No rating

Roosevelt Primary School

Public | K-3 & ungraded | 459 students

Posted July 9, 2014

My son has attended Pre-K and first grade here and this school just teach the basics. There's no challenge for the kids to want to learn more. There's also a lot of half days and off days, very inconvenient for working parents. I'm currently looking for a better school for my son to attend. It's not the worst school but it's not the best either!

Posted February 17, 2013

I have a child attending Roosevelt Primary School, we transferred from Ann Arbor community schools and I must say this school hasn't been the best experience for my child. I feel as though my child's teacher doesn't give the proper attention to issues addressed from the students. I have volunteered for different activities, and sat in the class to monitor the daily routine to see personally how a normal day goes by. I feel my child needs to be placed in a more advanced and challenging class. I feel there needs to be more programs available for the students. I have asked several times about starting a Girl Scout's program, yet haven't heard anything back. My child will not be attending Roosevelt next school year. The parents of the students need to pay closer attention to their child(ren) and focus more at home with teaching them how to respect the other students and their space. With all of the good reviews I've heard about this school gave me the idea that moving my child to this district would be a better idea, I strongly disagree.

Posted June 1, 2011

In response to the email below... I was the one who wrote the review you were speaking of. My children were in the brain based program and all the same things were expected of the parents in those classrooms as well. I was lucky enough to find a school where all children are treated with respect and get the same great education without having to think that someone is better than them because they get to have extras that not all the classes get (ie olympics). Also, if you have discipline issues at Roosevelt you get extra attention. That is a great lesson to teach our children, act wrong and you earn extra privileges. I am so happy to have found our new school but more importantly my children are so happy.

Posted May 28, 2011

In response to the below comment: My daughter is in an open classroom at Roosevelt, and you are right, ALL KIDS DESERVE the quality of the open classroom. My daughter far exceeds the standard for her grade, and I think that the open classroom setting as well as my active role are to be credited for that. I think it is a great program, one that requires a great deal of participation from parents time wise (spending a lot of time in classroom, on projects at home, field trips, substantial homework ) and financially as most of the classroom necessities, trips, parties, snacks etc. are provided by parents. For parents who can invest this...it is fantastic....however, it is not without some more negative effects. Kids in an open classroom are segregated from the kids in "Brain based" classroom and unfortunately, this restricts them socially. This segregation also creates some kind of stigma on them, and I have witnessed some teasing and bullying because of it.

Posted October 15, 2010

Wonderful, caring school. My daughter is in third grade and has attended Roosevelt since first grade. She attended a Waldorf school prior to first grade and we love how Roosevelt embodies many of the same principles as the Waldorf philosophy. There is a focus on the whole child, which is really important for their development. I also cannot say enough about the Open Program and the encouragement of parental involvement. We are very happy with our choice of schools!

Posted July 17, 2009

One of the things as a parent that is so frustrating to read over and over is how schools seemed to be judged soley on MEAP scores and the truth is schools are so much more then a score. When you attend Roosevelet you feel like your child is the most important child to the principal to the teachers. There is this awesome morning ritual where music is playing, kids read outside their class, and each child is greated by their teacher with a high five, or a hug and it is the child's choice of how they want to great their teacher. Ms. Krause believes that the extra touch of a hug or high five is essential in bonding with the children. As a volunteer in the school, I am often greated by students from all the different classes with a hug or high five or even a wave.

Posted July 16, 2009

This is the community of families we were wishing for when we left private school. After meeting the principal and visiting the school we didn't even try to go to the other elementary school in the area. I love the involvement of the parents and how that is welcome and encouraged - they get that involved parents make for a better educational experience. And I'm thrilled with the plans to add enrichment activities next year.

Posted May 22, 2009

We love Roosevelt! Roosevelt provides the close knit feel of the community that we live in. We actually ended up in Roosevelt's open classroom program because we didn't get into the open program at Kennedy and we could not be happier. We wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Roosevelt has gotten a bad rap for too long. Roosevelt has wonderful teachers, students and parents. My son wakes up every day and can not wait to get to school!

Posted April 28, 2009

I actually moved my son from Royal Oak district to this school. The teachers work together really well and there is a gentle and consistent spirit in the school. They work really hard to create a feeling of cohesion and responsibility. My son's confidence has really risen here. My youngest started kindergarten here and I adore the open classroom and the 'school family' he has aquired. Kindness is really big in this school and that is a big deal to me. They teach a lot of ways to handle stress and aggression as well. My oldest is a low functioning reader and I feel they work really hard to bring him up to speed and he has made huge strides this year... my youngest is on track and I feel that he is being challenged and his needs are being addressed as well.

Posted April 25, 2009

I too have repeatedly brought to the schools attention the bullying my son receieves, with no satisfactory results. The schools seems more interested in count day and MEAP scores than providing a satifactory learning experience.

Posted March 25, 2009

The effort put forth by this school community is nothing short of outstanding.. Innovative, caring, exciting,new ideas, are just a few of the words to describe Roosevelt.. The children even have a jogging club with the Principal. Outstanding and commendable.. Good job by the entire school..

Posted January 5, 2009

My daughter attends Roosvelet and I have been nothing but pleased with the school. The staff from the princiapl to the teachers, to everyone who works there is outstanding. Education is a top priority to the students and you can tell that the moment you walk in the door. Ms. Krause has done an amazing job at Roosevelt and I wish the schoold would receive more postive recognition.

Posted July 31, 2008

Roosevelt is a winner of two awards, one state and one national. It uses a brain-based learning system that has raised all test scores. This school is great and has a warm, welcoming environment!

Posted July 29, 2008

uld have attended a school like Roosevelt. From the principal and her office staff to every teacher in the school - these people really care about our children. They are child-oriented, friendly and kind. Plus their reading program is outstanding and the building was awarded to honors for our Brain Smart Start. Can't do better than that!

Posted May 11, 2007

My child has had a lot of problems with bullying from other students. We have brought this to the school's attention without any results. The school shows no concern over the children's safety.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

103 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

2013

2011

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 59% 18%

• (248) 586-8804

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now