Arts Academy in the Woods

Charter | 9-12 & ungraded | 314 students

Living in Fraser

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $80,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $670.

Posted March 9, 2013

I went on a tour of the school and I was very impressed on what they had to offer. I liked everything about the school. I think I will be sending my child there next year. If you like arts and music this is the school to go to :)

Posted April 10, 2012

This is not a school that prepares you for careers or college. There are no advanced programs, they don't talk about or prepare you with the things you need to go on to university or a career in the fine arts. I was very disappointed and didn't understand the extent of the damage of not attending a quality high school until it was too late! The principal is very inexperienced and doesn't have a developed sense of the diverse needs of children this age.They do not honor or respect parent views (even when the parent is an educator).I would NOT Recommend this school.

Posted August 28, 2011

AAW is the top ranked school in Macomb County, according to this Free Press story. Great news! There's so much more to a school than test scores, but it's nice when the state's evaluations confirm what the community knows - this school rocks!

Posted June 9, 2011

No advanced classes and very little structure. Parents recieve very little help when trying to help their students find colleges and financial aid. Security is poor and building is rather run down and a eyesore in the community.

Posted October 22, 2010

I wish I knew how to correct the incorrect information on this site! AAW is not a D- school, it's a B school, the highest rating of any public school nearby. The school has made adequate yearly progress and the academics are strong. Our enrollment is up this year and the school spirit is strong!

Posted June 10, 2010

I just finished my freshman year in college as a former AAW student I did meet alot of wonderful people in school, however I was not at all prepared for College and have to take many classes over just because I did not get the basics taught to me at AAW

Posted May 24, 2010

What can I say, my child has done very, very well her first year at AAW. The parent involvement is awesome at this school. My daughter has really gotten her drive both artisically and academically from this school. Teachers and Admin are very accessible to parents when/if there are concerns.

Posted May 24, 2010

My daughter is a junior at AAW and her experience at this school has been outstanding. The instructors work closely with their students, reaching to support their individual needs and interests. There is enough freedom for creativity to bloom and enough sturcture to brings those ideas to fruition! Louisa Spina-Liburdi

Posted May 24, 2010

I can't say enough great things about AAW. My daughter just completed her first year here, (sophmore), and fell right into the niche she's been looking for for so long. The diversity, the staff, and most of all so many art departments guarantee to bring out creativity and passion in every student! All students (and the staff) not only experience learning but learn experience as well!

Posted April 22, 2010

Lack of honor classes, and lack of instrumental music and drama are the major areas of concern as a parent. The safety of this school is another area that needs improvement. A clear concise policy needs to be adhered and established. Nice kids at the school however they deserve more challenging academics.

Posted April 21, 2010

I am a parent of a Junior who's child will attend another school next year for many concerns about AAW. The safety issue and lack of plans in place to deal with issues that have occured this year and the lack of staff and arts with instrumental and theatre gone as well as a solid guitar program in place the school lacks direction and the adminstration to support it. Academics are not stressed and a guidance support staff is not helpful nor do they return calls.

Posted December 14, 2009

This is a great school and the teachers are wonderful. More parents need to look into this school for their kids it is unique and the greatest thing is that you don't just have to show up and no kids are left behind and the mentality is not to just pass students onto the next grade and where it's not all about the funding..... Check it out!!

Posted August 9, 2009

I'm going to try to be as honest and unbiased as I can in this review, but as much as I enjoyed my time spent at AAW I don't think the academics were very up to speed. I can't speak personally about all the art programs, but the 2D and 3D departments weren't very strong when I attended. It's my understanding that if you are interested in dance or guitar it's a great school, but the visual art is weak. I also feel as though there weren't enough electives and extra-curricular activities. I will say though, I can't imagine a better creative writing program and I hope in the future students can use it as a major. Also the students are generally easy to get along with and very accepting. It's guaranteed you can feel comfortable and find friends there.

Posted May 19, 2009

I graduated from AAW in 2008, AAW was and still is an excellent school for any kid to express themselves. i have learned so much in the Arts as well as in academics. I'm now at Wayne State majoring in Psychology and minoring in Photo Journalism.

Posted May 19, 2009

Arts Academy is a wonderful school. The classes are fun and the teachers are great. While you succeed in academic work you also strive in a performing art - just for you! Teachers work well with one on one and are there because they love the students, not because its a job.

Posted May 19, 2009

I was a part of AAW's first graduating class back in 2005. I found my experience to be very rewarding and felt prepared to enter the big wide world of college. But AAW isn't for everyone. You will only get what you want out of the experience. No one is going to hold your hand, only you can make your self successful.

Posted May 18, 2009

I'm 1 of the class of 2008 A.A.W. really gave me a boost in life that other high schools couldn't, but that's just me. I loved the time I spent there.

Posted May 18, 2009

Although Arts Academy is still in it's developing stages, the education I received at Arts Academy prepared me well for college. Individual attention from teachers helped develop me into a come confident student. Now, a Junior in college, I am entering my senior year with a 3.78 GPA, something I would have never imagined obtaining when I entered Arts Academy.

Posted May 18, 2009

I am an Alumni of this school (05) and I can honestly say it changed my life. I can't imagine being the same person I am without having attended this amazing school. It opened my eyes to diversity and acceptance. Besides that, I was able to do what I loved (ballet and acting) in a supportive enviroment. This enviroment offered a variety of performing oppurtunities including (but certainly not limited to) the Degas Art opening at the DIA and September 11th rememberance ceremonies (2002). The small classes allowed me more individual attention which enabled me to excel academically. In turn I was offered great scholarships (theatre and academic) for college. I just graduated cum laude from Adrian College with a Degree in Psychology and Theatre, and feel blessed to have attended such a great highschool. Arts Academy taught me to always strive for excellence.

Posted May 18, 2009

I was fortunate enough to be part of the first graduating class at AWW in 2005. I spent all four years of high school there and they were the best years. You could definitely see the staff and faculty were very passionate about what they taught us and the students were very passionate about their art subjects.

Grade level

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 26% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

2014

Scale: % proficient or advanced

Source: Michigan Department of Education

Math

The state average for Math was 29% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2013.

76 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 26% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 38% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 50% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Michigan used the Michigan Merit Examination (MME) to assess students in grade 11 in reading, writing, math, science and social studies. The MME is a standards-based test, which measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Michigan. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Beginning in the 2011-2012 school year, the Michigan State Board of Education implemented new definitions of what it means to be proficient on the MME test. In addition, they have recalculated past years' results using these new standards for proficiency, making the above year-over-year results comparable.

Source: Michigan Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

ACT participation

Average ACT score

Graduation rate

1 Test scores are based on 2012-13 MEAP results from the state of Michigan.

2 This rating is based on composite ACT scores from 2012-13 and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2011-12. ACT participation represents the percentage of 11th graders taking the ACT. Because the ACT is mandated in Michigan high schools, ACT participation is NOT included in the GreatSchools rating.

African-American 31% 18%

• (586) 294-0617

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Special education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Sports