Wood Creek Elementary School

Public | K-4 | 370 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 18, 2014

In reading the postings, many of them are outdated and do not reflect the great environment that is now Wood Creek. My oldest child is in 2nd grade, and I know most of the teachers. We have been amazed by their dedication and commitment to the kids and to keeping in touch with parents. One of the best things about Wood Creek is that it is a Leader in Me school. If you don't know what that is, you should look it up because it's a great program that creates an environment of accountability and a skill set that will be valuable to the students all of their life. This program requires a commitment on the part of the staff and the principal, and that commitment is at Wood Creek! The principal, who recently left for a promotion within the district, was very involved and created a team environment with all the teachers. I couldn't be happier to have my children go to Wood Creek. I wish there was a little more parent involvement, but those who are involved are very committed.

Posted April 23, 2013

We have been at Wood Creek since 2010 after transferring in mid-year from a school that we loved. Any transition is rough but ours went SO well. I was sorry to read that some families had a difficult time at this school and had to add my thoughts because that has not been our experience. Our interactions with the staff, from the principle to the custodians and everyone in between, have been nothing but positive. Currently, the staff is going through the Leader in Me training program that "emphasizes a culture of student empowerment and helps unleash each child s full potential (leaderinme.org). Wood Creek is the second school in the entire district to begin this process and now more have decided to follow suit. I find that, like in any school, the families that are involved tend to have the most engaging experiences. (NOTE: I am NOT to claiming that anyone with negative associations from this school was uninvolved). I would highly encourage ANY parent looking into ANY school to get involved at whatever level works for you. It really makes all the difference. I could not be more proud to send both of my kids to Wood Creek.

Posted December 8, 2012

We have been at WC for 3 years (formerly at Eagle). We have watched the school improve consistently in those three years. It's difficult to judge a school by the first year after reconfiguration, since everything had changed overnight. We have had fantastic teachers every year, and this year the principal (who is an amazing administrator and always looking for best-practices and new research to help the school) fought the district to bring class sizes down well below any other schools around. She may not be as touchy-feely as other principals, but she supports the staff really well and is always involved in school events. WC has challenges that many other schools in the district do not (lower incomes, higher poverty, etc.) and yet maintains a thriving and supportive community for all kids. Parent involvement is so important for improving schools, so I urge the people with complaints to take action! Volunteer your time or abilities to help the school improve, not just to criticize and complain. A "we're all in this together" mindset will lift everyone up.

Posted November 16, 2012

I thought the purpose of this forum was to submit unsolicited, honest feedback on one's experience at a school. Teacher reviews tend to be biased and I have yet to read one that provides substantive value; rather, they often seem to respond (defensively) to legitimate, less than positive reviews from parents. We are former parents of FPS and this school--the negative reviews are consistent with our experience. Minimizing parent concerns about visibility of leadership to desiring more smiles and waves is offensive. When parents have experienced highly visible, actively engaged leadership (like many parents who were re-districted to WC after the merger) they have every right to express that concern when they experience the opposite. We moved our children to a different district b/c WC is not a good fit for us, but it might be for others. Parents who submit reviews do so to help prospective parents gain knowledge they would not otherwise obtain and to express either praise or criticism where it is due. We certainly relied on parent reviews from Great Schools as part of our research and found a school that is an excellent fit for us. Perhaps that is worth some self-reflection.

Posted November 3, 2012

To truly know a quality school, you need to be cognizant of behind the scenes realities, not just surface perceptions and judgements. Staff culture, knowledge of "best practices", willingness to self-reflect and grow professionally while collaborating to reach the needs of every child; this is true quality- community building and love for children with a balanced focus on academics, social and emotional needs of every child. Wood Creek truly characterizes all of this. The staff is committed to Wood Creek and display a synergy to do what is right for children. Wood Creek has true leadership, which is a behind the scenes focus on supporting and growing teachers, nurturing a culture of professional growth and striving to reach the needs of every child by working with staff and parents to enhance and stretch academics and social emotional needs of children. Leadership focused solely on waving and smiling at visible times is unfortunately the way some people judge schools, as well as judgement based solely on one standardized test. Understanding quality schools requires a much deeper look behind the scenes. Diligent work by staff and leadership since merging has had amazing results.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 21, 2011

student/teacher ratio is too high (25/1 +) The principal is a poor leader who lacks creative problem solving skills and does not seem to appreciate parental input. Teachers were competent & caring but did not have the support/resources they needed to be effective. Curriculum was lacking and there is little support for a child whose skills do not match the norm. Budget cuts have effected the school but i see other neaeby schools (outside the FH school system) coming up with creative solutions to maintain quality education for all types of learners. WC has not done this. Parents are involved and the school welcomes that, but overall there is a negative atmosphere. We did not experience safety issues other reviewers cite but found the school had so many kids per class it was chaotic. We left WC to find a better school academically as well as a better environment for our children. The school has potential but needs direction and leadership to improve as it is currently on the decline.

Posted July 13, 2011

My daughter has been a student at Woodcreek for two years now, and I have NEVER been so dissatisfied with a school!! I bought a beautiful home two years ago because I THOUGHT Farmington Hills had great schools!! I spend every night & summer playing catchup because the teachers are not teaching the grade level content!!!!! I was SO exhausted from coming to my daughters school complaining to the teacher about her NOT teaching content that I know should have been taught!!! How do I know what should be taught, because I am a teacher too!!!!!!

Posted May 8, 2011

This school is dangerous! My child was in a "worst nightmare" situation and the principal was not even willing to separate the offender from my child! However, she did offer counseling to help with my child's fear, and gave the offender a time out. Three weeks later the same kid did it again to someone else. They refuse to protect the physical safety of the children! Whoever is writing great things about this principal has no idea of what goes on with this school. This should not be this hard! DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!!!

Posted May 1, 2011

This school has major kids safety issues. School has extreme bully problem with principal punishing offenders and victims equally. School has policies of talk over the bully problems and do nothing else about it . Kids frequently punished by "imprisonment" in the reflection room whether they "reflect" on wrong-doing on their part and taught not to defend themselves. Academically the school is very weak as well. If you have a choice - do not enroll your child in Wood Creek. It is the weakest school in he district.

Posted April 13, 2011

My family loves Woodcreek! The principal is welcoming, very visible and is very involved with the teachers to get the kids what they need. I feel comfortable talking to her & the office staff. We were an Eagle family and have been pleased with the change - a school is only as good as it's teachers and we have an excellent one this year. We've experienced both mediocre & excellent teaching staff in our four years of school. We have two children in FPS & I look forward to many happy years. Yes, the lunchroom is crowded, but well-managed. I'm sure the PTA would be welcome to addl recycling ideas. The PTA is an active group, as it was as Eagle and there are always opportunities to chip in for a one-time program or ongoing programs. My favorite was Dad's Reading night, organized in part, by one of the dad's! I also enjoy the regular breakfast socials.

Posted April 12, 2011

I am a teacher at Wood Creek Elementary School. I have been teaching for 20 years. I have taught in 5 different schools and in 3 different school districts. I can say for a fact that Wood Creek is the friendliest place on the planet. Sure, we have challenging students, but all schools have that. If you think that you are going to skip that problem by switching to another school or going to a private school, then think again. The great thing about Wood Creek is that the staff works so hard to get the kids to become independent and solve problems by themselves. It is all done with love and caring. To the person who said look at the rating- well, I see Highmeadow and Beechview with 4 out of 5, too. So, let's get our facts straight. As far as the principal being missing, I think that the problem you may be having is that this principal is mobile. She pops up everywhere and is very visible, but if you are not where she is, then you could easily feel that way. She immediately shares info with the staff and encourages us to become better. I couldn't be happier with her.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 16, 2011

Wood Creek Elementary has a great principal. She is very active and supportive of the school parent teacher association (PTA) group. You see her at all the parent group events and meetings. She stays late to be there for these events to be available for parents at the school. She does not hide in her office you will find her in the classrooms and in the hallways.

Posted March 7, 2011

This school has been an overall disappointment. Often times coming to the bld there are children running through the halls, screaming and having major meltdowns. I have seen the office staff having to discipline children who have been sent to the office (where's the principal?). The principal is not a visable leader nor does she appear to do much leading. There are some teachers who have been overheard screaming at students and some who appear to just tune out the insanity. I have watched families remove students and enroll in private school since the school reconfiguration. We have decided to do the same.

Posted January 18, 2011

It is bad when you see the social worker more than you see the principal. Actually, does the principal ever come out of her office? EVER? The hallways are always chaotic, with many children whom can not keep their hands to themselves. The classrooms have too many children, and not enough parapros to help. The lunchroom is too crowded - - if you are last in line to purchase food you only have 10 minutes to eat (very tough for kindergarteners). We have lost several good families already, and will continue if FPS do not wake up and address the situation before many more families leave. I came to Woodcreek with an open mind, but have been very disappointed. If you are looking for a visible principal you will not find that at Woodcreek. If you are out district you will probably get placed in this school, because many families will not be here next year (our included), and trust me you may want to look elsewhere. Very frustrating when we purchased our home over 15 years ago, and we thought we were in a good district , now we are faced w/moving or paying for private education.

Posted January 13, 2011

Since the reconfiguration and school closings, our desire to keep our kids in FPS has dwindled; the few months we have been at Wood Creek has solidified our desire to leave. The atmosphere at the school is chaotic--students roam freely through the halls and classroom mgmt. is non-existent. Classrooms are large (27 kids, e.g.) Bullying is a real problem. We are still baffled at how the school has no windows--no fresh air, no natural light. Not one window in the entire school! Having experienced the leadership/ caliber of teachers at Eagle, we are sorely disappointed at WC and feel our kids (K and 2nd grade) are definitely being short changed. The district needs to invest in getting the scores, atmosphere and quality of WC on par with the rest of the el schools in the district. Not just a disgruntled, complainer, we spend quite a bit of time volunteering at this school. The 4 out of 10 rating from Great Schools speaks for itself--no other school in the district is rated so poorly.

Posted April 14, 2010

Diverse, yet united parent/kid community, enriched through passionate, caring staff. AND we walk to school!

Posted April 14, 2010

Great principal,wondeful staff,diversity and an amazing close community...and fabulous children. What more could any school offer.

Posted March 27, 2009

I love this school. My daughter has been attending Woodcreek since kindergarten and has become a very kknowledgeable student for her age. Each staff member truly focuses on the student's abilities and strides to help the child improve where she/he needs it. They even have the children evaluate themselves and encourage them to set their own goals to improve their skills in the much need curriculum area. Awesome school!

Posted February 12, 2009

I love Wood Creek because the building is set up student friendly. When my grandson needed help in reading they sprang into action to improve his skills and he's now a great reader. Just the simple homework assignment of reading 20 minutes per day and 5 minutes for math makes such a difference.

Posted October 26, 2007

I have never been so unhappy with a school. The things that the teacher are teaching my kids are from last year. This school does not have a open door policy and they are always asking for money for things for the school/classroom.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

65 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

Below Average

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 34% 18%

• (248) 851-1526

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now