I hated this school. They heavily discriminated against me because I'm a slightly overweight male. If you were a slightly overweight girl, there were no problems. Nobody should have to suffer so much for a few extra pounds!!
Terrible. It's supposed to be the one of the best schools in Michigan. However, I guess a good education consists of 7 hours of fill in the blanks homework every day. The math department has declined since I was here and the teachers just read out of the book and can't answer simple questions. At the same time, the teachers grade really hard and make condescending comments towards the students. This school is supposed to be "tolerant and openminded", but I have never been bullied EVER to the extent when I was here, and only had a couple acquaintances for four years. One student even started a Facebook group against me and I couldn't sleep for days. This school doesn't educate the whole student body, it only caters to the top 10% and believes the other 90% are better off grilling burgers.
I am removing my child from this school after this year. She had to repeat a math class that she got an A on last year. One teacher loses papers so they have to be redone; another teacher is mean, belittling, and intimidating and I've had to go to the principal about him; another teacher lets the kids go wild in class so the ones who want to work can't. My daughter is an advanced student and this is not the place for her. She gets blocked from her locker by a group of kids, who call themselves "gangstas," pick on her so she can no longer use it. She gets tired of all the talk of pot and sex (yes, I know this happens everywhere nowadays, but my daughter is actually there because she wants to learn). One of her friends is also being removed next year, and yet another already has been.
Some teachers are good but a lot are too hard. It seems that it's the goal for everyone in this school to go to Harvard and MIT, which is pretty impractical IMO, especially since I'm going into electrical repair. It's not really different from most high schools otherwise. I am so glad that I can finish my high school education at LCC and get a diploma!
Look It's really not that special or different. There are basic busywork classes. I don't know how other schools do this, but the AP classes were IMPOSSIBLE. Most AP teachers wouldn't even talk about the material, but assign impossible tests, which studying for them left me with four hours of sleep per night. I didn't even want to go to college as a result!! There's social drama like everywhere else, and for four straight years, I was worried where I would "belong" in life, only to find that Michigan State, closer to the world, made way more sense, and was actually way different. I had a couple amazing teachers though, which I will remember for the rest of my life, one of whom will become principal next year.
East Lansing High School is the worst school I ever put my daughter in. The local students are all spoiled brats and the bullying is outrages! If you are a transfer student be careful in selecting this school.The Principle Staff is a failure when it comes to addressing the bullying. The parents do not care what their kids or have no clue what they do at school.
Budget cuts have undermined what used to be an excellent school. Now it is merely "pretty good". There are over 30 kids in many English & Social Studies classes, making it difficult for teachers to review and return writing assignments on a timely basis. There are excellent teachers and sub-standard teachers - it's a roulette wheel each year regarding what quality level of teaching your student might get. Guidance support services are lacking in the area of curriculum preparation and application know-how for students who want to attend a selective college. Positives: The math and science programs are fairly strong for accelerated learners. What separates this school from the rest is it's accepting attitudes and inclusiveness of the student body.