Farmington Hills, MI

Posted November 15, 2013
My 4 year old child attends the German Immersion Kindergarten/Preschool at The International School. The school has absolutely exceeded my expectations. As soon as we enter the school parking lot, my child switches over to speaking German and is so proud to come home showing off his new German skills. I believe a huge factor in the success of the school is the student teacher ratio (3:1 in his group). The teacher actually sits with them at the table, instead of being occupied by distractions that naturally come with overcrowded classrooms. The cultural diversity at the school is amazing and enhances the experience. Even at such a young age, my son knows to say "Hola" to the Spanish teacher. I truly feel lucky that we found this school!

Posted May 06, 2013
We've had two children at this school for the past 3 years and wouldn't think of going anywhere else. Curriculum is well rounded with extensive opportunity in 5 foreign languages. Academics are outstanding with individual attention given based on child's skill levels not age/grade. Teachers and administrative staff is fantastic. Small school with good teacher/student ratios. Great parent participation opportunities. After school clubs are diverse in selection with something for everyone.

Posted May 06, 2013
Rich Language immersion, dynamic and engaged teachers, global-minded and future-driven. Very welcoming to new families. Love the cross-cultural opportunities with Chinese, Iranian, Russian, Cubanian, German, Korean, Tcheque, American, Japanese, and Spanish tracks.

Posted May 03, 2013
I love this school because of the very small ratio of teachers per students. It is more like tutoring, my child is in 6th Gr and enjoys being challenged in a very positive learning atmosphere. I like the diverse cultural environment and the emphasis on academic skills and achievement. The language immersion program is unparalleled, she has two hours of foreign language from a native speaker daily. I am amazed how quickly she has learned a new language and how enthusiastic she feels about using it to communicate. I have visited other private schools in the area prior to this one. They, offer at the most 3 classes very basic foreign language. The teachers are usually non-native speakers or simply do not speak the language fluently. Besides, private schools in the area are parochial which usually means, one religion (heavily enforced), one culture (Michigan) and one race. I do not believe this prepares a child for the real world. That is why I chose the International School.

Posted November 18, 2012
We are a German family, who is on their second assignment in Michigan. Our son being only 5 years old started school at The International School. He found kind and understanding teachers, and in the small sized classes he forged ahead. After first and second grade in the States he then attended 3rd to 5th grade in Germany. He had absolutely no transition problems, the same grades and same teacher s appraisals. Of course from time to time we had to balance (in the States and in Germany) certain subjects with extra assignments due to non-existence, our son s lack of comprehension or non efficient teachers. Now he s back for 6th and 7th, he enjoys school and new teachers. The International School meets requirements of good German schools. In addition The International School offers a foreign language program which is not found easily in the States. (part 1)

Posted November 18, 2012
(part 2) The students are actually able to learn another language to the extent of really speaking, understanding and writing, because of the unique immersion program with native speaking teachers! Our daughter attends 3rd and 4th grade at The International School and is supported and motivated individually (regarding talents and deficits) like our son due to small class sizes, outstanding teachers and of course attentive parents. Both children have to work sometimes hard but enjoy the international atmosphere, although we would love to have more American students. By the current state of scientific knowledge advanced multiple (at least dual) language skills stimulate brain activity and enhance education! Based on our several years of experience, our whole family highly recommends The International School. Our kids thrive on their international education.

The International School 1

Posted March 22, 2012
Be careful. I cannot recommend this school !!! Before tuition please check: a) hardware equipment b) online courses (compare with a successful public school) c) school size (small building and < 50students [2011]) d) diversity (~80% german) e) ask for methods to motivate kids f) check age of all teachers g) ask what happens if 2 teachers are ill at the same time h) try to make internet research about school members in advanced i) ask how long kids have to learn each day j) ask if teacher feels responsible for the success or if kids are blamed for beeing unsuccessful k) lunch and 100 hundred more reasons (besides more then 15000$) Don t trust you first impression from a 20 minute discussion!

The International School 0

Posted January 31, 2010
As a teacher at the International School I am proud of our English program, it meets or exceeds Michigan's benchmarks and standards. The students develop fine writing and speaking skills. By middle school the students have mastered their second or third language. The students' school day consist of two curriculums - English and foreign language. More parents should give their children an opportunity to experience the educational journey. What a great future!

Posted October 27, 2009
Our 2 children attend the International School since 3 years now. The curriculum balances the differnt languages very well. You can choose between Spanish, French and German. I have nothing but good things to say. The teachers are great and parent involvment is very high. I can absolutely recommend this school also for American students.

Posted October 21, 2009
This is my daughter's 3rd year at the International School. She is 5. The preschool program is wonderful If you believe your child will benefit from a small, hands on classroom with extensive one on one attention, this school would be a good fit for you. My daughter takes Spanish, Chinese and English. She has an art, music and gym class. It is not a stressful environment, but a warm and fun one. There is a lot of parent involvment and I feel really good sending her there. The language immersion is a big advantage for the kids. All of the teachers are loving and warm. I'd highly recommend it.

The International School
28555 Middlebelt Rd, Farmington Hills, MI  48334
Last modified The International School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
The International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top