No rating

St John Vianney Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 37 students

Living in Flint

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $56,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $690.

Posted June 6, 2014

I have three children who have gone through SJV and could not be happier with the outstanding education they received. Dedicated and highly qualified teachers, family environment where my children thrived! We love SJV!!!

Posted June 6, 2014

My son just completed 8th grade at this school. I can't say enough about the wonderful education he has received while at St. John Vianney! The teachers are great and the curriculum is outstanding! As a parent of a student I can say that the experience of being a part of this school is one that our entire family will dearly miss. They truly care about each child. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a great education for their children.

Posted August 18, 2013

This catholic school is behind time in every facet of education compared to any other catholic school in this area. Most of the teachers are negative, judgmental and stubborn. The dress code and rules are out-dated and old, just like the building which is freezing cold in the winter and burning hot in the summer. The books we are using are 30 years or older, which is sad. They're always asking my parents for more money, besides the tuition fee, but I never notice any improvements around the school. The parents are asked to drive throughout the year on several field trips and never shown any appreciation. A gas card, a luncheon, or any act of gratitude would be nice for parents who volunteer their car, gas, and time to help supervise & transport the students. I noticed certain students are favored due to the parent involvement in the school. Teachers and parents gossip a lot which I think is childish. I would expect the parents and teachers to lead by example and show a God-like attitude. When coming to this school, I was expecting a more God-like environment and better educational benefits. It seems that this school is just as bad as a public school, but they claim its better.

Posted August 15, 2013

St. John Vianney School is very outdated with their rules, dress code, and the textbooks are old. The teachers are stuck 25 years in the past and refuse to step up into the 21st century methods of teaching which require the teachers to listen, adapt, and accommodate the individual needs of each and every student. There is a lot of gossip among the parents and teachers, which is very immature and unprofessional. There are many cliques, favoritism among the students that have parents that are constantly brown-nosing the teachers by paying additional money and buying equipment that the school can purchase. They're always asking for additional money, aside from required tuition, which I am yet to see any noticeable improvements that the school has made such as, their own school bus, sports field, bleachers for the gym, auditorium and paid volunteers to supervise the students at recess, lunch, field trips, and other activities that teachers are not supervising the students. Each school year, parents are asked to put in 10 parent hours or pay $150 extra at the end of the year. I don't know where that money is going but I believe that money should go to the things I just listed.

Posted July 27, 2013

This school has been nothing but detrimental to my child both academically and emotionally. The teacher was a very negative, selfish, and judgmental individual who did not value the students. The overall feel of the environment at this school is one of exclusivity where students are not valued for their differences. Personnel seem more concerned about the institution than the students they are supposed to be educating. It is unfortunate that some of the teachers are not invested in the education of the students. There is also a lot of gossip that happens in the parking lot between parents and sometimes even in the halls between parents and teachers. Very sad for a school that claims to have God at its center.

Posted June 5, 2013

My daughter has been going to SJV for the past 8 years and will now be going to 8th grade and makes me very sad that this is her final year because I love this school-teachers-parents so very much.

Posted May 23, 2011

Best school in Flint. Really helps make Flint a better place through peace.I will always rember this school for the great place it is.

Posted December 3, 2009

This is an excellent school with a great system for parent involvement. The students come from a very wide variety of economic and ethnic backgrounds. There is a nice balance between academics, arts and physical education. A beautiful playground, a committed staff and involved parent community!

Posted August 30, 2006

I enrolled my two boys last school year. They were both in the public school system prior to last year. I yearned for an environment that fostered both excellent academics and a Christian attitude. The public schools have taken God out of the students day, St. John Vianney has given me the security of knowing that my children are praying, attending mass and inviting God into their day, everyday!

Posted February 19, 2005

St. John Vianney Catholic School provides the finest experiences and opportunities for children, who are our treasures and our future. As a staff, we strive to enable students to achieve their dreams. Our parents are an integral part of our school, and their commitment and support to our mission of educating their children enables us to do more for and with our students. Each student is challenged, supported, encouraged, motivated, and nurtured adacemically, spiritually, and socially. We are a family, and respect and love each other as such. The success of each of our students is testimony to the effort that is made to meet the individual needs of each child who is a member of the SJV Family. Learn more about St. John Vianney Catholic school at www.SJVKIDS.com.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 23, 2004

National standardized test show that this school ranks as one of the top in the nation. This school has everything a parent could ask for and more. From an award winning music/voice program, spanish classes and computer lab to a symphonic band and a full menu of extracurricular sports programs.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

African-American 30% 19%
Multiracial 6% 2%
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (810) 235-2811

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Lansing

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2319 Bagley Street