Flint, MI

St John Vianney Catholic School 4

Posted September 15, 2014
I use to live in flint and my son went to this school for a year before we moved i loved this school. The teachers were awesome, friendly environment, great education and no bully problems...keep up the great work!

Posted August 07, 2014
SJV is a great school, emphasizing high academic standards while incorporating religious values. SJV teaches students to be excellent students who value their education and also encourages students to take an interest in their community and give back. SJV teachers are up to date on common core curriculum and current trends in education. This is not only a terrific school, it's a warm environment for students that nurtures a love of learning.

Posted August 01, 2014
My son graduated from SJV this spring (my last grade schooler). This school has very high academic standards and it's students perform very well academically. This is only part of what makes it such an excellent school. It is diverse socially and economically and presents a real world environment for it's students. A portion of the student body are not catholic; the school is welcoming to students an families of all backgrounds.The teachers are incredibly devoted to these kids and their families. They are always searching for creative and challenging ways to teach the basics, and to encourage each student to stretch and reach their full potential. The music program is outstanding. There are opportunities for parental involvement and it is strongly encouraged. As a result, most families and the teaching staff have close relationships. It has been really gratifying to raise my kids in this warm, supportive and challenging environment. I will miss SJV, they do a great job, and graduate accomplished young men and women who are ready for the challenges of high school.

St John Vianney Catholic School 2

Posted July 23, 2014
I am highly disappointed with the progress of this school. Having read some of the reviews given here, I can definitely agree with the gossiping problem. I am appalled that someone who sits and talks about children and parents all day is allowed to be a teachers aid for a Catholic School. This was once a fabulous school, but it has greatly diminished in it's moral values. On the other hand, there are a few wonderful teachers who do go the extra mile for their students. The current principal is a wonderful, fair and caring person. However, a handful of people cannot carry the whole school on their backs. Money is a huge problem when it comes to the way individual children are treated. It saddens me to know that a God based school has such problems. I thought religion based education was suppose to follow God's example......maybe I was wrong.

Posted June 06, 2014
I have three children who have gone through SJV and could not be happier with the outstanding education they received. Dedicated and highly qualified teachers, family environment where my children thrived! We love SJV!!!

Posted June 06, 2014
My son just completed 8th grade at this school. I can't say enough about the wonderful education he has received while at St. John Vianney! The teachers are great and the curriculum is outstanding! As a parent of a student I can say that the experience of being a part of this school is one that our entire family will dearly miss. They truly care about each child. I would highly recommend this school to anyone looking for a great education for their children.

Posted August 18, 2013
This catholic school is behind time in every facet of education compared to any other catholic school in this area. Most of the teachers are negative, judgmental and stubborn. The dress code and rules are out-dated and old, just like the building which is freezing cold in the winter and burning hot in the summer. The books we are using are 30 years or older, which is sad. They're always asking my parents for more money, besides the tuition fee, but I never notice any improvements around the school. The parents are asked to drive throughout the year on several field trips and never shown any appreciation. A gas card, a luncheon, or any act of gratitude would be nice for parents who volunteer their car, gas, and time to help supervise & transport the students. I noticed certain students are favored due to the parent involvement in the school. Teachers and parents gossip a lot which I think is childish. I would expect the parents and teachers to lead by example and show a God-like attitude. When coming to this school, I was expecting a more God-like environment and better educational benefits. It seems that this school is just as bad as a public school, but they claim its better.

Posted August 15, 2013
St. John Vianney School is very outdated with their rules, dress code, and the textbooks are old. The teachers are stuck 25 years in the past and refuse to step up into the 21st century methods of teaching which require the teachers to listen, adapt, and accommodate the individual needs of each and every student. There is a lot of gossip among the parents and teachers, which is very immature and unprofessional. There are many cliques, favoritism among the students that have parents that are constantly brown-nosing the teachers by paying additional money and buying equipment that the school can purchase. They're always asking for additional money, aside from required tuition, which I am yet to see any noticeable improvements that the school has made such as, their own school bus, sports field, bleachers for the gym, auditorium and paid volunteers to supervise the students at recess, lunch, field trips, and other activities that teachers are not supervising the students. Each school year, parents are asked to put in 10 parent hours or pay $150 extra at the end of the year. I don't know where that money is going but I believe that money should go to the things I just listed.

Posted July 27, 2013
This school has been nothing but detrimental to my child both academically and emotionally. The teacher was a very negative, selfish, and judgmental individual who did not value the students. The overall feel of the environment at this school is one of exclusivity where students are not valued for their differences. Personnel seem more concerned about the institution than the students they are supposed to be educating. It is unfortunate that some of the teachers are not invested in the education of the students. There is also a lot of gossip that happens in the parking lot between parents and sometimes even in the halls between parents and teachers. Very sad for a school that claims to have God at its center.

Posted June 05, 2013
My daughter has been going to SJV for the past 8 years and will now be going to 8th grade and makes me very sad that this is her final year because I love this school-teachers-parents so very much.

St John Vianney Catholic School
2319 Bagley Street, Flint, MI  48504
Last modified St John Vianney Catholic School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
St John Vianney Catholic School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top