Farmington Hills, MI

Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School 3

Posted December 09, 2014
There are some great teachers and some that are not so good. We get tons of homework, and sometimes I feel that it is to compensate for the lack of instruction or inability to provide adequate instruction b/c the teachers have to handle disruptive kids. The Vice Principal is terrific and handles disciplinary problems quickly. OLS is highly focused on recruiting new students and fundraising. During 2013-14 school year, it seemed that we missed 10 days of school. Yet, they pulled the kids out of class to make Rainbow looms to send to Jimmy Kimmel. Great PR for the school but a waste of class instruction time. In its haste to recruit new students, OLS has been letting in some kids who have no business at a Catholic school. One new girl told my daughter that her dad said "Catholicism is the Devil's religion". Her family sent her there b/c she was receiving no discipline at home and expected the school to do it for them. I would check very carefully b/f sending kids to OLS. Great school in many ways, but hard if you don't fit in (e.g. wear expensive shoes, think highly of yourself, etc).

Posted August 31, 2014
This is the best for your children, great teachers, great administration and great parents and family participation.

Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School 1

Posted August 25, 2014
This school is terrible. They have had high turn over with staff. They have all new 1st grade teachers (which there are 3 classes). My kindergartener brought home a book on deer hunting, which was in the Kindergarten section and another child had checked it out previously. When I bring this issue to the principal, she said it was age appropriate for a five year old and compared deer hunting to football. Shooting an animal for sport and throwing a football are two completely different contracts. I looked into this issue because the principal didn't do anything about it and found out from the publisher that is meant for 5th grade and up. There was also not one private or public school that had this book except for up north and Fowlerville (public libraries have databases of where this book is located). She was very insensitive, displayed a cavalier attitude, and was disrespectful to my needs as a parent to have the book removed from the section.Many families are leaving because the school is run so poorly. It is over run by disrespectful children with parents that don't care how their children act. High teacher turn over rate and subpar learning. I had to enroll my child in Kumon.

Posted October 20, 2013
Our family has been at OLS for 2 years, I can not say enough about the wonderful, caring staff at OLS. Our child is challenged, loves school and has made wonderful friendships. Our younger child is at the Early Childhood Center and the approach the staff takes with the three year olds is amazing. They are learning math and reading concepts through play which will help them excel in Kindergarten. Finally the families are the true support system at Sorrows. The uplifting, kind family atmosphere is truly a blessing for our children to grow up in.

Posted September 06, 2013
My daughter attends this school since Kindergarten. This is a wonderful school to have your child in, very good academically, very friendly, child oriented. Bullying is not a problem here. Everyone is accepted for who he or she is. Teachers are great, very helpful, and open to collaboration and communication with the parents. School uniforms are required and that is a great thing!!! We love this school! Totally recommenced it!

Posted June 21, 2011
I love Sorrows.!!! My dad went to school here, my siblings and I went here, my niece went here and now my daughters attend! The teachers are wonderful, hardworking and truly care about the children and the academic and spiritual education that the children receive. The parent involvement is awesome and the friends that my daughters have met through OLS are wonderful. I would definitely recommend Sorrows!

Posted March 28, 2011
I am a widowed single parent. Before my two children were even of school age, my husband and I had planned to send our children to Catholic School. I did everything I could to honor that decision. Both of my children attended Our Lady of Sorrows from Kindergarten through eighth grade. I could not be happier with the education they received. They were well prepared for high school and were both accepted to attend a Catholic high school. My older child is a sophomore at the University of Michigan and is on the Dean's List. My younger child is a senior in high school and is looking forward to the college experience after a thoroughly well rounded primary and secondary education. Both received a great foundation at OLS. The teachers are exceptional and all offered great support to both my children and myself. The administrators and support staff treat every student and family as their own. I would recommend OLS as a great school to anyone interested in attending.

Posted March 25, 2011
Our experience at OLS has been a great one! Our children are happy and there is a great feeling of school community! From a social and academic standpoint, the school does a gret job of promoting the children's growth and development. Parents are welcome to be involved and there are many ways to help, the PTA is strong and vibrant. Our son started in preschool, but I did compare curriculums, prior to choosing to continue 1st grade. The OLS curriculum is much stronger, with higher standards then the local public school as well as other local catholic schools. The most important thing is our children have made great friendships, they are happy to go to school, and they are learning in a great environment!

Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School 2

Posted December 02, 2010
We pulled our 3 children out of OLS due to the poor leadership. There is suppose to be a bullying policy in place, but no one will follow through. The bullying is terrible. There are some really wonderful teachers, but there are a lot of bad teacers also. The preschool programs was in constant transition and choices that were made were to only make money and not what was in the best interest of the children. The families were all wonderful, but the education was a terrible mess.

Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School 2

Posted May 02, 2010
I have had three children attend OLS. The academics are ok, in general, for a middle of the road student. Children who are advanced or need more help are left behind, bored and ridiculed in the classes. There are some teachers who are incredible and best in class. They are the few, not the majority. The history program at OLS is second to none in the country. Unfortunately, that teacher will be retiring. The math program is the worst out of all of the catholic schools in the area, and behind the public schools. This data is evidenced by the high schools who encounter the OLS students. Those students who are successful in math are either professionally tutored or tutored at home. The admistration has not listened to the many parents offering help in the curriculum, and does not seem to be involved. In general, the Farmington Public Schools offer a stronger program.

Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School
24040 Raphael Road, Farmington Hills, MI  48336
Last modified Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Our Lady Of Sorrows Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top