No rating

The International School

Private | K-8

Student diversity

Living in Farmington Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted November 15, 2013

My 4 year old child attends the German Immersion Kindergarten/Preschool at The International School. The school has absolutely exceeded my expectations. As soon as we enter the school parking lot, my child switches over to speaking German and is so proud to come home showing off his new German skills. I believe a huge factor in the success of the school is the student teacher ratio (3:1 in his group). The teacher actually sits with them at the table, instead of being occupied by distractions that naturally come with overcrowded classrooms. The cultural diversity at the school is amazing and enhances the experience. Even at such a young age, my son knows to say "Hola" to the Spanish teacher. I truly feel lucky that we found this school!

Posted May 6, 2013

We've had two children at this school for the past 3 years and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. Curriculum is well rounded with extensive opportunity in 5 foreign languages. Academics are outstanding with individual attention given based on child's skill levels not age/grade. Teachers and administrative staff is fantastic. Small school with good teacher/student ratios. Great parent participation opportunities. After school clubs are diverse in selection with something for everyone.

Posted May 6, 2013

Rich Language immersion, dynamic and engaged teachers, global-minded and future-driven. Very welcoming to new families. Love the cross-cultural opportunities with Chinese, Iranian, Russian, Cubanian, German, Korean, Tcheque, American, Japanese, and Spanish tracks.

Posted May 3, 2013

I love this school because of the very small ratio of teachers per students. It is more like tutoring, my child is in 6th Gr and enjoys being challenged in a very positive learning atmosphere. I like the diverse cultural environment and the emphasis on academic skills and achievement. The language immersion program is unparalleled, she has two hours of foreign language from a native speaker daily. I am amazed how quickly she has learned a new language and how enthusiastic she feels about using it to communicate. I have visited other private schools in the area prior to this one. They, offer at the most 3 classes very basic foreign language. The teachers are usually non-native speakers or simply do not speak the language fluently. Besides, private schools in the area are parochial which usually means, one religion (heavily enforced), one culture (Michigan) and one race. I do not believe this prepares a child for the real world. That is why I chose the International School.

Posted November 18, 2012

We are a German family, who is on their second assignment in Michigan. Our son being only 5 years old started school at The International School. He found kind and understanding teachers, and in the small sized classes he forged ahead. After first and second grade in the States he then attended 3rd to 5th grade in Germany. He had absolutely no transition problems, the same grades and same teacher s appraisals. Of course from time to time we had to balance (in the States and in Germany) certain subjects with extra assignments due to non-existence, our son s lack of comprehension or non efficient teachers. Now he s back for 6th and 7th, he enjoys school and new teachers. The International School meets requirements of good German schools. In addition The International School offers a foreign language program which is not found easily in the States. (part 1)

Posted November 18, 2012

(part 2) The students are actually able to learn another language to the extent of really speaking, understanding and writing, because of the unique immersion program with native speaking teachers! Our daughter attends 3rd and 4th grade at The International School and is supported and motivated individually (regarding talents and deficits) like our son due to small class sizes, outstanding teachers and of course attentive parents. Both children have to work sometimes hard but enjoy the international atmosphere, although we would love to have more American students. By the current state of scientific knowledge advanced multiple (at least dual) language skills stimulate brain activity and enhance education! Based on our several years of experience, our whole family highly recommends The International School. Our kids thrive on their international education.

Posted March 22, 2012

Be careful. I cannot recommend this school !!! Before tuition please check: a) hardware equipment b) online courses (compare with a successful public school) c) school size (small building and < 50students [2011]) d) diversity (~80% german) e) ask for methods to motivate kids f) check age of all teachers g) ask what happens if 2 teachers are ill at the same time h) try to make internet research about school members in advanced i) ask how long kids have to learn each day j) ask if teacher feels responsible for the success or if kids are blamed for beeing unsuccessful k) lunch and 100 hundred more reasons (besides more then 15000$) Don t trust you first impression from a 20 minute discussion!

Posted January 31, 2010

As a teacher at the International School I am proud of our English program, it meets or exceeds Michigan's benchmarks and standards. The students develop fine writing and speaking skills. By middle school the students have mastered their second or third language. The students' school day consist of two curriculums - English and foreign language. More parents should give their children an opportunity to experience the educational journey. What a great future!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 27, 2009

Our 2 children attend the International School since 3 years now. The curriculum balances the differnt languages very well. You can choose between Spanish, French and German. I have nothing but good things to say. The teachers are great and parent involvment is very high. I can absolutely recommend this school also for American students.

Posted October 21, 2009

This is my daughter's 3rd year at the International School. She is 5. The preschool program is wonderful If you believe your child will benefit from a small, hands on classroom with extensive one on one attention, this school would be a good fit for you. My daughter takes Spanish, Chinese and English. She has an art, music and gym class. It is not a stressful environment, but a warm and fun one. There is a lot of parent involvment and I feel really good sending her there. The language immersion is a big advantage for the kids. All of the teachers are loving and warm. I'd highly recommend it.

Posted October 13, 2009

We have two kids at the International School; Kindergarten and 2nd Grade- and we love it. The Teachers are great! They are very professionell and also friendly -you can see they love their Job! I m a Teacher from Germany and I m totally satisfied how they work and educate the kids...

Posted June 3, 2009

This is an excellent program for Germans. Most of the students and teachers are German. All programs are geared to them and are treated very well by the administration. Americans should approach attending this $17,000 program with caution.

Posted September 11, 2007

Our daughter is a 4th grader at the International School and we are very pleased with the school and what she is learning. I can hightly recommend the school to all German parents who stay in Michigan for several years and then return to Germany. The kids can focus on their native language on one hand and learn a second language on the other hand. Petra Lassrich, parent

Posted January 29, 2007

The International school has very fabulous German teachers! My daughter is from a German/American mixed household. It is not known whether or not we should ever move to Germany, but it is good that she should be prepared and important that she knows the language of her father. The school could use more parent involvement and public awareness. It would be excellent for high school students learning German, to check out some of the activities and shows at the school.It's a hidden gem!

Posted August 7, 2006

Both of my children attend the school since 2004. We are very pleased so far. I highly recommend the school. My children love the teachers. When we compare the school with schools in Germany, the international school is way ahead in the curriculum. Two thumbs up!

Posted May 4, 2006

Year 2005-2006 Our child is in French class in the morning and even if we paid 300$ book fee there was no books and no program. The principal isn't very present and isn't answering to the parents questions and requests. We were very disapointed for the 13000$ school fee. To be very cautious!

Posted November 5, 2004

My daughter goes to the French program 2nd grade. She still does not have any books todate (11/04). The principal is absent more than half the time and has no idea what the teacher is doing. He hadn't even evalute the new teachers! In the past, the principal had no worries because the french teachers had brought their own programs. Their spanish program is not in so great shape ane it seemed that they had put the major emphasis on the German program which is not suitable for English speaking children. Don't get deceived! Caution.

Posted October 27, 2004

My son is in the Preschool program, which is fabulous. The director/ teacher is extremely talented - and makes learning fun for the children, and makes them feel instantly comfortable and part of the group. He doesn't identify the children as 'fellow students', but as 'friends.'

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

• Mr. Jack Faxon