PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

There are absolutely no bullies in this school.

This is an amazing school for all students from Pre-K to 8th Grade. The teachers are very helpful and your child is guaranteed to learn many things.

This Catholic school was just what we were looking for when the Monroe area catholic schools merged. We wanted our children in an environment that had K-8th grade. We wanted our kids to have the same experience with older and younger students as this helps them to mentor and be mentored. It helps them to grow personally and spiritually. This is exactly what St. Michaels in Monroe used to be. We feel right at home here. Our children entered in the upper grades of 5th and 8th. They move from class to class for the middle school model. At present today the Math, English and Science teachers ROCK! Math by far is the best. This teachers keeps the kids interested in the subject all calendar year long with competitions, not just the school year. So in essence your child will get math or can 365 days a year here. And she uses technology to do this, which kids today LOVE. By the time your child is at the end of 8th grade they will have completed Algebra 1. No other Catholic school can boast that in Monroe County. The only reason that we do not give this school a 5 star rating is that they don't offer Art, Music or an extra language in the middle school level. It certainly would help round out the students experience. But we find even without these our children have succeeded and have gone on to SMCC with all A & B's on their report card. There computer lab has been updated and the children use this a lot in all grade levels. I would love to see ipads in the upper class rooms being utilized. But it's not a deal breaker. Our children get that exposure at home. The newer priest certainly has added a new level of personality to the mix. Kids love mass, he's right in there calling them by name to answer questions. He sees the kids at lunch and asks them questions. He's actually in the school!!! Something that lacks at many other parishes, but not here at St. Joe's. We also have nuns that run the library and assist with homework help if needed. They too are a huge part of your child's experience at school. If the state of Michigan would go to vouchers this school would have a waiting list a mile long. It's not expensive to send your child here. It's the education that they gain and the religion that they will take with them for the rest of their lives.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Middle school teachers are the best by far in Monroe County, MI. I haven't met a better one yet especially in Math. We've been to all the open houses in the county and St. Joe's by far beat each and every teacher we interviewed at their open houses. Go ahead and talk to the Math teacher here, you'll get as excited as we are and move your child to this school!!!

Amount of homework: Disagree

They give homework and it's a lot compared to other schools. We as parents could see a little more. Others might feel they give to much and don't need more. We are parents that want our child to understand fully that days lessons.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The teachers gives ample time for your child to realize that they have made a mistake. Your child will knowingly apologize and own up to that mistake. The staff helps your child understand where they went wrong if needed. If your child pushes to hard or acts out there are detentions that are made up after school. A loving environment, fairness and lets the child learn from his or her mistakes. No one rushes to judgment here.

St. Joe's is amazing! There is no other school that I toured where the children stepped aside to let me through a doorway first or backed up to open the door for me and my kids.....the teachers are 110% dedicated and so are all of the parents! I have 3 children that I will send here and it's worth every penny! We've all made new friends here and the nurturing and growth both academically and spiritually in my kids is why this school is #1!

I think its funny that some one can write such a harsh review about such a "terrible" school when they don't even understand the English language themselves: EX: "their (there) is more better schools" wow, no wonder why they think St. Joseph is a horrible school. They probably didn't even understand half the material that was given to their child for home work. I went there for 8 years and it prepared me well for high school, my six years in the navy, and my now college life.

All I can say about SJS, is that ALOT of bully patrents and nonsense that happends in that so call "catholic school"!! And how funny it is to read ALL the stupidy they say about SJS, especially the same teachers that submit things about this school, get over it ppl!!! Oh, to inform you peoplel that their is MORE better schools out their then just SJS that offers more for your 80 students enrolled!! I will NEVER send my kids to that school, where I can send them anywhere my money is worth sending too!! I give SJS school unsatisfactory!!

My name is Shanna Kehoe and I am a teacher at St. Joseph Catholic School. Our staff is great, and are willing to do whatever is necessaryto ensure that each student is reaching his or potential in all subjects. Our school community including the parents, faculty, and staff work together to make this a great learning environment for our students. With being here for 14 years, I can't imagine another school that I would rather teach than at St. Joseph's Catholic School.

Last modified St. Joseph Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8