Thomas A. Edison Elementary School

Public | PK-6 & ungraded | 475 students

Posted August 5, 2014

This school is a horrible school. The teachers are not involved in the students academics.My daughter has an IPad from this school and the WiFi did not work. They do all their assignments on the IPad and they did not excuse her from the assignments nor let her do them on paper. She went from an honor roll student to special help.

Posted March 23, 2014

Withdrew our child because of caddy parents, gossip, "clicky" students, staff that seems to have preferences to students and parents, safety issues, lack of recess supervision, lack of support for advanced students in early grades, total support of the delayed, unclean classrooms and overall dissatisfaction of not only Edison, but the district as we also pulled our child out of Richards Middle School. Glad someone is writing something nice as it might help as people research the sale of our home in Fraser. I am not some fruit cake or caddy parent. Just speaking honestly. We all have standards. Edison did not live up to the standards of our family.

Posted September 6, 2013

We are starting our third year at Edison and are very happy with the school. Teachers get the kids motivated and pay attention to individualized growth. Now to address the safety concern...before each recess the kids were told which apparatuses are "open". I know this by witnessing it first hand plus my child would keep me updated on which ones opened. Out of 25 kids, if your child was getting stuck on monkey bars so many times you had to videotape it then maybe you needed to talk to your child about following rules. As for videotaping, the school threatened a restraining order. You stopped taping kids. They did their job by protecting our kids. Nobody should be allowed to tape kids at play. It is wrong! For it to be in your legal right to do that scares me! We will agree to disagree...our experience at Edison has been nothing short of fantastic, yours was not.

Posted September 6, 2013

this is my child's 4 year at Edison. I have been a room mom/party planner for everyone of his classes. I praise the teacher's, the principal, and staff for a wonderful job. I know for a fact that since my child was in the dk program that until 1st grade they are not allowed on the monkey bars.so instead of video taping your child in distress maybe You should have helped him. In the time my child has been in Edison the only complete I have ever had was with one of the kindergarten mother who not only used the f word in class multiple times during a class party but took it upon herself to show off her ultrasound pictures to my child without my permission.When that person removed herself from the school from the class it was a wonderful thing. This woman who video taped the children playing I have a question for you, did you get permission from anyones parents. I bet not. After reading the negative posts from Jan. 2 and Aug. 25 I have a feeling they are from the same person and all I have to say is you made your choice to leave Edison behind so why do you have to bash our wonderful school? it was 2 yrs ago, let it go, negativity can be just as bad for you as not washing your hands.

Posted September 6, 2013

This is our third year at Edison. My son is in 2nd grade this year. We came to edison I'm the middle of his kindergarten year. I can tell u we were in Lamphere school district for the first half of the year. When we came to Edison my son was behind by months. His teacher was eccellent with helping him and getting him caught up. I loved her for that. She gave him a lot of attention and always welcomed me with any questions I had. I have no problem with this scjool whatsoever. The staff and the principal are always willing to sit down with you at anytime if you have concerns. I'm sorry I don't know who the person is that is saying that their child was stuck on monkey bars for 20 min. I don't believe that at all The recess is only about 18 min to begin with and I find it hard to believe as a parent that any other parents would sit and watch their child stuck on monkey bars for that long and not run over there to help them but instead sit there and just video tape it. Again I don't know who you are but obviously you were not happy with the school and you left but we are happy here and there is NO perfect school out there.

Posted August 25, 2013

After reading previous parent's post I feel obligated to advise that I too was a room mother & helped out w/ reading. Which lead me to be concerned for my child's safety & education. I expressed concerns to the school & district. I was informed the issues were isolated & would be reviewed. However, the issues continued. In my efforts to prove to the Superintendents office that rules may be in place, but not enforced, I began to video tape evidence. Not to exploit anyone, but to raise awareness. I hired an attorney, contacted the police and found that I was well within my legal rights as a parent. The Superintendents office after watching a video of my kindergartner stuck on monkey bars, which by grade level rules he was never to be allowed, for 20 minutes crying w/ two teachers within 30', never even looked his way as they chatted with each other, finally call over as the bell rang to get down and discover he was stuck. I was told that too was isolated & IF I did not stop video taping events...The school would file a restraining order against me where I could only drop off /pick up & not be allowed in the building or ground. That is how the school handled the "incident(s)".

Posted March 2, 2013

I am so happy that my children are at Edison. We have been here for a couple years and feel blessed to be apart of the Edison family. I have always felt completely welcome walking into the office. The staff in the office and in the school are very welcoming and friendly. My children are getting a wonderful education and extra help when needed. The teachers go above and beyond for the students. I am excited for the years to come for my children at Thomas Edison Elementary.

Posted January 2, 2013

I reside 2 blks away from Edison, just behind Richards Middle & Fraser HS & now drive 20 min 1way & pay for private school. My son was in Kindergarten 2011-12 & we pulled him out in the middle of the year. Edison and Fraser Schools have a great Public Relations staff and have hired the best advertisers. Edison does not practice hand washing, despite signs every where. They give the kids hand sanitizer all day and encourage the sanitizer over actually washing. They play all day, sanitize then eat at thier assigned tables which are NOT wiped down daily. Filthy floors w/ rugs that are caked w/ food and dirt. Other grade level parents say none of the desks and tables are wiped down daily. My son was on antibiotics 5x in 4 mo. The recess field backs to a creek & public park where strangers walk through with 1 adult to 30+ child supervision ratio. Harassment is a problem Rules are not enforced,throughout the district. Kids are mistakenly put on wrong busses. There are Great teachers & Principals in district, but they are seldom. Test scores and money is priority. Teachers are overwhelmed glorified babysitters. PTA consists of the principal and 4 parents. It seemed a Fun place to party!

Posted April 26, 2009

What a wonderful school! All of the staff is excellent. I couldn't ask for a better school for my girls.

Posted January 13, 2009

This is my son's first year at Edison and just beginning his elementary education. He loves it and his teacher. I'm pleased with the staff and school. I do recommend being involved in the PTO to get a better understanding of the struggles our schools go through to fund events. Also, it's a great way to stay informed with your children's education. Fraser is a great school system and a great community.

Posted May 28, 2008

My son attended Kindergarten here. He had too much homework, was treated badly and pressured to perform by his teacher. He hated going. He excels now that we've changed schools. homework

Posted October 24, 2005

Great leadership. Outstanding parent involvement. Nice neighborhood to raise a family.

Posted September 16, 2004

I have been extremely pleased with the education my child has received at Edison. She is now in first grade, and very well prepared, both academically and socially. Kudos to the staff and parents that make Edison work.

Posted February 4, 2004

I am so proud to have my children attending Thomas Edison Elementary there aren't enough good things to say about our school! The principal and the staff here truely care about our children.

Math

The state average for Math was 40% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

59 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 70% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 51% in 2014.

86 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 45% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 17% in 2014.

61 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2014.

68 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 27% in 2014.

69 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Reading growth at this school

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 net growth (significant improvement/improvement - significant decrease/decrease) according to Performance Level Changes from the state of Michigan.

African-American 14% 18%

• Dr. Kristi Weiss

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now