats when ill bring my student here...until then this school is nothing!!!

Posted November 21, 2010
Durand High School used to not be that bad of a school. Now it is slowly getting worst. Drug problems are getting worst, also the teachers are not the greatest. Most of the teachers don't care, and they are very rude and harsh towards students. The students here are very rude and this school has a lot of violence and drama. Nearby schools are a lot better, like Corunna, Byron, or even Owosso.

Durand Area High School

Posted April 09, 2010
Durand has just earned an all disctict NCA accredidation. Less than 40 districts in the state has earned this. Congratulations on a job well done. This district is miles ahead of the rest of the county districts in terms of technology. Buildings are all updated and well maintained. Athletic Facilities are outstanding and well maintained. Wonderfull Middle/ High School Campus feel. Fans are known as friendly...a class act. Outstanding Fine Arts programs. Disadvantage...Durand has always gravitated towards Flint area and not Shiawassee County. Therefore, County opinion of Durand is distorted. Genesee Area opinion of Durand is highly respected.

Posted February 21, 2009
I currently attend Drurand Highschool. It's a great school, although some of their school rules aren't the best I still enjoy going there! :)

Posted August 22, 2008
its a great school im a junior there right now. I think we have great football coaches and they put students first. anyone who moves and blames it on the program, well thats an exscuse for you raising you r child wrong

Posted January 25, 2006
Durand Schools offer a wonderful educational experience from the elementary through the middle and high school levels. The progress they are making is unmatched by other schools in the county. The new middle school is a highlight, and an additional bond issue is upcoming which will make more improvements. Several new teachers, especially at the high school, have added fresh perspectives and an upbeat and enthusiastic environment for learning. Students have the opportunity to take A.P. courses, participate in award-winning fine arts programs, and experience the benefits of a small school atmosphere. For the past couple of years, unhappy people have left the district through school of choice, making it seem like Durand is lacking something other schools have. Consequently, those of us who realize the wonderful opportunities and sense of pride Durand instills have taken steps to show people how truly great Durand Schools are!

Posted April 07, 2005
Durand Area Schools always put the students first. Athletics are important, but not anymore than the fine arts. Durand gives a well rounded education. The teachers go the extra mile and the district is the only district in the county to be North Central accredited since 1969. This also includes their middle school. Durand does not get the recognition they deserve because they are on the outer limits of the county. Excellent, excellent school district. Fantastic academics, special education programs, music programs (K-11), and college prep programs. My daughter is an honor student at University of Michigan and was well prepared by Durands updated teaching methods, cutting edge technology, and the teacher's personal interest in helping beyond their required hours. Definently, my School of Choice for the Shiawassee County area. They bring a 'Touch of Class' to this rural area that all students experience.

Durand Area High School
9575 East Monroe Road, Durand, MI  48429
Last modified Durand Area High School is a Public school that serves grades 8-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Durand Area High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top