Marble School 2

Posted December 03, 2012
We are considering moving into another district a Marble seems to be going back further to the 19th century in terms of lowering expectations for students, increasing boring repetitive worksheet curriculum and doing away with project learning and field trips, and increasing class sizes. Fundraising, sports and behavior take priority over academics. The principal is always in a hurry and not parent friendly.

Posted August 18, 2010
Marble is a good school because it has mainly well cared-for, prepared kids with educated parents. The school doesn't push the kids academically, however, and class sizes have been growing. I do admire the zero bullying tolerance, it sets the kids up for high behavior expectations that will make learning easier in the higher grades. I agree that the school could be a lot more innovative in learning approaches, especially integrating music and art more into the curriculum.

Marble School 0

Posted January 07, 2010
I am very happy with Marble School this 2009-2010 school year. The principal is very friendly and has great credentials. I'm not fond of the rigid lunch rules that are now being applied but if that is the worst thing that happens, I can live with it. As the parent of a girl, I can say that I'm very tired of all the emphasis that is put on the girls getting along and now the girls have to sit with the social worker at the school to talk about 'being friends with everyone.' Boys do things sometimes that mimic some of this behavior but it is okay because it is on the sports field. I have seen the girls at Marble have a wonderful time together and I am very proud my daughter is friends with many different girls. This anti-bullying msg. is important but they are overdoing it.

Marble School 3

Posted August 10, 2009
Marble is a nice school with a friendly environment. The kids and parents are wonderful the teachers and administration are welcoming. However there are very low academic expectations. There is nothing in place for children who are excelling and need further challenges. I would also argue that the curriculum is not challenging for most kids. We found that continuing to approach the teachers and principal about this resulted in nothing of substance to the academic environment. We do not plan to continue in East Lansing schools for this reason.

Marble School 3

Posted August 10, 2009
I agree with the other parent's recent review stating 'low academic expectations.' Marble is a nice school community with good parent involvement. However, the staff does not aspire to excellence. Rather, they focus on students meeting the requirements and do not provide opportunities for students who have the capability to perform at a higher level. In addition, the curriculum is uninspriring, with most teachers providing a standard classroom experience without exciting learning opportunities (with the exception of a few). Cliques abound at Marble, and students feel pressure to wear the right clothes, watch the right TV shows, and have the right electronics. Not enough attention is given to hurtful behavior amongst girls, though with the change of principals this year that has improved. Unfortunately, the districts around East Lansing offer more of the same, and there are few private options for parents who desire a more rigorous and creative educational atmosphere.

Posted June 12, 2009
I taught at Marble and I loved my experience there. The parents are involved at just the right amount.

Posted June 06, 2008
Marble is an excellent school.We have two children in the system and have found the East Lansing schools to be comparable to private schooling. East Lansing schools are highly academic, arts-oriented, globally diverse, and have many upscale families that are involved in their children's lives. We feel confident our children are being well-prepared for their future.

Posted February 09, 2007
I have not had any problems with Marble Elementary. My children have been in the East Lansing School District for about 4 years now. And would rate the district about a 9. Marble however is a 10.

Posted June 30, 2005
Marble is an excellent school, Teachers are A+. Parental invovlement is terrific. Marble offers a higher standard of programs and great language arts.

Posted February 22, 2005
So far this year (2004-2005), our experience with Kindergarten at Marble School confirms time and again that our decision to specifically choose East Lansing and the Bailey Neighborhood was worth every penny we pay of the higher cost of home ownership and taxes compared to similar communities nearby. I say this because the community provides many amenities close by, especially if you value a slighty urban setting, proximity to a major university, access to many children's programs throughout the year and an outlet for you to enjoy life as well as you and your family grow and develop in a stimulating, engrossing environment. People are friendly and the City of East Lansing provides excellent services for its citizens, including an excellent city library. While the city might do a little more toward recycling efforts, the schools are well-funded and supported.

Marble School
729 North Hagadorn Road, East Lansing, MI  48823
Last modified Marble School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Marble School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 10 reviews. Top