No rating

Red Hill Montessori

Private | PK-6 | 125 students

Living in Farmington Hills

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $970.

Posted July 8, 2014

Red Hill has been part of our family since 2009! The owner/director is very passionate and hands on with all the students. She has set high standards for the school academically and works hard to maintain such standards, thus the reason for the turnover (as mentioned in previous reviews). The school focuses its mornings on academics and afternoons on extra curricular activites...dance, art, Spanish, gym, music and the new splash pad! The office manager (Ms Christina) and the teachers are always professional and nurturing! Red Hill, while not a religious school, is very modest. The classrooms are well disciplined, and very productive! My 5 year old is reading at a level 4, working on 3 digit addition and single digit subtraction! My 3 year old son is writing his name, numbers, most of the alphabet and reading appx 20 sight words!! My 7 year old daughter is breezing through 3rd grade math, her language and writing abilities are impressive! We have recently moved but will always appreciate Red Hill for 5 wonderful years of learning, genuine friendships and lasting memories!!!

Posted July 2, 2014

Red Hill Montessori ROCKS!!! The first thing I love about Red Hill is the safety and love that is provided to my child. The teachers are genuine and Ms. Layla the Principal is AWESOME!!! Even the parents and other children are great. All the children get along, which is very important to me besides a great education. Red Hill is very family oriented. Ms. Layla is not just the Principal but has hands on with all the children. My daughter started at age 4 and is now 5; she reads like a pro and enjoys reading. She is doing three-row addition and subtraction. The art, history and science curriculum is great!!! She loves science and history. I hate to say it but I often compare her to my friend s children in the same age bracket or older and she is so much more advanced. My niece started Red Hill at 2 and is reading and is able to hold full conversations. My niece speech and understanding is impeccable!!! My daughter is now in first grade and I can t wait to see her progress.

Posted June 12, 2014

My child just turned 4...she is reading ACTUAL books and doing 3- digit addition. AMAZING! The key to their success is the foundation they create and the individualized instruction. I cannot wait to see how far she will go in their elementary school!!! Some people look for fancy schools that just look pretty, but that is it. Red Hill is the real deal. Worth every penny! I also LOVE their new splash pad!

Posted June 3, 2014

This is one of the best montessori school in Farmington hills. The principal is very good and disciplined and the teachers as well. My both sons attended this school and it is amazing.

Posted January 30, 2014

We had both of our children at Red Hill, and when we moved to a different City, we enrolled the girls in a new school that was right around the corner. It became obvious very quickly that the new school was of a much lower standard - yet it too was a montessori. We returned to Red Hills and despite the two hours we spend every day driving to and fro school, we continually see the benefits. This is THE school for your children to attend. I cannot recommend Red Hill Montessori enough.

Posted May 19, 2013

My daughter attended Red Hill Montessori for the last 5 years, preschool - 3rd grade. My child was very active and a challenge to teach, but the owner, Leila Rotberg-Charlesworth and her teaching staff took the necessary time to ensure a quality learning experience. I shutter to think where she'd be today if she had not attended Red Hill. But now she is a very happy, delightful child who lists reading, history and science among her favorite subjects. Red Hill is more than a typical Montessori as they have a very strong academic foundation, most students are 2-years ahead of public school standards, but they also get a very solid footing in music and performance. They give 2 major performances a year with each child playing a role on stage. As a result, my daughter is very comfortable and confident at the mic. I'm thrilled my daughter had such a strong start in her academic career! I would send her there all over again in a heart-beat!

Posted May 17, 2013

My son attends Red Hill Montessori year round since 3rd grade. He's currently in 4th grade. I really like the education he is getting from Red Hill. The teachers are great and the principal is passionate about education. His English has improved a lot ever since he attended Red Hill. The small mixed grade class room foster tailor made learning opportunities for my son. He is good at math but his English level is only average, so I was glad that he was given the needed challenge in his English. I like the small class size and the low teacher-student ratio too which is something I cannot get from public school these days. My son enjoyed the music, gym, dancing, Spanish, cooking classes that the school offer. The school is open year round even in the summer. Summer program has 1/2 day learning and 1/2 day activities. I prefer this over the all play summer camps which is hard for kids to go back to school in Sept. I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted April 26, 2013

One year ago, I enrolled my son, who at the time was 2, in Red Hill Montessori. A year later, he reads fluently. A few weeks ago, he selected one of Dr. Seuss's book and read it cover-to-cover. He is also performing single digit addition, and learning to speak Spanish. This is amazing for a child who is 3 yrs. old. I couldn't be more happier with Ms. Leila and her staff especially Ms. Shawnee, Ms. Lori, Ms. Ghada and Ms. Ryan. Others have reported Ms. Leila as rude and impersonal. I would replace those descriptions with passionate, academically focused, zero tolerance for laziness and excuses coupled with a strong love for children. I love this school and would highly recommend it to others.

Posted April 8, 2013

My daughter & son started at Red Hill in January. My husband and I could not be happier with the choice that we made to send them here. My young son, who had separation anxiety when he started, now loves to come to school. His teachers are so warm and nurturing, and even at his young age I see advances with his language, his fine/gross motor skills, and I see his love of singing blooming. My daughter who is a little older has made HUGE academic strides already in the short time she has been attending. She is learning to write and read words at 3! They even created a "first book" for her with her family pictures and words that she reads on her own every day. She comes home daily talking about her teachers and her one-on-one time with Miss Leila, and I can see her self-confidence growing each week. As a parent, it is so important to find the right environment for your children, and we have found that at Red Hill!!

Posted December 14, 2011

I am currently a teacher at Red Hill Montessori and my experience has been rewarding and extremely wonderful. At Red Hill Montessori we strive for excellence. We nurture, guide and educate the children academically, emotionally, and socially. We focus on the development of the whole child, not only providing personalized attention and student centered lessons, but also creating a rich and broad variety of experiences beyond our walls through art classes, stage performances, engaging field trips, and activities throughout Metro Detroit . Our Director, Ms. Leila has dedicated her life imparting Montessori education of the highest quality. The Director and the teachers take great initiative and put a lot of hard work into molding each child and bringing them up to a level that is way above other regular Montessori and public schools . The discipline of the school is commendable. It has been a pleasure working here.

Posted December 13, 2011

I currently work at Red Hill Montessori part time and I couldn t be happier with my employment. It is a joy to work with all the staff and students. The staff are very helpful to each other and there is a great deal of teamwork on a daily basis. Every staff member has the common goal of maximizing each child s education and experience here at Red Hill Montessori. I have also had the pleasure of working directly with Ms. Leila. She has a very strong personality and an extreme passion for the students and for her school. It is this passion that has taught me a great deal about working with children. Ms. Leila expects the best and will not settle for less. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity of working with her and at Red Hill Montessori. Each time that I am at the school, I can see the staff working together and encouraging each student to do their best. The environment at Red Hill is very warm and welcoming. I always look forward to coming in to work.

Posted November 2, 2011

Red Hill Montessori has been serving the Farmington Hills community for over 21 years our mission is to work hand in hand with our outstanding, supporting parents. I am a very upfront person and always say what I find to be the truth and not what people want to hear. Many times this is taken as rudeness. The year after our new building expansion, we began our infant/toddler rooms, this expansion opened opportunities for new staff which we hired in great numbers and in a speedy manner. The other false accusation that we are not Montessori could not be further from the truth. All of our classrooms are Montessori prepared environments, and have one or more Montessori certified teachers, in addition to me. We also have an independent Montessori Consultant that works alongside the teachers. Lastly, I would like to address the comment regarding the fact that after a negative comment is posted it is followed by 3 or 4 positive ones. This is perfectly understandable as we have a close and supportive community of parents that are always ready and eager to defend and support the school anytime an unfair comment is posted. Leila Charlesworth, Principal Red Hill Montessori Academy

Posted October 4, 2010

We have two children 11 and 6 years. Both were students of RedHill Montessori. 11-year old was with this school for 3 years and 6-year old was there for 4+ years. We live in Novi with about 15 miles away from this school. Both of our children are now in Northville public schools. Choosing this school for our children was one of the greatest gifts given to them. This school has provided best all-round curriculum that our kids can absorb. Both have received structured and well-organized academics and extra-curricular activities including Music, PE and field-trips. As parents, we have encouraged our kids to follow teachers' directions and complete Homework. That's all we did for our kids during their stay at RedHill (formerly Farmington Hills Montessori School). Both of our kids are doing great in Northville public schools with advanced-curriculum. Many thanks to Ms. Leila, Mr. David and others.

Posted September 20, 2010

All I can say is WoW! Red Hill Montessori is an excellent school. My son has attended Red Hills for 3 years and I must say I am completely pleased with the education he is receiving. The teachers are very dedicated and nurturing to the students. They gently encourage all of the students to do their very best. That is why the students excel academically. In addition to all the successfully teaching going on at Red Hills, it possesses a family atmosphere that will give any parent comfort that their child will be cared for. Last, I must mention that the director, Leila Charleworth has a vested interest in the academic and emotional growth of all of the students. She personally listens to every student read and calls the parents just to see how the school year is going. Red Hill is a wonderful place for a child to be educated.

Posted December 19, 2009

We are so pleased and happy that we choose Red Hill for education for Elaine, Thank you so much for your tremendous effort of teaching kids and specifically Elaine.

Posted November 19, 2009

My son is now 4 and we enrolled him at Red Hill when he was 18 months old. He is now reading cover-to-cover books, writing legibly, doing double digit additions and much more! His teachers from Prep Jr, Prep Sr and now at Pre-K are extremely loving, patient, attentive and supportive. To them, knowledge has no limits and they continue to challenge each kid to maximize their potentials. Ms. Leila is a wonderful 'second' mother to all of the students. She knows every student by name. She takes it to heart when kids are lagging among their peers and work with them individually. She is a disciplinarian, very upfront and honest-- which we love. She is not afraid to tell us when she has concerns about how we used to 'baby' our child. Some parents might take her honesty as a criticism but we love her for it.

Posted November 12, 2009

Outstanding School! I'm pressed by the amount of teach/parent involvement. I feel connected at all times with what my daughter is learning.

Posted November 11, 2009

My child was a student at Red Hill Montessori. I took my child out because the principal Ms. Lelia was one of the rudest people I had ever encountered. She treated her staff like garbage, said whatever she wanted to the parents and personally disrepected me on more than one visit. Do not go to this school!

Posted October 13, 2009

Red Hill Montessori is a wonderful school. The Director, Teachers and Administration are extremely supportive and caring towards all the children and their families as well as eachother.

Posted September 22, 2009

Red Hill Montessori is a great school academically but there is too much behind the scenes drama. The directors behavior and attitude are highly disrespectful. She does not appreciate the Teachers who devote themselves whole heartedly to provide a nurturing and academically advanced classroom. I would not recommend parents to this school. Don't get me wrong, you won't find better teachers but the environment here is filled with negativity and disrespect. Children do not need to be a part of that in any respect.

African-American 33% 19%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 33% 3%
Multiracial 10% 2%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • One of the top ten schools in Michigan (2005)
  • Best of Farmington Childcare (2009)
  • Best of Farmington Childcare (2008)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

School start time
  • 7:00am
School end time
  • 6:00pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Portuguese

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

29001 West 13 Mile Road