Public charter
Fraser, MI

Posted November 08, 2014
I am an AAW alumnae, and I am so thankful for my experiences at AAW! It is an amazing place with great students, teachers, and staff that value education and the arts.

Posted October 06, 2014
My daughter loves to go to school! She likes her teachers, she is enjoying the freedom to be herself and not be judged. Having visual arts classes each day is wonderful for her. I find all teachers very engaged and supportive. We are very happy at Arts Academy in the Woods.

Posted October 05, 2014
This is my second year here at AAW, and it's amazing! Most kids dread school; they hate the students and they hate their teachers. But I can honestly say that AAW makes school fun! Yes, you read this correctly. A high schooler just said school was fun. It is! First, the students are more than nice. When I first came here, I made a bunch of friends; even senior friends. Nobody at AAW judges me for the way I look. Bullying is so rare at AAW... (you can't stop bullying 100% unfortunetly) but I strongly believe that if you've been bullied in the past, you won't have any problems here. In fact, this school will help you gain friends. This school is also fun because the nice teachers help you and you won't be afraid to ask for help. Not to mention, the classes are very small so the teacher can have more time with you. More help = less homework! But unfortunately, the homework is not fun, (LOL) One more great thing about AAW is the classes. 2D Art, 3D Art, Piano, Guitar, Jazz Band, Dance, Theater, Choir, etc. There's so much this school offers! And the school actually TEACHES YOU STUFF YOU DON'T ALREADY KNOW! It's like a free lesson with your friends! All in all, just go to this school!

Posted September 13, 2014
My daughter absolutely loves AAW! I'm very happy with the staff and students. I'm so glad she has finally found a school where she feels she "fits" .

Posted August 27, 2014
It offends me that people judge the "looks" of the building and not what's inside !!! This is my daughters second year at AAW & the staff, principal & the kids are magnificent !! It is NOT a schools job to find your kid financial aid, that's YOUR job as a parent. As far as career interests & guidance, I've discussed this with my daughters counselor extensively, and Mr. Belcher has been nothing but helpful !! The school itself could use a few updates, but when there are less then 400 kids there, they probably don't get a whole lot of money for updating the building , their focus is on the kids is what's important to me as a parent ! At public schools in the area the student to teacher ratio is 45 or 50 to 1, at AAW, it's more like 25 to 1, and I'll take more hands on education ANY day. AAW helped my child to flourish, become confident, & reach for her dreams ! She has blossomed into a lovely young lady thanks to AAW & their unique approach to teaching !!! Great job everyone !!!

Arts Academy in the Woods 4

Posted March 09, 2013
I went on a tour of the school and I was very impressed on what they had to offer. I liked everything about the school. I think I will be sending my child there next year. If you like arts and music this is the school to go to :)

Arts Academy in the Woods 1

Posted April 10, 2012
This is not a school that prepares you for careers or college. There are no advanced programs, they don't talk about or prepare you with the things you need to go on to university or a career in the fine arts. I was very disappointed and didn't understand the extent of the damage of not attending a quality high school until it was too late! The principal is very inexperienced and doesn't have a developed sense of the diverse needs of children this age.They do not honor or respect parent views (even when the parent is an educator).I would NOT Recommend this school.

Posted August 28, 2011
AAW is the top ranked school in Macomb County, according to this Free Press story. Great news! There's so much more to a school than test scores, but it's nice when the state's evaluations confirm what the community knows - this school rocks!

Arts Academy in the Woods 1

Posted June 09, 2011
No advanced classes and very little structure. Parents recieve very little help when trying to help their students find colleges and financial aid. Security is poor and building is rather run down and a eyesore in the community.

Posted October 22, 2010
I wish I knew how to correct the incorrect information on this site! AAW is not a D- school, it's a B school, the highest rating of any public school nearby. The school has made adequate yearly progress and the academics are strong. Our enrollment is up this year and the school spirit is strong!

Arts Academy in the Woods
32101 Caroline Street, Fraser, MI  48026
Last modified Arts Academy in the Woods is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Arts Academy in the Woods Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 73 reviews. Top